Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Questionnaire (SPOILERS!!)
smapho123 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Penumbra Questionnaire (SPOILERS!!)

Spoiler below!

Overture

At any time during play did you...

...call Phillip an idiot for a) going to Greenland in the first place, b) wandering the wilderness with no shelter but that convenient mineshaft, or c) not bailing as soon as things started to get weird?

a) No, but he really should have brought a satellite phone or something like that.
b) Yes.
c) No.

... cuss out the auto save when it saved at the worst possible moment?

I didn't actually cuss, but I did get pretty ticked when it saved right before I died in the spider chase.

... have to go back to an earlier save because you forgot something important?

I don't think I did.

... shout out loud for Red to shut up whenever he started yammering on at the wrong time?

I just ignored him.

... go from being annoyed by Red’s jaw flapping to welcoming it because it was the only friendly thing in the whole area?

Yes. I thought Red was annoying at first, but then I welcomed the "Radio is transmitting" text.

... get stuck on a puzzle, consult an internet walkthrough, and then feel like an idiot because the answer was so damned obvious?

No but it did take me about an hour to solve the generator puzzle (I didn't know you could break the fences by the shaft).
... wish you hadn’t turned the generator on?

Yes. I thought it would be much easier to hide from the dogs if the lights were off.

... wonder if the dogs regained their health whenever they ran off screen because the one you were trying to kill just wouldn’t die?

Yup.

... crouch on top of a crate or barrel with pickaxe in hand and get weird looks from family/friends/roommates as you called “Here puppy, puppy, puppy...”?

I didn't get any weird looks, but I did do that.

... say out loud “Hey mutt, I’m right here!” to a dog that you were hoping to kill as it walked right past you without even seeing you?

I don't think I did.

... got weird looks (and the occasional concerned sounding “Are you alright?”) from friends/family/roommates when you fell off the barrel or crate and were shouting and cussing at Phillip because he just wouldn’t jump back up there?

I never fell of a box in the first place.

... wonder after running from a giant worm “What the hell am I doing here?”?

Actually no, I was too freaked out to be thinking anything like that.

... feel physically ill and try to stop the incinerator?

I didn't feel sick, but I did try to turn off the incinerator.

... feel sorry for Red when you learn just how long he had been down there?

Yes. Very.

... feel even more sorry for Red once you learned that he had been a child when he was stranded down there?

Yup.

... get steamed at least a half dozen times in the Refinery?

Yes. I probably died at least 20 times there.

... try to flee from a dog and end up running right smack into it instead?

Yup. Fortunately there was a catwalk I could get up to. Unfortunately I jumped off it and died.

...accidentally set yourself on fire during the spider chase?

You could do that?Huh

(If you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent first...)
... walk into the Refinery and think: “This isn’t the Refinery.”?

Now that I think about it, yes I did.

... deliberately blow yourself up with the explosive just for laughs?

No. Instead I tried putting them in cupboards and such to see what happens.

... jump down in those large crevices towards the end just for kicks?

No.

Black Plague

... wonder who's nightmare inspired that weird ass dream sequence thing?

Not really.

... chuckle the first time you saw an Infected?

No. I was way too scared.

... find the voice of the Infected humorous?

I actually found it demonic.

... laugh hysterically when you died during a tense moment?

I don't think I ever died at a tense moment.

... think sarcastically that the Archaic sounded like a great company to work for?

No, but I literally said "WTF is going on here!?" when it got to the cyanide capsule part in the instructional video.

... grin like a maniac even as you were trying to stay alive because you were having such a good time?

Not really.

... chuckle at some of the things that Clarence said, even as you imagined yourself wrapping your fingers around his throat and squeezing?

Guilty.

... let out a screech/shriek/scream when the body damn near fell on your head while climbing the scaffolding?

Yes. It was really scary because I thought there was going to be another worm encounter.

... freeze to death while wandering around outside?

