Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

XCOM Series
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10
XCOM Series

This thread is about all of the XCOM games released so far.

XCOM games (other than interceptor and enforcer) are tactical sci-fi turn based strategy games where you fight off an alien invasion by controlling an secret defense and research organization called XCOM. The games are well known for their painstaking difficulty, being immensely deep and they even end up being fairly creepy at times.

A remake of XCOM: UFO Defence was released in US today and will be released in europe in 12th October.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM by Arvuti.)
10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: XCOM Series

Huh. That looks pretty cool. I've never gone much into depth on XCOM, though I've heard of it. I'll keep an eye on it.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Wasn't there some FPS coming as well?

10-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

The FPS has been cancelled due to 2k's marketing realising the game was pretty much, to use 2k's own words, "virtually unmarketable" after a reaction at E3-2012 that could be best described as "ranging from total apathy to extreme hostility", it was too much of a "copy and paste modern shooter" to appeal to the older gamers who remember XCOM originally, and it wouldnt appeal to younger gamers because it was "too unrealistic" and "not enough like Call of Duty" or "not enough like Battlefield 3", and those were Genuine opinions taken from younger gamers at E3, the older gamers were even ruder, calling the game, and these are genuine, "an insult to the XCOM name", "a dumbed down generic console shooter for 12 year old kids" and one commentator asked even said he felt "2k marin should be Fired for daring to make this kind of cloned console game s**t under the XCOM title" (and no, that last one wasn't me, even if it sounds like it!)

due to the game being unmarketable due to suffering nothing but apathy or hatred from the 2 main gaming markets, it was cancelled as an FPS, it is now being remade as a XBLA/Steam/PSN budget title, with third person perspective and Turn Based Squad Orienated gameplay as that would appeal more to the market that would buy an XCOM game, wich is older gamers who remember the originals, and some younger gamers interested in a budget game that offers something different to the usual "copy and paste from popular game in the genre" experience, giving 2k a marketable product.

story is on Kotaku and videogamer.com
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM by the dark side.)
10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Find