Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why does the Xbox 360 have trouble with anti-aliasing?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Why does the Xbox 360 have trouble with anti-aliasing?

Today I got bored and I fired up my Xbox to play GTA 4 (aka GTA IV (TBOGT) I don't know about others on the forum but my desktop is decent (can play most modern game maxed out) but GTA 4 schools my poor GT430 :'( Any way let me get back on topic... why does the 360 have so much trouble with it? I mean it makes fun games (like GTA and COD (yep I play it)) look bad. I also have other minor issues with it like when too many cops/bad guys try to kill me and I start to shoot things get a bit laggy. Is the game at fault or the system? I have wondered if the 360 is just getting older (well more older) or what...

Note: please don't bash me for playing 360 I don't have that much extra money to upgrade my GPU and what not. As you can probably tell by now I have more than one question... No flame wars please.

EDIT: I also wanted to know when you play a game (lets say GTA 4) when you move the camera while the car is moving does that make the GPU work harder? sorry if these are dumb questions but I don't know the technical side of the Xbox 360 very well.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 10:44 AM by darkely.)
08-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: Why does the Xbox 360 have trouble with anti-aliasing?

Xbox360 specs
As you can see, it has only 512 MB's RAM and GPU is older than Cthulhu. I hope this explains something for you Smile
08-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Yeah, that's really super simple. It's like what, seven years old hardware by now?
It's just not powerfull enough to do anything decent.
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(08-12-2012, 12:08 PM)Deep One Wrote: Xbox360 specs
As you can see, it has only 512 MB's RAM and GPU is older than Cthulhu. I hope this explains something for you Smile
(08-12-2012, 12:10 PM)Traggey Wrote: Yeah, that's really super simple. It's like what, seven years old hardware by now?
It's just not powerfull enough to do anything decent.

Wow... I thought the Xbox 360 had at least 1GB (GPU) EDIT: had a 1GB GPU (I thing I am confusing the time...). Well I still love my games and playing them on it however the jaggies are annoying. I notice that AA is better in some games than others...

EDIT 2: I just want the 360 to be able to handle its own games... that is not asking that much. If GTA 4 would not lag when I switch targets and when driving I could deal with the jaggies.

COD Black Ops - for the most part things look decent
GTA 4 - When driving the road, car, and other things have jaggies.

I don't like to pick on the 360 so much but the jaggies (and a few other things) are a big immersion breaker for me. Any way I am just going to deal with it.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM by darkely.)
08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

Or get a good gaming PC and play with 8-16x AA and dont worry about jaggies anymore.

Also GTA 4 is a lot more resource demanding than black ops.
08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(08-12-2012, 09:19 PM)Arvuti Wrote: Or get a good gaming PC and play with 8-16x AA and dont worry about jaggies anymore.

Maybe you did not see the text in my original post...

(08-12-2012, 10:37 AM)darkely Wrote: Note: please don't bash me for playing 360 I don't have that much extra money to upgrade my GPU and what not. As you can probably tell by now I have more than one question... No flame wars please.

Any way I just got my first real job so once I get some money I'll upgrade - or I will just feed Micro$oft rather than have my hardware going obsolete within a week.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM by darkely.)
08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Do as I do, go back to xbox classic, enjoy some good games and don't worry about the graphics. M'yes.
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

I beat GTA IV The Ballad of Gay Tony it was way to short Sad

08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

360 really should have been put out to pasture a long time ago, sure, when it came out, it was a great console, powerfull, fast and with eyepopping graphics that really needed one of those "NEW FANGLED HD TV's" to experience. and thats the problem..."NEW FANGLED HD TV"... a Long time since HD was state of the Art, its 3D HD now!

360 came to the end of its real shelf life 5 years ago i think, and yet for some reason, microsoft kept it going. sure, its got some good games on it... but, it really, really should have been replaced years ago.

ON topic, IIRC, ATI chipsets have Always had issues with anti aliasing and Open GL engines, perhaps had microsoft used an NVIDEA chipset they may not have had so many jaggies problems, until recently, as many of todays graphics engines such as Frostbite 2 and Cryengine 3 are capable of monstering even the latest PCs, so no way an antiquated console will cope.

on the GTA4 vs Black Ops things, you are aware that IWengine 4 is basically ID TECH III at its core programming? yes, thats right, QUAKE III ENGINE! sure its still a great engine, there are games on it that look better than many of todays AAA titles (SOFII, Elite Force II (even my new quad core system with its dual nvideas struggles with that one at max!), etc) its miles out of date, it predates the 360, hence why 360 has no problem,. were as the RAGE engine in GTA is a lot younger than 360, it was designed primarily for PC, thus 360 has issues running it due to its outdated chipset, so the AA support had to be disabled for the 360 version or you would get about o....n....e...f...r...a....m...e....p....e....r...s....e...c....o...n...d.

To get a decent 30 FPS out of it, they had to maul the spec, set the details to medium and turn of the AA, its like trying to run a Frostbite 2 engine game on a XP system, sure it will go, but if you want any sort of decent framerate, youve got to turn EVERYTHING off and have all settings at Low.

i dont care about graphics, no, i Like to have good ones, but id much rather have great gameplay but terrible graphics than Awesome graphics but gameplay i find Unplayable. but at the end of the day, i really dont think its a good idea to extend tech so past its shelf life it cant keep up. as it ruins gaming for millions, it ruins it for gamers who buy games that are ported from PC to console because they pay more money for an Inferior product, and it ruins it for pc gamers who make the mistake of buying a game ported from consoles because of the fact it looks Terrible and has severe reliability issues (constant game ending glitches... cough...the run...cough) because it was designed for a tech spec they probably got rid of 7 PC's ago!
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM by the dark side.)
08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
Gaviao Offline

Threads: 3

i had the same problem 5 months ago,i asked for support and microsoft said that i should install gta 4 in my HD, it worked,no lag, at 50-60 fps! try it!

Projects i'm working on
The Dream:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dream
Amnesia:Fear in Hands
http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-fear-in-hands
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM by Gaviao.)
09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Find