No. I was quicker than that.

... at any point, say something to the effect of: "Oh you've got to be kidding me!" upon seeing what diabolical hoops you were going to have to jump through to get what you needed?

Actually, I didn't.

... after jumping through said hoops have to take a minute to let your hands stop shaking?

Nope.

... spend a few minutes just staring in mute horror at Amabel?

No, but I was really upset.

... give Clarence multiple death threats? Bonus points if you said them out loud.

Yes, but I didn't say them out loud.

(If you plays The Sims, Minecraft, or any other game that allows you to build stuff from the ground up)
... start thinking of what you would need to do to build the Shelter in your chosen game?

N/A

Requiem

... accidentally crush yourself under the giant block crusher?

Yup. I didn't even see the crusher. I stood on the switch and screamed, "How did I die!?"

... accidentally fall in the water during the Sewer level and felt surprised that you could swim?

No. I knew Philip could swim from Black Plague.

... wonder who among the gang at Frictional is the Donkey Kong fan?

No, but I did make a comment about Donkey Kong at that part.

... have the physics go completely wonky at random moments, which caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen?

Yes. I was trying to push the fuse with the battery (on the snow level) and the battery kept going through the floor. I was a good thing I was holding onto it.

... eagerly wait for the PA system to start up again, just so you could hear what kind of weird things it was going to spout off?

Not really. I just thought it was weird.

(If you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent)
... think that Alexander was talking to you at a certain point?

Never.

... have to remind yourself on multiple occasions (if you already knew ahead of time) that there were no monsters in the game?

Yes. It was the only thing that kept me going forward.

... when it was all said and done, sit back and ponder how it felt like a lifetime ago that you started it all back in Overture?

Yep. Especially since it ended with the boat at the beginning.

Death is the final unknown.
08-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Spoiler below!

Overture

...call Phillip an idiot for a) going to Greenland in the first place, b) wandering the wilderness with no shelter but that convenient mineshaft, or c) not bailing as soon as things started to get weird?
A.) No, who wouldn't be curious about their father like that?
B.)Yeah, you could have hired a guide or something!
C.)I'm not sure what you mean. "Weird" like "dangerous mutant-doggies" or "hearing harmless whispering noise?"

[b]Not really, it was never inconvenient

Nope

... shout out loud for Red to shut up whenever he started yammering on at the wrong time?
No, but I did get a little annoyed

... go from being annoyed by Red’s jaw flapping to welcoming it because it was the only friendly thing in the whole area?
Good god, yes.

... get stuck on a puzzle, consult an internet walkthrough, and then feel like an idiot because the answer was so damned obvious?
Nope. No walkthroughs for me!

Sometimes. The light brought reassurance, but left me feeling vulnerable as well

... wonder if the dogs regained their health whenever they ran off screen because the one you were trying to kill just wouldn’t die?
No, I was more concerned about him bringing a friend back with him!

... crouch on top of a crate or barrel with pickaxe in hand and get weird looks from family/friends/roommates as you called “Here puppy, puppy, puppy...”?
Nein

... say out loud “Hey mutt, I’m right here!” to a dog that you were hoping to kill as it walked right past you without even seeing you?
I was probably thanking God at those moments

... got weird looks (and the occasional concerned sounding “Are you alright?”) from friends/family/roommates when you fell off the barrel or crate and were shouting and cussing at Phillip because he just wouldn’t jump back up there?
Nope, family left me alone.

Er, no. It made me just that much more curious to know what was happening.

Only a slight twinge in the gut (on top of a horrible feeling). I did try shutting it off, though.

I felt bad for him way before then!

... feel even more sorry for Red once you learned that he had been a child when he was stranded down there?
Of course!

Damn near enough to that amount

No, but I did run several times into another dog (that had been called over)

Yes. Dodgy

Nope, played Penumbra first

I think it was on my second play-through, and I was feeling silly

No.

