Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need motivation for map making.
MentallyUnstablePie Away

Threads: 3
Need motivation for map making.

I've been working on this little project with a couple of buddies and I've been assigned to work on map creating.
It's terrible, it's like a hidden mine that caves in behind you. You have a flashlight with you that has a limited amount of battery remaining. I'm supposed to make a very eerie cave type of place and animate the monster my friend modeled/rigged/textured. Animating is easy but I just suck at the map making so much, I need motivation/ ideas for maps. Any suggestions/pictures/or advice from cavers?

08-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Need motivation for map making.

Well, I'm no caver, but, first you have to develop a more coherent idea about what you want your game to be about - not in great detail, but in broad strokes. Think about the flow of the game, what should happen, when and how, and why. Think about what you want the player to experience.

Then take a pen and a piece of paper (still a great tool in the computer age!) and draw a sketch of the map, or more than one. Write comments, questions, labels, etc... Remember, this is a sketch, not a formal design document, so it doesn't have to look neat or get everything right. The purpose is to help you with your thought process, and to help you develop ideas and understand your future game better.

Then Google up some cave images, dark spooky passages, cave wildlife, etc., and see what elements you can use in your map (paper version), or maybe how your map should be changed in order to be more realistic.

Once you have a decent grasp of what your game is going to be and what the cave should look like and what it should provide in terms of gameplay, start modeling. But remember that you can make changes and improvements as you go. The important thing is not to start making something that later on turns out is not what you need; but you won't have that problem once you know the general direction you're aiming for.
08-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Find
MentallyUnstablePie Away

(08-19-2012, 11:04 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: Well, I'm no caver, but, first you have to develop a more coherent idea about what you want your game to be about - not in great detail, but in broad strokes. Think about the flow of the game, what should happen, when and how, and why. Think about what you want the player to experience.

Then take a pen and a piece of paper (still a great tool in the computer age!) and draw a sketch of the map, or more than one. Write comments, questions, labels, etc... Remember, this is a sketch, not a formal design document, so it doesn't have to look neat or get everything right. The purpose is to help you with your thought process, and to help you develop ideas and understand your future game better.

Then Google up some cave images, dark spooky passages, cave wildlife, etc., and see what elements you can use in your map (paper version), or maybe how your map should be changed in order to be more realistic.

Once you have a decent grasp of what your game is going to be and what the cave should look like and what it should provide in terms of gameplay, start modeling. But remember that you can make changes and improvements as you go. The important thing is not to start making something that later on turns out is not what you need; but you won't have that problem once you know the general direction you're aiming for.
I actually see it somewhat better Thanks for the tips +rep for you
[Image: S36dZ.jpg]

08-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Also try to get up early in the morning. I don't know what kind of type you are, but getting up early helps me having a lot of energy

Trying is the first step to success.
08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Find
MentallyUnstablePie Away

(08-20-2012, 09:04 AM)beecake Wrote: Also try to get up early in the morning. I don't know what kind of type you are, but getting up early helps me having a lot of energy
I can't, I have school and I have to work most of the time, i get 10 hours of free time every week

08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-20-2012, 08:58 PM)MentallyUnstablePie Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 09:04 AM)beecake Wrote: Also try to get up early in the morning. I don't know what kind of type you are, but getting up early helps me having a lot of energy
I can't, I have school and I have to work most of the time, i get 10 hours of free time every week
That is sad Sad Well yea ok, but being fresh and clear in mind, is always good. How about taking a shower, drink some water, and then begin the level editing..

Trying is the first step to success.
08-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Find