Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Issues Help Several Questions
craven7 Offline

Threads: 8
Several Questions

Hi, I'm currently working on my first CS and I am still having some technical questions.

1) My extra_english.lang isn't working in debug mode. If I launch Amnesia normally it's working (showing item descriptions ,notes etc)

2) How to use the sound object in the level editor? I know how to play sounds by script with PlaySoundAtEntity(), but I can't find out how to use this one. Already tried setting it inactive and activating it when entering a scriptarea but it doesn't work and I can't find any tutorials for this.

3) How big can / should a single map be? Not speaking of the filesize here, but the dimensions / rooms / entities / whatever of one map.

4) Is it possible to transfer rooms / compounds from one map to another?

5) I have a rotating bookshelf which rotates in the wrong direction so it's moving back through the wall instead of moving forward away from the wall. How can I change the direction / angle of movement? I already tried moving and rotating the rotationScriptarea but I can't get the correct result.

6) How many particle systems can be visible at once without causing performance problems (estimated)?

I know it's a bunge of questions but these have been buggering me for a while, so any help would be appreciated Wink .

Thanks.
09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Several Questions

1) Not sure.

2) Sound object? If I interpret it correctly, those types of sounds are used to play ambient sounds - a repeating loop. They should start automatically upon mapload. As for playing a sound once use playsoundatentity & have the entity be a scriptarea.

3) A map should be as big as you want it to be. If speaking technically; building upon a map should be okay as long as it is not lagging while played. Lag is mostly depending upon: spotlights, particle effects and the amount of polygons a map have. Extensive physics reactions might also cause lag.

4) Select a compound --> File --> Export. Then File --> Import to import the compound. It will end up on the same position as it was when exported.

5) Not sure.

6) Different types of particle systems require different amounts of performance. A particle system spawns images, and the more images it spawn the heavier the workload. Rain should be one of the more intense ones for example. Ultimately it depends on the performance of your computer. If your computer is "above average" you might have to adjust for that as well Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

#2 You can place the sounds under "Ambience" in your map. They do make a great ambience.
Also check how FC did it Wink F.x. with the wind sounds around holes in the roof.

#3 Depending on you story, and will, but i suggest not making too big rooms! Unless there is a purpose. Big rooms usually end up with emptyness or people just threw random stuff in there to not make it empty.

#4 How about using -1 instead of 1? Assuming you are using: SetMoveObjectState

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 04:19 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

1) I've had the same issue. I'm not exactly sure how to get around it. I'd focus on working with debugging and scripts, then worry about the .lang last.

5) Open the shelf in ModelEditor and go to Edit > User Defined Variables. Change the OpenAmount to -1, and this will have the shelf rotate in the opposite direction, or in your case, towards the wall. Not sure why you'd prefer that, but that's how it works. Save it as a new entity and place it in your custom story folder.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM by Statyk.)
09-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Find
craven7 Offline

My problem with the rotating shelf is this:

.jpg   2012-09-27_00001.jpg (Size: 305.39 KB / Downloads: 110)

I already tried SetMoveObjectState("secretShelf_playerRoom", -1.0f), it doesn't move at all.

I tried to change OpenAmount to -1 in modeleditor, but same result; doesn't move.
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Well, for one, no matter which way it goes, it's going to collide with the doorway or the table. Which way are you trying to get it to go?
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
craven7 Offline

Opening it in the opposite direction in an angle of 45°. Then it should stop without touching the table.
09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

If it goes through the doorway at OpenAmount: -1, try setting it to 0.5
09-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Find