Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Skip it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
27.78%
5 27.78%
No
72.22%
13 72.22%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Skip to HL2?
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Skip to HL2?

Go for it. I haven't even bought Half life and am enjoying HL2 just fine. Though the story is somewhat lacking. Something about a rebellion and Gordon Freeman is important? Oh, and zombies, crowbars and shit. Also there's that one chick who's face mesh Stands out in my memory. Not in a sexual way, in an artistic way. Don't look at me like that. O_O

Nevermind the story though, the game is a real blast. More challenging than your standard Modern FPS, too. You'll get your time's worth.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Well, I played the original in 2012 also and I found it incredibly enjoyable.

Posting Freak
09-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-10-2012, 07:28 AM)Robosprog Wrote: So because I (and the vast majority of the internet) believe that Half Life is one of the best games ever, and you disagree it instantly means I'm a fanboy? Please go and read what fanboy means before using the word again. And no, they'e not overrated, you just are most likely from a different generation, though even the later and earlier generations have seemed to realize this.

Also, please go realize what an opinion is.
Anyone who's played a modern FPS then looked back at HL1 could easily see a drastic difference in quality; regardless of how good it was then, such a gap in quality is definitely grounds to claim that people who still think it's the best are fan boys and that it is overrated (not that I agree with that). Nostalgia is a powerful thing and often clouds our judgement (which is why Earthbound is the best RPG trilogy and fuck anyone who says it isn't Big Grin)

I've never played HL1 until recently, and I honestly don't see what the hype is all about. All of the attraction seems to be - dare I say - based on nostalgia (there's that pesky word again.). The controls feel floaty and the graphics are on par with the n64. The voice acting was pretty bad too (especially Gordon's). I can appreciate the fact that the game probably revolutionized First Person Shooters or whatever, but since I never even heard of it until a year or so ago, I don't have that same connection as many of its fans.

tl;dr - There's no way of accurately comparing the quality of games from a previous generation to the ones we have now. Trying to convince someone from a later generation is utterly pointless.

Perhaps I should just try HL2...

I rate it 3 memes.
09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(09-10-2012, 07:28 AM)Robosprog Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 10:57 PM)darkely Wrote: I am not denying the fact that the Half-Life games are good BUT the Half-Life games are some of the most overrated games of all time. I'm not saying I dislike them but I think they get way too much praise and shun other games.
So because I (and the vast majority of the internet) believe that Half Life is one of the best games ever, and you disagree it instantly means I'm a fanboy? Please go and read what fanboy means before using the word again. And no, they'e not overrated, you just are most likely from a different generation, though even the later and earlier generations have seemed to realize this.

Also, please go realize what an opinion is.
Fine maybe fanboy was a bad choice but you are acting very defensive of the game. I have no idea why though. The game (as andy said but in nicer words) is garbage in terms of: physics, graphics, enemy AI (or friendly co-op AI), and of course game play. Unfortunately as you should know by now video games don't age very well at all. People like you instinctive put down other games saying shit like "that game was ok but it wasn't as good as Half-Life".

Also please know that trying to make fun of me and saying that I do not know my own vocabulary is annoying when I do.

How I feel right now...

[Image: m5ddY.jpg]

tl;dr - stop trying to make me look bad & if you don't like my opinion(s) feel free to not click on the link that directs you here.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM by darkely.)
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

@darkley: If you think Robo's post is a bad one the worst thing you can do is to reply with a bad post yourself, which your latest post is on the borderline of being. If you think you're being treated unfairly, calm down, post normally, and anyone reasonable will calm down too...which I trust Robo is perfectly capable of doing.

For some reason, and don't take this the wrong way darkley, but I'm partially suspicious that you're trying to use this thread to spread your thoughts about Half-Life under the guise of asking the question in the OP.

Now about the actual topic at hand, I feel that I have to add something. I don't really agree that no video games can age well. Take Doom 1 for example. No matter how much I tried, I could not get myself to like it. However with games like Half-Life, and Super Mario, the games still feel extremely fun even when playing under out-dated tech. Why? It means that some games if they have a solid enough gameplay, they can age successfully, and stand the test of time.

Now I'm not going to speak out against your dislike of Half-Life in particular, as that discussion can grow to become very complicated very quickly, so I'll just say I respect your decision for now. Please try not to force the discussion, and give me a reason not to.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-10-2012, 08:03 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: (especially Gordon's).
Huh? Gordon is probably the most infamous example of a mute "character". He has no lines.
09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(09-10-2012, 03:38 PM)Bridge Wrote: Huh? Gordon is probably the most infamous example of a mute "character". He has no lines.
[Image: 2300751-bb56d372_Thats_the_joke.jpeg]

But in all honesty, you have to realize that the game was made quite some time ago. Of course it's going to be dated with "bad graphics". Computers back then didn't have the hardware we have today. They couldn't handle games like Skyrim or Bioshock or (insert modern game here). For it's time, it was an amazing leap forward.
The gameplay, I feel, was solid. There were times where you would end up putting yourself into quite the predicament and having to get yourself out of it (3 hp, and have to take down a tank and 2 men with assault rifles. Not easy.)
I wouldn't say I'm fanboy-ing. I'm just trying to express a logical reasoning for all of your arguments of "It's dated". 'Course it is. It's 14 years old.

09-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(09-10-2012, 01:29 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: @darkley: If you think Robo's post is a bad one the worst thing you can do is to reply with a bad post yourself, which your latest post is on the borderline of being. If you think you're being treated unfairly, calm down, post normally, and anyone reasonable will calm down too...which I trust Robo is perfectly capable of doing.

For some reason, and don't take this the wrong way darkley, but I'm partially suspicious that you're trying to use this thread to spread your thoughts about Half-Life under the guise of asking the question in the OP.

Now about the actual topic at hand, I feel that I have to add something. I don't really agree that no video games can age well. Take Doom 1 for example. No matter how much I tried, I could not get myself to like it. However with games like Half-Life, and Super Mario, the games still feel extremely fun even when playing under out-dated tech. Why? It means that some games if they have a solid enough gameplay, they can age successfully, and stand the test of time.

Now I'm not going to speak out against your dislike of Half-Life in particular, as that discussion can grow to become very complicated very quickly, so I'll just say I respect your decision for now. Please try not to force the discussion, and give me a reason not to.
The only reason I brought up my points was because in his first post (in this thread) he started out by being sarcastic and rude. And no this thread is not geared towards putting down the Half-Life games - it just annoys me when people treat the game (and the devs.) like gods...

Anyway back on topic: I will try to finish the first game

09-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

You could always wait until black mesa comes out and then play it.
09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

September 14th. Besides, "Black Mesa" is a remake of Half-Life, and it is awesome! Wait, awesome doesn't describe it.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Website Find