Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappearance
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Disappearance

So, a custom story that I'm working on at the moment has an annoying habit of randomnly deciding to flicker in and out of existence.

Even if I make zero changes to that custom story (I don't even open up the hpl editor or edit any of its files), sometimes it just disappears from the custom stories menu list when I open up Amnesia.

A fix for me is to constantly delete the file from the redist custom folders list and then copypasta it back again. But it only works 33% of the time, about. What's the problem here?

[Image: p229xcq]
08-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Disappearance

It could be due to errors (either with the files themselves or where they are placed); I sometimes have that same issue when I have the level editor or notepad++ open to a file in the mod that is unsaved.

I rate it 3 memes.
08-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

I've confirmed that my custom story appears only on every third startup of Amnesia, which is just completely bizarre.

08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Do you have any of your custom story files in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Chrono, are you a Derpy Cherry or an Angry Gumball?
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-12-2012, 09:29 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Do you have any of your custom story files in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore?

Yes.

The current story I'm working on is down there, along with a few invisible ones (not shown in normal custom stories folder) that I deleted. What to do?

Edit: Also I have not saved once in my custom map so there is no map_cache

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012, 12:47 AM by Froge.)
08-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-12-2012, 11:31 PM)Chronofox Wrote: Yes.

The current story I'm working on is down there, along with a few invisible ones (not shown in normal custom stories folder) that I deleted. What to do?

Then it is possible your issue is related to the VirtualStore cache. Files get placed in the VirtualStore when the user doesn't have permission to modify the contents of the Program Files (and Windows) folder. This means Windows does something stupid with programs ran by the user. Instead of denying access, Windows lies to the programs and this may or may not cause issues. What you can do is run the Amnesia programs as administrator every time you want to use it, or you can "take ownership" of your custom story folder and see if that helps.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Unfortunately, not one of those suggestions worked.

Edit: Alright, this problem is honestly bizarre and silly. Went to VirtualStore and deleted the map there. Then I opened up the maps of my custom story in leveleditor (running it as administrator obviously) and saved them under documents with different names, and did the same with the corresponding Notepad++ files. Downloaded a new Amnesia Custom Story pack and copypasted these new maps and script files into the "map" folder of the amnesia custom story pack. Copypasted the extra english.lang file and the custom_story_settings file as well as some extra music into this new story pack. Deleted the old file from my custom stories list. Copypasted the story pack back in. Used the program above to take ownership of Custom stories. Ran Amnesia as administrator. And still, it takes exactly 3 reloads of Amnesia for the story to disappear.

Would anyone mind if I uploaded my file up onto the internet and let somebody download it to see what's wrong?

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012, 04:36 AM by Froge.)
08-13-2012, 03:20 AM
Find