Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just Coded my First Jumpscare
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: I Just Coded my First Jumpscare

(08-29-2012, 09:29 PM)Streetboat Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 08:06 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: what a cool jumpscare! can u make barrel spawning too. like from no where Big GrinD? i dont think any1 have done that and it would be sooo funny if pewdiepie played on it

ur jumpscare is really good btw, maybe u shoud make it poof so people don't die. just suggestion
People like you make me wish parents actually paid attention to the ratings on games. :/
People like him make me want to become the Joker, cause then I'd put a knife in their mouth and say "Why so stupid?"
08-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Now that just seems kind of extreme.

The problem isn't necessarily that people in the community are stupid, per se (though there are certainly a fair share of stupid people), but merely not mature enough to fully grasp what Amnesia (and the horror genre) is truly all about. the problem lies more in the fact that people who are way too young to be exposed to content as graphic as that depicted in Amnesia, are in fact exposed to it as a result of either poor parenting or... well, no parenting. Then, not only are they exposed to this material (which, due to the psychological nature of it, is far more dense than any person that age would be able to intellectually grasp), but they are even allowed to do whatever they want with the assets within it. Thus, the shitty custom story is born, as people who are unable to grasp the finer psychological nuances and attention to detail that Frictional Games gave us are set forth upon those tools, and the only creations they can divvy out of these tools are the more blatant "shocking" ones that require no set-up or build-up.

I'm just trying to figure out why the fuck Amnesia of all games has attracted so many of these children.

[Image: signature-2.png]
08-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(08-29-2012, 10:29 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Now that just seems kind of extreme.

The problem isn't necessarily that people in the community are stupid, per se (though there are certainly a fair share of stupid people), but merely not mature enough to fully grasp what Amnesia (and the horror genre) is truly all about. the problem lies more in the fact that people who are way too young to be exposed to content as graphic as that depicted in Amnesia, are in fact exposed to it as a result of either poor parenting or... well, no parenting. Then, not only are they exposed to this material (which, due to the psychological nature of it, is far more dense than any person that age would be able to intellectually grasp), but they are even allowed to do whatever they want with the assets within it. Thus, the shitty custom story is born, as people who are unable to grasp the finer psychological nuances and attention to detail that Frictional Games gave us are set forth upon those tools, and the only creations they can divvy out of these tools are the more blatant "shocking" ones that require no set-up or build-up.

I'm just trying to figure out why the fuck Amnesia of all games has attracted so many of these children.
One word; Youtube, particularly Pewdiepie. While I respect him as an entertainer, I hate everything about his fanbase. They're stupid and they think everything remotely related to Pewdiepie is like them, and according to them that also means Amnesia. I used to like Pewdiepie, but after truly becoming part of this forum, seeing what his legacy has amounted to, I hate his channel with a burning passion. So yeah, I think they're stupid. Not because of their ignorance, but because they think they have anything to put on the fucking table besides shit and barrels!

And maybe putting a knife in their mouths and talking(looking as well) like a homicidal maniac will teach them what real fear is! Not a scary monster, but what the sick fuck who made this CS is going to put you through next. It isn't the knife that's scary, it's the person holding it! They think up an abundance of horrifying conclusions to be reached by the man with the blade, that death is a release from those pity, pathetic squabbles those shitheads think up!
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM by failedALIAS.)
08-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(08-29-2012, 10:29 PM)Streetboat Wrote: I'm just trying to figure out why the fuck Amnesia of all games has attracted so many of these children.
Pewdiepie, Tobuscus (maybe) Cryaotic. They all are very popular (Cry's getting there) and have relatively young fan bases (like 10-17 or something like that). That's not even counting all the other hundreds (or thousands) of LPers with smaller fan bases.

Now that explains the surplus of youngin's watching it, but the reason so many of them make mods is probably PDP; they see him put on his persona and pretend to be scared by the terrible jump scares and such, all of sudden his army of "bros" think they can be capable modders for HPL2. He only plays maps with bad mapping and no immersion* for his channel, so that's what his fan base perceives as a satisfactory mod...

...and that's how we got to where we are today.

* = In an earlier thread he said this is because he likes to play those on his own, unrecorded.

I rate it 3 memes.
08-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

I won't lie, that's probably the only time I've seen that picture that actually made me laugh. Great placement of that one, bud. Honestly perfect.

