Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Newbie Model/Texture Importing To Amnesia Problems
The Shanus Offline

Threads: 15
Newbie Model/Texture Importing To Amnesia Problems

Alright guys, here I am again. I've decided to take a shot at modelling, and I have a question. Firstly, related to the title, I'm using 3DS MAX 9, and have created a simple table. I've textured it myself by creating a quick texture in photoshop to make it seem as if it has watermarks from being wiped, and it looks fine in 3ds Max. The problem is, I've textured it in 3ds Max as a .jpeg file, and the amnesia model editor seems to require I use a .dds file, which 3ds Max refuses to read? Which I'm assuming is why once I export the whole thing as a .DAE, the modelview.exe crashes. What to do?

Thanks.

[Image: theshanusyoutube.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2012, 03:59 PM by The Shanus.)
08-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Newbie Model/Texture Importing To Amnesia Problems

Something must be borked with your installation of Max? 3D's max can handle .dds textures perfectly well.

Supposedly there's an issue with max 9 when running on vista which prevents it from reading dds, are you on windows vista?
08-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-05-2012, 04:55 PM)Traggey Wrote: Something must be borked with your installation of Max? 3D's max can handle .dds textures perfectly well.

Supposedly there's an issue with max 9 when running on vista which prevents it from reading dds, are you on windows vista?
No, I'm on Windows 7 32-Bit. The problem is when I try to use the texture as the bitmap for the diffuse of the material. It works as .jpeg, but there is no .dds from the dropdown list of acceptable formats, so I put it as all formats and use the full "name.dds", and then it gives me the error that it is an invalid file type.

08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

In that case all I can say is re-install or try to find a plugin to load dds files, 3Ds Max 9 IS supposed to be able to handle dds files, I know this because I worked with that verision before upgrading to 2012 myself and I had no problems using dds.

Why use such an old verision anyway? Just get a free verision license of the newest Max over at Autodesk.com
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM by Traggey.)
08-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

.jpeg works fine as textures. The Penumbra dog uses it and he loads fine in Amnesia.

- Make sure you have the texture in the same folder as the model.
- Make sure the material file has the same name as the diffuse texture.
- Delete the .mat and load the table in ModelView. A .mat should be generated automatically if everything works fine.
- I don't know if it's important but make sure the .jpeg is square. It should be 256x256 or 512x512. Whichever is closer. This is important to .dds files for mipmap support, but again, I'm not sure if it's the same for .jpg.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM by Statyk.)
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

I'll do that Traggey, not sure why I haven't already. Statyk, where would I go about renaming the material file?

08-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

There should be one folder in your custom story folder holding the entity. It should contain your .dae and its diffuse (specular/normal = optional). They should be the only thing in there at this point. if you had to move the texture, you're going to have to re-apply the texture in 3DS Max and re-export the .dae.

Once you have the re-exported table and files in place in your custom story folder, run ModelView. Load the table.dae in there and it should load the model up, as well as the texture. The ModelView will automatically generate a .mat file, as well as a .msh.

There should be one folder in your custom story folder holding the entity. It should contain your .dae and its diffuse (specular/normal = optional). They should be the only thing in there at this point. if you had to move the texture, you're going to have to re-apply the texture in 3DS Max and re-export the .dae.

Once you have the re-exported table and files in place in your custom story folder, run ModelView. Load the table.dae in there and it should load the model up, as well as the texture. The ModelView will automatically generate a .mat file, as well as a .msh.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2012, 06:01 PM by Statyk.)
08-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-05-2012, 06:01 PM)Statyk Wrote: There should be one folder in your custom story folder holding the entity. It should contain your .dae and its diffuse (specular/normal = optional). They should be the only thing in there at this point. if you had to move the texture, you're going to have to re-apply the texture in 3DS Max and re-export the .dae.

So I need more than just the .dae in that folder? Is the diffuse not part of the .dae?

08-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

No the diffuse is not part of the dae, you need to have the textures the materials and the DAE file in the folder you're exporting to, also the diffuse applied to the model in Max must be the one located within your custom model folder otherwise it will not load properly.
08-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Find
The Shanus Offline

(08-05-2012, 06:22 PM)Traggey Wrote: No the diffuse is not part of the dae, you need to have the textures the materials and the DAE file in the folder you're exporting to, also the diffuse applied to the model in Max must be the one located within your custom model folder otherwise it will not load properly.
I still have no idea where to find the material as a seperate file. Statyk says it's in a folder which does not exist because I have not created it yet?

08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Find