Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The game time forgot: Thief The Dark Project (and the sequels)
Dr.Rumstain Offline

Threads: 12
The game time forgot: Thief The Dark Project (and the sequels)

I really love this game, and I can't understand why people do not talk about it today. It was the father of the FPS stealth games and it is my personal favorite game ever and yet NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT IT! It was also very scary, even scarier then Amnesia and Penumbra combined..........fucking UN-dead Hammers......UGH! Also the sequels are even less talked about then the original. Its strange that System Shock 2 is more talked about the Thief......I actually wasn't a big fan of that game.......and I hated Bioshock. But hey, at least the Thief games are on Steam. Just recommending it to ya' guys, its a great game series.

Here lies a man who did no good,
and if he lived,
he never would.
When he is gone or how he fairs,
nobody knows and nobody cares.
10-02-2012, 03:52 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: The game time forgot: Thief The Dark Project (and the sequels)

I haven't played it yet.

Maybe when I get into some money.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I've heard a lot about Thief, and I might try it some other time.
(10-02-2012, 03:52 AM)Dr.Rumstain Wrote: and I hated Bioshock.
I'll respect your opinion on this one, but you have a lot to explain for mister!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-02-2012, 07:43 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: I've heard a lot about Thief, and I might try it some other time.
^^^
Pretty much this; I've heard that only 1 level out of the entire series is "scary" though (I think it's called the Cradle or something like that). I'm really not sure if it could even come close to the level of atmosphere in Penumbra/Amnesia, and to be honest, I'd rather not play through the entire series for just 1 level (I don't even know which game it's in ._.)

I rate it 3 memes.
10-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-02-2012, 08:17 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 07:43 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: I've heard a lot about Thief, and I might try it some other time.
^^^
Pretty much this; I've heard that only 1 level out of the entire series is "scary" though (I think it's called the Cradle or something like that). I'm really not sure if it could even come close to the level of atmosphere in Penumbra/Amnesia, and to be honest, I'd rather not play through the entire series for just 1 level (I don't even know which game it's in ._.)
I saw a short video of the first part of the cradle map. It definitely matches the atmosphere, IMO.

I want this game now.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Thief is the most known about stealth game in the industry, maybe you haven't spoken to a lot of older gamers? nowadays everyone thinks "splinter cell" is the ultimate stealth game. Not saying it's bad, but it's not on the same level as thief.

Also, the cathedral and the cradle = scary as fuck.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
10-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

I've played a little bit of it but [like most games] the graphics aged badly. I am not the type to love only the graphics but when a game looks like Doom (the first) it really makes me turn away some what.

10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Heart  RE: The game time forgot: Thief The Dark Project (and the sequels)

(10-02-2012, 03:52 AM)Dr.Rumstain Wrote: and I hated Bioshock.
I'll respect your opinion on this one, but you have a lot to explain for mister!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJUJXOxztE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAbSQW14Vo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbSI3QhH1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Gxz8Tn3yM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8k3_OEsJzQ

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Website Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Thief 1 - The Dark Project: To be honest, the game mechanics are laid out in this one. It's more confusing than it is playable. It is way too easy to get lost. I've spent easily an hour on the second level itself just wandering around, being lost. I couldn't get into it. Made it to the third level and just quit due to being lost. Movement is also kind of clunky and awkward. Not a bad game, mind you, just rather tough to get into.

Thief 2 : This is where it gets good. I love this one. It improves everything that the first one had troubles with. Map layout, AI, combat, stealth. Just an all-in-all improvement, in my books. If you plan on getting into the Thief series, I recommend this one. It's my favorite, by far.

Thief 3: I have a mixed opinion on this one. On one hand, it's very well done. There's a graphics improvement as well as improved AI. Stealth options are increased drastically and the missions are rather unique. The infamous Cradle level also exists here. You don't really expect a horror based level in a stealth game, but I feel that they made it quite well. However, I encountered quite a few bugs that could have used ironing out, particularly one where the game crashed while I was saving, and had to restart the whole game due to my save file becoming corrupted. A bit of a pain.

All in all, the Thief games have a pretty solid storyline that's more of a "Pleasant addition" to the stealth gameplay. Good games, and I enjoy them completely.

10-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Find
Dr.Rumstain Offline

Threads: 12

(10-02-2012, 07:08 AM)Robosprog Wrote: Um. Do you actually go on the internet? Everybody worships it.
Yes, I do sometimes. At the time Thief came out, it was talked about a lot (even praised) and it was TTLG's best selling game (about half a million copies were sold), but it is now in the shadow of MGS and Splinter Cell. I should have put "barely anyone talks about it today" because there are a handful that do.

Here lies a man who did no good,
and if he lived,
he never would.
When he is gone or how he fairs,
nobody knows and nobody cares.
10-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Find