Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to create a scary atmosphere
Melvin Offline

Threads: 38
RE: How to create a scary atmosphere

Thanks guys, you are giving me awesome tips! I'm sure the rest of this forum will appreciate the tips too! Big Grin

[Image: 25F7U37.png]
10-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

The FG wiki should contain some great tips too.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Website Find
Melvin Offline

Thanks, I'll check it out.

[Image: 25F7U37.png]
10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Website Find
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37

Do not forget to mix scary maps with a little bit more "safe" maps. Make the player feel rewarded for completing scary parts. It will also make the dark and tense maps feel even more unwelcoming.

Make the player feel like "I have to suffer through this to complete the puzzle", and not just "I don't know why I'm here". Giving places (and sometimes scares) a good reason will highly increase the level of which the player will feel like they're actually inside the game.

Dark convex corners, or other types of places where the player doesn't know anything until they crossed the line. Make the player think "I need to check every corner, so I don't get caught by surprise". Another trick for putting the player in the characters shoes.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
10-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Find