Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

New Amnesia Monsters Idea
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: New Amnesia Monsters Idea

You should seriously take it easy with the whole Lovecraft thing. It's annoying hearing people who don't know what they're talking about go on about how something is great because it's "Lovecraftian". Yeah, Lovecraft is cool, but he's not the be all end all of horror. Seems to me like for some people being a Lovecraft fan is more a question of pride rather than enjoyment. Like they are cool enough to like him. The thing is nobody cares except elitist douchebags so why bother? Just enjoy his stories and talk about why they are good, instead of using meaningless words like "Lovecraftian".
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 07:18 PM by Bridge.)
10-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(10-02-2012, 07:17 PM)Bridge Wrote: You should seriously take it easy with the whole Lovecraft thing. It's annoying hearing people who don't know what they're talking about go on about how something is great because it's "Lovecraftian". Yeah, Lovecraft is cool, but he's not the be all end all of horror. Seems to me like for some people being a Lovecraft fan is more a question of pride rather than enjoyment. Like they are cool enough to like him. The thing is nobody cares except elitist douchebags so why bother? Just enjoy his stories and talk about why they are good, instead of using meaningless words like "Lovecraftian".
Yeah, you've got a point... but damn, is he cool. Tongue

"Lovecraftian" isn't a meaningless word, though. It's the same as "Tolkien-esque", a description of a distinct style.

I like that last idea. We should make a Lovecraft appreciation thread. >:3

^(;,;)^
10-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-02-2012, 09:32 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 07:17 PM)Bridge Wrote: You should seriously take it easy with the whole Lovecraft thing. It's annoying hearing people who don't know what they're talking about go on about how something is great because it's "Lovecraftian". Yeah, Lovecraft is cool, but he's not the be all end all of horror. Seems to me like for some people being a Lovecraft fan is more a question of pride rather than enjoyment. Like they are cool enough to like him. The thing is nobody cares except elitist douchebags so why bother? Just enjoy his stories and talk about why they are good, instead of using meaningless words like "Lovecraftian".
Yeah, you've got a point... but damn, is he cool. Tongue

"Lovecraftian" isn't a meaningless word, though. It's the same as "Tolkien-esque", a description of a distinct style.

I like that last idea. We should make a Lovecraft appreciation thread. >:3
I guess not. Still, it's meaningless in the sense that it means too many things to be meaningfully descriptive. I guess the general atmosphere of his stories can be called Lovecraftian, just like Cronenberg films can be called Cronenbergian, but the term is way overused in my opinion. Just because something is "Lovecraftian" doesn't mean it's necessarily good. After all, it's the subtleties that really make something great.
10-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

It's f***ing terrifying, but it requires too much modelling and animation, if you are asking for that.

Of course, I would like to put ninjas lasers aliens and s**t but they require modelling. And it's not easy.

I'm not a "Lovecraftian" but he seems cool. I prefer my insane mind, though Cool

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

Man pig. Bam. Canon.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
10-05-2012, 03:22 AM