Black Plague

Not really

NO. I was too busy not getting my head bashed in.

No, I thought the voice was okay

Nope

... think sarcastically that the Archaic sounded like a great company to work for?
Oh yeah. It's worse than Black Mesa!

... grin like a maniac even as you were trying to stay alive because you were having such a good time?
Nope, there was very little smiling on my part

... chuckle at some of the things that Clarence said, even as you imagined yourself wrapping your fingers around his throat and squeezing?
Yeah, the sick fuck.

... let out a screech/shriek/scream when the body damn near fell on your head while climbing the scaffolding?
No, but it did increase my blood pressure.

Nope

... at any point, say something to the effect of: "Oh you've got to be kidding me!" upon seeing what diabolical hoops you were going to have to jump through to get what you needed?
Oh god, yes. The cycling lights in the Kennel were disheartening

... after jumping through said hoops have to take a minute to let your hands stop shaking?
No

Yes. SHE made me feel physically ill

... give Clarence multiple death threats? Bonus points if you said them out loud.
I gave 'em, but not aloud

(If you plays The Sims, Minecraft, or any other game that allows you to build stuff from the ground up)
... start thinking of what you would need to do to build the Shelter in your chosen game?
Not really

Requiem

... accidentally crush yourself under the giant block crusher?
I almost did, but I was smart enough to keep walking. I did do it intentionally though, later. Big Grin

... accidentally fall in the water during the Sewer level and felt surprised that you could swim?
Nope. Black Plague already taught me you could swim.

... wonder who among the gang at Frictional is the Donkey Kong fan?
Nope

... have the physics go completely wonky at random moments, which caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen?
That happened occasionally with all of them

... eagerly wait for the PA system to start up again, just so you could hear what kind of weird things it was going to spout off?
A little bit.

(If you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent)
... think that Alexander was talking to you at a certain point?
No, but I did recently find out Eminiss and Alexander are voiced by the same person. So I can see how that could have happened.

... have to remind yourself on multiple occasions (if you already knew ahead of time) that there were no monsters in the game?
I find myself hoping there WOULD be monsters

... when it was all said and done, sit back and ponder how it felt like a lifetime ago that you started it all back in Overture?
Definitely. What a slog!

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM by graykin.)
08-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Find
BerenSaralonde Offline

Threads: 3

Overture

A) No
B) Yes
C) No

Neutral

Yes, yes, and yes

Yes (I was afraid the dogs might hear)

Neutral

Yes

Yes, not scary enough

No

No

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Black Plague

No

No

No

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Almost

No

Yes

Yes

Neutral

No

Yes
11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

Overture

Oh yes. If he had any brainfunctions left he should've left at the latest when he saw the first dogs or the spider guy getting killed. Wait for the blizzard to pass and then run as far as he could from the hatch.

For me there wasn't any bad moments with autosave.

Dunno about important, but sometimes I found myself from a new area before I had examined the previous ones completely. I went back to make sure I hadn't missed any items or notes.

Haha, I don't understand people who hate Red and Agrippa because they're so talkative. :--D For me their chatter was more than welcome and I was eager to hear more of stuff. I tend to emphatize a lot while playing games, watching movies or reading books.

Same as above. To me it wasn't annoying.

Oh yes. Overture's puzzles were luckily quite easy but in Black Plague I was stuck every now and then and I started to feel pretty stupid.

Well, yes and no. I don't like darkness too much but in these games I've learned to like it since it gives you shelter from monsters.

I'd rather not to kill any of the dogs. Main reason for this may be because I'm a dog person to the core. I like them so much that I don't want to kill them even if they're mutated zombie dogs. The another reason for not killing them is the thrill. They're more scary if they're alive. Plus I don't have a compulsional need to kill stuff even if I'm given an opportunity to do it.

Uhh... no. :'D

Nope.

Nnno I usually play horror games alone.

