Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[INTERESTING ARTICLE; See Page 8] Discussion: Thoughts on Piracy
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: Discussion: Thoughts on Piracy

Kman: Check your PM folder

[Image: c5ltl.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 05:58 AM by darkely.)
09-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-06-2012, 05:34 AM)darkely Wrote: Kman: I know you've had it out for me for a while now but please stop implying that I'm in idiot. Not everything I type is garbage though you think it is for some reason.
...What? I'm serious when I say this, I honestly have nothing against you. It's just when people try to undermine the work of game devs, whether it's "some stupid CoD clone" or not, it really annoys me. I'm sorry if I was a dick to you in the past or something, but I seriously don't recall ever thinking/saying you were an idiot.

Posting Freak
09-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-06-2012, 04:39 AM)darkely Wrote: YC: you say that those who pirate are bound to fail? no I don't believe that at all. My cousin for instance he buys some software however he rents DVD's from Redbox and rips a copy of it (hes got at least 500 DVD's worth of them) and he pirates some Xbox 360 games (again he has a huge album of them). Though he still buys a lot of his games but how does any of this make him bound to fail?!

He is married, is a lawyer in Virgina, owns his own home which he is working on currently and is a soon to be father. What part of that says "failure" to you?

You know, the context of any one sentence is just as important as the one sentence itself.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(09-06-2012, 06:08 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 04:39 AM)darkely Wrote: YC: you say that those who pirate are bound to fail? no I don't believe that at all. My cousin for instance he buys some software however he rents DVD's from Redbox and rips a copy of it (hes got at least 500 DVD's worth of them) and he pirates some Xbox 360 games (again he has a huge album of them). Though he still buys a lot of his games but how does any of this make him bound to fail?!

He is married, is a lawyer in Virgina, owns his own home which he is working on currently and is a soon to be father. What part of that says "failure" to you?

You know, the context of any one sentence is just as important as the one sentence itself.
I probably should know this but I am not going to pull anything out of my ass...

I don't understand please explain laymans terms? :3

09-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

@Your Computer: I feel like this exchange is gradually reaching its close. Just so you know, I don't entirely disagree with all your points. I'm mainly trying to use this discussion as a learning experience for me :)
(09-05-2012, 09:39 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Plus, if a person be so incompetent in art without image- or sound-manipulation software, then perhaps they are designed to fail. How do you think people manage to create a work of art without software? You require this knowledge of the past to master everything the software provides. Without it, you'll be blown away by the competition. If pirating software implies a higher chance of failure of making a large impact on the market, why argue that piracy is (or can be) beneficial?
People who wish to create art do indeed need basic artistic talents in more traditional forms I agree. However, without the software, they are then unable to take their "next step" in moving towards digital manipulation. Sure they can probably learn said skills at school, or similar facility that has purchased the software legally, but if they wished to do things on their own time at home, having a copy of said software at home can massively increase production effectiveness. I'm not saying it would be impossible to keep going back to school, or someplace else to do it, it would just be so much simpler for the creator. Also, most of these works will not affect the market in any way, it's just that the amount of digital work that we could have been treated to would very well be lessened.

Your Computer Wrote:Schools and business would be perfectly fine reusing older versions of software. This would force companies like Adobe to either reconsider their prices or increase quality for their products to justify the price or both. Plus, Adobe gives discounts to schools and students for most of their products, and their upgrade prices are pretty reasonable. A free version of their products is not required. And what about an individual who never had to purchase the product because their school or job provided it for them?
Actually, from what I see currently at least, schools, and businesses seem fine with the current price tag Adobe has out for them, since they can easily afford it as they are usually reasonably-sized organizations. A halt of piracy should actually be no problem for them. What I was concerned about in my last post were the individuals who were wishing to create their own work like what I said in my statement under the first quote in this post. Take these people out of the equation, the market can stay virtually unchanged I think, but we would have far less creative pieces than we do now on display. It's not a market loss, it's more of a sentimental one.

As for individuals who never had to purchase the software because of their school, or job...if they're allowed to bring it home then that's all fine, and dandy. If they can't though, it's like I said before, convenience would be extremely hampered when you wanted to create an off-the-record piece of work. 300+ dollars is a pretty hefty price for an average consumer to be rid of that inconvenience.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I heard an ad on the radio talking about reporting software piracy in businesses, and how there would be a cash reward to those who do.

That kind of smells of desperation, IMO.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(09-06-2012, 06:35 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: I heard an ad on the radio talking about reporting software piracy in businesses, and how there would be a cash reward to those who do.

That kind of smells of desperation, IMO.
Sounds like one of those "Have you seen me?" cases.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Website Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

I'm 100% against piracy.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Find
Gaviao Offline

Threads: 3

(09-06-2012, 07:33 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: I'm 100% against piracy.
i'm 100% for the piracy D=,i loooove to get everything for free,i don't care who made the games i just wanna play
me too i hate piracy =D

Projects i'm working on
The Dream:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dream
Amnesia:Fear in Hands
http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-fear-in-hands
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-06-2012, 07:43 PM)Gaviao Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 07:33 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: I'm 100% against piracy.
i'm 100% for the piracy D=,i loooove to get everything for free,i don't care who made the games i just wanna play
me too i hate piracy =D
You really just need to stop posting.

Posting Freak
09-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Website Find