Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

HL2 EP2: Grey Mod.
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: HL2 EP2: Grey Mod.

(08-28-2012, 02:40 PM)Sexbad Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 10:46 AM)Traggey Wrote: Whilst it might be called a ''shitty jumpscare mod'' for source standards please do keep in mind that it's nowhere near the jumpscare crapfests that are seen around here ever so often.
That's a pretty terrible defense.
It's better than anything I've seen produced by the amnesia modding community is what I'm saying.

Keep in mind this is a mod, not a standalone game just like the stuff we create around here.
08-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

perhaps those of you not finding it remotely scary could just try and stop seeing it as a horror and just see it as "a proper FPS with jumpscare elements and a mild horror theme?" perhaps you might enjoy it more as a proper FPS rather than as a horror game? (just trying to help...dont shoot me!)
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM by the dark side.)
08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(08-28-2012, 03:36 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 02:40 PM)Sexbad Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 10:46 AM)Traggey Wrote: Whilst it might be called a ''shitty jumpscare mod'' for source standards please do keep in mind that it's nowhere near the jumpscare crapfests that are seen around here ever so often.
That's a pretty terrible defense.
Not really.
Yeah, it's still a crappy, derivative jumpscare horror shooter that isn't worth anyone's time.

Just because Big Rigs Over the Road Racing actually exists, that doesn't mean that the racing in a game like RAGE is actually worth it, at all.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM by Sexbad.)
08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Rage was a terrible game, Period! the whole thing stank, if thats what we can expect from ID in the future, lazy, derivative COD clones with broken vehicular sections that feel like a budget burnout copy crossed with the mother of all insults to carmageddon, then perhaps bethesda should just axe the studio right now. perhaps you could think of a better example of a great game damaged by bad vehicular segments (cough, "Agent Under Fire" on gamecube, Cough), than just using a genuinely bad game...

as i said, i dont really see cry of fear as a horror game, grey is probably the same, yes they have moments in them that genuinely have me screaming loud enough to send the street deaf, but they are not really horror in the vein of say penumbra or amenesia, they are more "Resident evil in first person" classic Shooters with jumpscares and horror inspired monsters. played as that, they become far more enjoyable than they are played as pure horror. very few games can actually be played like that.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM by the dark side.)
08-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(08-28-2012, 07:44 PM)the dark side Wrote: Rage was a terrible game, Period! the whole thing stank, if thats what we can expect from ID in the future, lazy, derivative COD clones with broken vehicular sections that feel like a budget burnout copy crossed with the mother of all insults to carmageddon, then perhaps bethesda should just axe the studio right now. perhaps you could think of a better example of a great game damaged by bad vehicular segments (cough, "Agent Under Fire" on gamecube, Cough), than just using a genuinely bad game...

as i said, i dont really see cry of fear as a horror game, grey is probably the same, yes they have moments in them that genuinely have me screaming loud enough to send the street deaf, but they are not really horror in the vein of say penumbra or amenesia, they are more "Resident evil in first person" classic Shooters with jumpscares and horror inspired monsters. played as that, they become far more enjoyable than they are played as pure horror. very few games can actually be played like that.
RAGE was an absolutely amazing shooter that was terrible at everything that wasn't shooting. The AI, weapons and environments gave me a feeling of visceral brilliance I hadn't felt since F.E.A.R. I was addressing RAGE because of the unacceptable vehicle sections that, by Traggey's defense, could probably be acceptable because some brainless hacks in Russia did racing worse.

And no, even as an action horror game (rather than survival horror), it's just a terrible game. It's just one AI-less enemy rushing at you down a corridor at a time, and then you gun it down. That's lazier challenge design than cover shooting, for fuck's sake.

08-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Rage was a AAA developed standalone game.

This is a mod for HL2.

You can not compare the two.
08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Rage was a call of duty clone Modern Shooter, NOT a "Proper" shooter. Hl2 IS a "proper" shooter, and by dint of uisng its mechanics, so are its mods, so you cant compare the 2 anyway in my opinion just on pure gameplay terms, the most important thing for me, id rather play a low budget mod with the gameplay i like than some multi Million pound AAA modern shooter that has gameplay i cannot stand.

