Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What is the difference between scripted AI and Non-Scripted AI?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
What is the difference between scripted AI and Non-Scripted AI?

What is the difference between scripted AI and Non-Scripted AI? I need specifics please

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM by darkely.)
09-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: What is the differences between scripted AI and Non-Scripted AI?

A script is generally a text file that gets compiled or parsed at run time, normally into "byte code." A program is already compiled, normally in "machine code." AI designed in scripts (e.g. HPS files) would be considered "scripted AI." AI within a program (e.g. Amnesia.exe) would be considered "non-scripted."

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: What is the differences between scripted AI and Non-Scripted AI?

I'd imagine you're referring to dynamic AI, and non-dynamic AI. Non-dynamic AI refers to AI which only do specific situations based on a specific happening. Usually this means all playthroughs of the game with this sort of AI will be the same, because they're always told to do the same exact thing at the same exact time.

Dynamic AI is a bit like the enemies in Amnesia. The AI will constantly be checking for occurrences in the environment. If they pick up something that fits their programming, they will act on it regardless of when it was happening, meaning that playing with dynamic AI will usually never be the same.

EDIT: @Your Computer: Sounds interesting, never knew that.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

RE: What is the difference between scripted AI and Non-Scripted AI?

Well I've been playing Dead Space and I am not sure what type it is...

Here is what the enemy's do: when walking around doing a mission enemy's when come from a vent (they will pound it out - sometimes you hear them sometimes not) then they will attack you. To my knowledge the enemy's pick random vents (as long as they are within the players range) and go from there. So does that could as dynamic or non-dynamic AI?

Also regarding combat is this considered non-dynamic or dynamic?: the enemy's are basically morphed humans and they have large claws (blade like) that they use to kill you with. They charge at you when they see you (they can also stalk silently) when you shoot them the game advises you to shoot the limbs to slow them down. When I point my rail-gun (that's what its called) at them sometimes the enemy's will run diagonally (from side to side) to avoid being shot. So is this considered dynamic or non-dynamic?

09-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Let's take the "scripted vs non-scripted" thing deeper. For example, in Amnesia the game handles reacting to sound, line-of-sight, following path nodes, environment interactions, automatic (de)activation, etc, for the monster AI. This could be considered "non-scripted." Adding path nodes to the monster, events triggered by collisions, instantly showing player position, etc, can be considered "scripted."

09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

In Penumbra (the second game) when you walk into a small hallway (where you encounter the first monster if that helps you understand the area I mean) a monster comes after you (once it sees you) but if you run out the door (which triggers a load screen) the monster resets back to the end of the hallway.

So isn't the monster just scripted (or whatever you want to say) to walk up and down the hallway in search mode until it sees the player again? or what?

09-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Walking up and down the hallway is scripted AI, but entering or exiting search mode is not.

09-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Going a bit more deeper with the search mode thing...

From my understanding of it the enemy will only go into search mode when you walk into its line of sight. However is the enemy aware of sounds or lights? or are those not part of it?

09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Normally an enemy goes into search mode if it sees you, and you escape its line of sight. It will go to the last position where it saw you, then it goes back to patrol mode (unless it sees you).

^ is taken from Amnesia.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Website Find