Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Who would even play this game ??
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Who would even play this game ??

(10-15-2012, 06:49 AM)kadal65 Wrote: ok,so hear this i'm a 12 year old kid who finish Amnesia the dark decent and i only die two times in Amnesia, killed by the water monster and the second is killed by the grunt because i didn't hear it spawn,every Youtuber i watch on Youtube usualy get scared sh!tles when they see any enemy,but me i didn't get scared,when i see a monster in Amnesia or being chase by one.I usualy get scared a litlle when a enemy is right behind me or i just walk directly to a enemy,but jumpscares that scared me every time

Good job! Big Grin Here, have a cookie. :3

In all seriousness though, I am appalled when I hear of little kids plowing through hours upon hours of 17+ rated horror movies/games, with gore, death, torture, you name it. Call me old-fashioned, but that just can't be healthy.

^(;,;)^
10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-15-2012, 07:43 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 06:49 AM)kadal65 Wrote: ok,so hear this i'm a 12 year old kid who finish Amnesia the dark decent and i only die two times in Amnesia, killed by the water monster and the second is killed by the grunt because i didn't hear it spawn,every Youtuber i watch on Youtube usualy get scared sh!tles when they see any enemy,but me i didn't get scared,when i see a monster in Amnesia or being chase by one.I usualy get scared a litlle when a enemy is right behind me or i just walk directly to a enemy,but jumpscares that scared me every time

Good job! Big Grin Here, have a cookie. :3

In all seriousness though, I am appalled when I hear of little kids plowing through hours upon hours of 17+ rated horror movies/games, with gore, death, torture, you name it. Call me old-fashioned, but that just can't be healthy.
Oh boy. Not sure if you saw it but this thread deals with that exact same issue. Me and another user had a long and messy debate about the issue (I was against the notion that it's unhealthy). If you want to read an interesting argument it's not bad (at least everybody was civil for the most part).
10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Quote:cute and funny.
I stopped reading from there. Don't get me wrong, but I knew that things were going wrong from there.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Website Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-15-2012, 06:51 AM)failedALIAS Wrote:
That's because your mind isn't developed enough to understand true fear.
Wow. What an ignorant thing to say

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

i was playing games like Blood II at 12, and i've turned out perfectly ok (FWIBBLE!). so dont worry about it, 12 year olds can cope with quite a lot. hey, at least hes playing a Decent videogame and not the usual racist us army propoganda that most 12 year olds play these days, so he shows taste! even if he did play it completely wrong. how many times do i have to say this to people. always read the (digital) manual before playing, so you know how to play the game properly.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM by the dark side.)
10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(10-15-2012, 08:03 PM)Bridge Wrote: Oh boy. Not sure if you saw it but this thread deals with that exact same issue. Me and another user had a long and messy debate about the issue (I was against the notion that it's unhealthy). If you want to read an interesting argument it's not bad (at least everybody was civil for the most part).
Yeah, I read that. ^^

To be more specific on my opinion, one of the reasons I think that overindulgence in horror can be unhealthy for you is because adrenaline, like any drug, can make you addicted. That, combined the tendency of younger people to be more reckless and less conscious of their well-being is what makes me reluctant to recommend horror to kids.

Of course, this is all very individual, and if I had a kid and they were attracted to horror, I would look at their approach to it before anything else. But as a base principle it works.

Horror addiction is more of a symptom than an illness anyway, as most questionable behaviors are.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Nemet: I disagree with the screen size thing. If Amnesia were ported to a PSP (lol not likely sadly). The screen and sound can easily immerse a player.

10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Quote:i was playing games like Blood II at 12, and i've turned out perfectly ok (FWIBBLE!). so dont worry about it, 12 year olds can cope with quite a lot. hey, at least hes playing a Decent videogame and not the usual racist us army propoganda that most 12 year olds play these days, so he shows taste! even if he did play it completely wrong. how many times do i have to say this to people. always read the (digital) manual before playing, so you know how to play the game properly.
I don't doubt kids' abilities to cope with horror themes. Humans are able to cope with a lot in general.

I do doubt that the motives behind them playing a (good) horror game are always as noble as you say.

I want to rephrase what I said in an above post because I think I can make my point even more clear: the fact that horror is more stimulating than other genres makes it a more likely target for problematic kids seeking escape from social/psychological problems (as an example), as well as more addictive. This is why, when I hear about kids who play horror all the time, I can't help but wonder just how much benefit they are gaining from it, and how much of it is "good taste". ^^

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
10-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

you are right, i probably have mis-interpreted, sorry.

now you explain it. yes, kids playing horror does look a little sinister.
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

You'd have to be a psychopath to not be freaked out of your mind by the time you visit the torture chambers in Transept.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Find