However, I won't be ashamed of a silly thread being the stem of a decent conversation. I agree with the point about Pewdiepie, and would like very much if he would mature in his videos. Perhaps if he did so, his young fanbase would get bored and move on. It's just that the material in Amnesia is not suitable for people that age, from a developmental standpoint; being subjected to torture and violence and horror from a young age can't be a good thing to be desensitized to. It's meant for people over 18 for a reason. I even think that age may be a bit young, but that's as far as the ESRB and PEGI extend.

Haven't seen tobuscus, so I can't comment on that, but I am a long-standing fan of Cry, and apart from his creepy "I love your voice" fanbase, he's a very mature fellow with clean and enjoyable commentary. I can't stand Pewdiepie's constant reference to penis, it's just... I'm sorry, but I graduated high school 6 years ago, I thought giggling at the word penis was left behind back then? At least in videos? (It's a different story when with close friends, naturally, so don't get started on that.)

08-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(08-29-2012, 10:49 PM)Streetboat Wrote: I won't lie, that's probably the only time I've seen that picture that actually made me laugh. Great placement of that one, bud. Honestly perfect.

However, I won't be ashamed of a silly thread being the stem of a decent conversation. I agree with the point about Pewdiepie, and would like very much if he would mature in his videos. Perhaps if he did so, his young fanbase would get bored and move on. It's just that the material in Amnesia is not suitable for people that age, from a developmental standpoint; being subjected to torture and violence and horror from a young age can't be a good thing to be desensitized to. It's meant for people over 18 for a reason. I even think that age may be a bit young, but that's as far as the ESRB and PEGI extend.

Haven't seen tobuscus, so I can't comment on that, but I am a long-standing fan of Cry, and apart from his creepy "I love your voice" fanbase, he's a very mature fellow with clean and enjoyable commentary. I can't stand Pewdiepie's constant reference to penis, it's just... I'm sorry, but I graduated high school 6 years ago, I thought giggling at the word penis was left behind back then? At least in videos? (It's a different story when with close friends, naturally, so don't get started on that.)
I can safely say that Amnesia terrified and disturbed me. At first I was like "meh" but when I starting thinking: people were tortured here. People died here. People had no hope here. And it kept a tense atmosphere throughout the game. I gasped out loud at some points and almost yelped when I first got chased by the Shadow.

If anybody thinks that I'm proud of the jumpscare I made, I can safely say that I promptly deleted it because I despise jumpscares. They're unrealistic and, in the long run, not scary. By that, I mean they startle you, but they don't "scare" you, if you get what I'm saying.

On PewDiePie: I think that he should start doing better custom stories (not that there are many, unfortunately) and stop faking his freak-outs. It makes me wonder: he's seen many of the complaints on this forum and he still does it. Is PewDiePie in it for the popularity and fame? The more he fakes his reactions, the longer people stay on the bandwagon. It's people like him that drown out the good channels, per say. I'm subscribed to a channel of a decent commentator who regularly uploads content I like, but overrated channels like PewDiePie and Tobuscus lower his view count per video to approximately five or eight.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Good. Streetboat, you bring a sledgehammer. Kman and Damascus Rose will bring tentacles. Statyk and Palistov will bring cows. Andyrockin, bring the fatman and the VATS. Robo, bring the big guns. I will bring my flame-proof keyboard and play "Rise Rapture, Rise" on the highest volume.

Also, fuck PewDiePie. Fuck his retarded fans. Fuck his stupid jokes. Fuck his arrogance. Fuck his egocentrism.

We will chase away all these these idiots once and for all!!!

(08-29-2012, 08:06 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: what a cool jumpscare! can u make barrel spawning too. like from no where Big GrinD? i dont think any1 have done that and it would be sooo funny if pewdiepie played on it

ur jumpscare is really good btw, maybe u shoud make it poof so people don't die. just suggestion

GTFO

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(08-29-2012, 11:10 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: *inspiring speech*
[Image: MGfIH.png]
Oh, and Zaffre gets a lightsaber.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM by Zaffre.)
08-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Sweet. I get a sledgehammer.

08-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(08-29-2012, 11:18 PM)Zaffre Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 11:10 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: *inspiring speech*
[Image: MGfIH.png]
Oh, and Zaffre gets a lightsaber.

I find my new avatar fitting to the theme. =] What do I get?
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM by Statyk.)
08-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Find