Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could This Be Considered a Jumpscare?
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Could This Be Considered a Jumpscare?

I'm working on my first custom story, and there's a section called the Flooded Archives. In it is a room. In this room, you find a diary page from a little girl. After you pick it up, you hear a splash outside and a bar falling into place, with the text "You hear something being thrown into the water....". When you go to open the door, it breaks and a Lurker rushes through. Earlier on, you hear a Lurker under your feet and a note says that the Lurker shouldn't be encountered unless the Archives have flooded with high tide, because the sea level has risen since the mansion was built.

Could the door being broken down be considered a jumpscare? I added an early warning (the door being barred and the splash outside) and I want to have minimal jumpscares in my story. Thanks in advance.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: Could This Be Considered a Jumpscare?

It's a GOOD scare!
600 posts!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

If it pertains to the story and isn't just thrown in senselessly, it's fine. There is no story, to date, that makes flying naked jesus a legitimate jumpscare. You have nothing to worry about. Jumpscares are fine, as long as they make sense. For example, the iron maiden in the Choir in Amnesia. It was a legitimate torture device and was in an area where various tortures took place. The Iron Maiden flying open and screaming at you was a little bizarre, but then again, Daniel was fucking crazy at that point. It was a legitimate jumpscare.

[Image: signature-2.png]
08-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad I can keep it.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Find