Rage was completely unacceptable IMO in all mechanics, it was just another lazy "design by comitee" consolised, americanised, pasturised, dumbed down modern shooter, with ALL the mechanics that make a game downright UNPLAYABLE (i have to emphasise that) for me. such as health regen with bloody screen (i can tolerate it with a lifebar, but i just cannot understand the bloody screen hint) dumb AI compared to more than one classic game (they ignore grenades, yet Ps1 had more than one game that had Ai that interacted with them!) Forced Dynamic Scaling effect corsshairs (wich make me physically sick due to focal distraction), Aim Down Sites, patronizing hints every 5 seconds that cannot be turned off, etc. It was just call of duty in terms of its core gameplay, and to me, someone who beleives "gameplay is everything", then the whole game is just COD.

In fact i felt the shooting in Rage was WORSE than the racing, because it just copied call of duty, at least the racing Tried to be a little different, even if it did end up as a lazy hybrid of burnout and a cheap carmageddon knock off, racing in FPS is pretty unusual, i have to give credit for trying there.

i am glad you liked the game, "each to there own, said the girl as she kissed her cow" after all, but personally i thaught it was unaccpetably lazy, poorly made, and just another boring, consolised, "design by numbers" modern shooter/"call of duty clone". as i said, if that is what we can expect from ID in future, then Bethesda might as well Axe them right now. i would. they are clearly no longer competant to make a proper FPS game.

i rank a mod, even if less than well made, far higher than ANY design by commitee Modern "AAA" Shooter like RAGE, because at least the modders actually BOTHERED to try to make something unique and different and used there imagination to try and take the elderly engine used in a new art direction instead of just making the usual "brown and grey and blown up buildings" war/apocalypse environment and tried to do something NEW with the old, tradtitional, and IMO, Superior gameplay mechanics of those classic games instead of just lazily copying the unplayable mess that is COD and the Consolised, Americanised and Pasturised Dumbed Down Modern Shooters the clone its inferior and unplayable "gameplay" mechanics.

sorry, i really do think Cry of Fear is better than Rage, and as Grey is probably better than Cry Of Fear, i rank that as probably better than Rage, because they actually TRIED to do something new and original instead of just making another lazy "design by comitee" call of duty clone Like ID did. i expect BETTER from them. id rather someone tried and failed to make something original thank you.

i agree though, Bad AI is unnaccpetable, even for modders, i mean, it cant be that hard to programme a simple logic system that makes them run the hell away from bullets! ps ONE could do it! so it should be no issue for a modern 128 bit plus Modern PC if a 32 bit console could do it!

(PS, big rigs was Ukrainian, Not Russian)

sorry, i Have to stick up for mods, because one day the people who programmed them will become the "Classic Id-soft", "Croteam", and "GSC gamework" 's of the future, and when the gaming industry does another 1983, it will be small companies and development groups formed by bands of modders that will keep gaming ticking over.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM by the dark side.)
08-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

I did not read that beyond the first two paragraphs.

I was not comparing the gameplay. I was comparing based on principle, namely the principle that because something worse exists, something that isn't as bad is acceptable.

And no, being free doesn't give the mod a free pass. It's complete shit no matter what the game's budget is.

08-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

So far, I haven't played the mod myself yet, but I have watched a few Let's Plays of the starting section of the game.

I have to say the main "down" point for the game is that there is no motivation whatsoever for the early sections of the game. I don't know about the later parts since I haven't got there yet, but this is the major turn-off for me: No true plot, or motivation to keep you going forward.
08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(08-29-2012, 08:45 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: So far, I haven't played the mod myself yet, but I have watched a few Let's Plays of the starting section of the game.

I have to say the main "down" point for the game is that there is no motivation whatsoever for the early sections of the game. I don't know about the later parts since I haven't got there yet, but this is the major turn-off for me: No true plot, or motivation to keep you going forward.
I DECIDED TO PAY A VISIT TO THE METH DEALERS IN A BASEMENT BECAUSE IT WAS ALONG THE QUICKEST ROUTE HOME.

AFTER THEY TURNED VIOLENT AND DEALT ME A MULTITUDE OF ENTRY WOUNDS WITH SHARP OBJECTS I DECIDED TO EXPLORE A SEWER BECAUSE IT WAS ALONG THE QUICKEST ROUTE HOME.

08-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Website Find