Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Theory] Drastic dark areas?
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
[Theory] Drastic dark areas?

It would be fun to make a custom story where the darkness is alive and malevolent. Out of the corner of your eye, you see a shadow in the corner that is abnormally dark for the lighting in the room. And as you watch, it becomes darker and darker, and begins to grow out from the corner. Soon it is pitch black, and coming toward you. You try to run, but when you get to the stairs that lead to the first floor, the bottom of the staircase is enveloped in the same impenetrable darkness. And it comes toward you.

Is it possible at all with the HPL2 engine to achieve some sort of effect like this? I'm imagining it two ways: first are Lights that cast shadows instead of brighten an area. Second are invisible objects that cast shadows, but the shadows wouldn't nearly be dark enough.

This is just a random theory I'm throwing out there for any super advanced programmers out there who might have any ideas.

10-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: [Theory] Drastic dark areas?

Black fog could be used, and I remain to see an insanity shadow in the amnesia's folder. Or, particle systems could be used (with scripts).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I guess it's possible. Fading lights with timer, darker and darker.
It's a nice idea! Just like "The shadow." "It's a living nightmare, breaking down reality."

If you have no boxlight, but only place pointlights and lamps then you can create some wicked very bright / VS / pitch black areas... It would say, play with it!

FadeLightTo(string& asLightName, float afR, float afG, float afB, float afA, float afRadius, float afTime);

Trying is the first step to success.
10-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118

Unfortunately, with SpotLights and PointLights, if it's turned all the way to dark they are just invisible. They will not create shadows in a lit room. But, if used very very carefully with no BoxLight, I could make drastic shadows wherever there are gaps in the lights.

Like, I imagine in a room filled with lamps and pointlights to illuminate the bright spots, and the rest is filled in with an ambient BoxLight... If the BoxLight slowly fades then the bright spots will stay the same, but the dark spots will become darker.

FogAreas would be ideal to use, perhaps, if only they could more or be turned on/off. Alas, though, they are static.

10-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Find
Posting Freak

Yea fog-areas are like shadows and follows you!

10-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

There was a insanity shadow in the amnesia folder. It scared the s**t out of me because the shape was human. You could set it active and then the darkness would progress. That way, you could see a human shadow surrounded by darkness. That's very creepy.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Find
Posting Freak

Invisible body?

10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Find
Dutton Offline

Threads: 3

Isn't the Insanity_shadow01.(tga)

A BillBoard then?

[Image: 15isy6C]
10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

I've done something like this for the Sanity Game. In the last area of the map, if you were to stand still in the graveyard, you can literally see the "darkness" closing in. I achieve this by adjusting the global fog properties every second.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012, 10:13 AM by Your Computer.)
10-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-09-2012, 09:31 AM)Dutton Wrote: Isn't the Insanity_shadow01.(tga)

A BillBoard then?
Yes, it's that one. I think. A billboards is made of materials, though.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Find