That. And "Why the hell am I going deeper?" And "What the f*** was that?"

Not ill exactly, but I had a not-so-pleasant feeling like someone was squeezing my stomach. And yes I tried to stop it.

I was kind of relieved that his pain was over but I still I could've punched him because the bastard was my only friend and he left me there alone. *shaking a fist*

No. Because I was too busy to be furious at those adults who had let him to go there in the first place.

ROFL. Omg I've probably never died so many times at the same spot in any game. :'D I knew how it's supposed to be done but my memory is just a mess when I'm nervous.

Yes, countless of times. And every time my heart almost jumped out from my mouth.

Haha yeah. Lol. /facepalm

Yeah. I was thinking of Amnesia's refinery until I remembered that this isn't Amnesia, dumbass.

No. I don't get kicks from killing myself on purpose. However, if I accidentally kill myself in some stupid way I usually lol.

Definitely NO. I hate heights. Both irl and games. D:

Black Plague

Actually I was thinking "Whooa, Philip's head is so messed up. Get a grip, man!"

Chuckle? I was whimpering behind a fallen table and hoping he'd go away.

No. It's creepy as hell.

Usually these situations feel really stupid because of my panicking so yes.

Nnoo, I don't like any lab stuff. I've watched too much Resident Evil. And I'm scared of hospitals etc. too. D:

Yeah. At the same time when a tuurngait was chasing me I was thinking "This game is so frigging awesome. <3"

Now THIS is the first time I've hoped someone to shut up. Probably my most used phrase during Black Plague was "Shut up, Clarence. Shut_the f***_up."

Yes, but immediately after I started to laugh hysterically because it reminded me of a certain song. (;

Nope. I didn't even know you can freeze to death until I watched let's play where someone else died.

Many times, but worst was probably the light/shadow tunnel in kennels. My reaction after discovering I have to go there: "HAHAHAHAHAHA. No." :<

Mostly yes. And wondering how the hell I did that, and boasting to myself that ohohoo I made it. Cool

I swear if someone had been with me back then, they'd have got an awesome picture of my face. My eyes were probably like plates and my mouth was open. After I had done that for a while I yelled "Clarence you son of a b****!"

Yes yes yes. And after leaving Amabel's place there was a very little room for fear. I was just so mad and the only thing I was interested in was getting rid of Clarence.

I play the Sims3 and I have a habit of creating some of my favourite game/book/movie characters in there who look mostly like human. However, it would be perfect only if you could also create some more non-human characters. Oh how awesome it would be if you had some grunts and brutes as virtual pets. xD

~
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM by Carrna.)
12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I only included Overture, here goes.

Spoiler below!

Overture

a) No, why would I do that?
b) No.
c) I thought it would be rude. There was no way out, so...

--- I was stuck inside a mine cart. And not to mention, the previous autosave was made when 2 dogs were biting my butt off.

--- I forgot the Baxtrin.

--- I found it annoying, but I didn't yell.

--- Yes.

--- That never happened to me, since I figured something out approx. 20 minutes after discovering it.

--- Only when I opened the gate with the code 5738.

--- That is what I felt, until I noticed that it doesn't do that.

--- I don't talk that loud...

--- In my mind, yes. Normally, no.

--- That didn't happen.

--- That wasn't the only question I had.

--- Heart-breaking moment. I couldn't do anything. I even reloaded an autosave, and refused to start it, until I knew you need to do it.

--- Yes.

--- Yes.

--- I got steamed at least 3 times. It was annoying, but I made it.

--- In the mines, there was one that started chasing me. I ran in a big circle, and hoped I lost it. Then I started running again, and I suddenly bumped headfirst into it.

--- No.

--- That is what I thought, until I realised "this isn't Amnesia."

--- It happened accidentally. I wondered what happened when I saw that it didn't blow. I started running to it, when it kissed me.

--- My balance surprises me...

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I'm speechless.

08-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Website Find