Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottle of water (or any other liquid)
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Bottle of water (or any other liquid)

Is there anyway to have the player hold a bottle of water (or something with liquid) that they can use to drink (for health)?

I would want the bottle/whatever container with liquid to be able to be visible on screen, have the liquid/container react to light, and have the liquid move when the player moves. Is it possible to do? if so how?

Here is a video that shows what I would like it to look like (imagine it in Amnesia though :p)...

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/YODuyF0nTzg[/video]

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012, 10:34 PM by darkely.)
10-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Bottle of water (or any other liquid)

You'll probably have to edit the lantern model located in "redist\models\hand_objects", but that would destroy your lantern.
I'm not sure if you can create additional hand_objects, as there is a pickaxe folder located in there.
Even if it would be possible somehow, it's way too complicated to implement for just a little extra effect.

You might just change the laudanum image to a water bottle, but that would require you to do a full conversion.

[Image: 18694.png]
10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Ongka: just out of curiosity (like in the video) when I held the jar up
towards the light and the liquid reacted (the look of it) how much work
do you think it took the makers to put that little thing in?

Also if you did not guess by now my player was a sniper [class] and when he holds his rifle. You can see on the end he looks in (idk the name of it now - I think its called a scope?) reflects the world - though it lags somewhat to update itself.

10-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3

It wouldn't be too complicated, but some things aren't possible in hpl2 without changing the whole game code. Also, water which reacts to physics would be new in hpl2. Cause the water in the game is represented by a flat texture. The physics of a liquid itself would be way too much work to implement in hpl2 and would probably cause lags.

There are some ways to work around the fact that you can't hold the glass jar in your hand like the lantern, but they'd look bad and cause more bugs than useful gameplay.

[Image: 18694.png]
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

It shouldn't be necessary to be water, it could be a texture with animations that moved. But, I think that's just very complicated.
It's a good suggestion, though.

Off-topic: Do you seriously use that sniper? Because that video is yours, right? I prefer another one (which name I don't know because my TF2 is in spanish)

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(10-18-2012, 01:35 PM)The chaser Wrote: It shouldn't be necessary to be water, it could be a texture with animations that moved. But, I think that's just very complicated.
It's a good suggestion, though.

Off-topic: Do you seriously use that sniper? Because that video is yours, right? I prefer another one (which name I don't know because my TF2 is in spanish)
It should be very complicated. It's like adding a whole new lantern with physics and more animations...

Off-topic: It's actually a good sniper! When you scope long enough it deals serious damage

Trying is the first step to success.
10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Off-topic: I'm more of headshots and the sniper that seems a dragunov is good for me. You know, with that one that you can scope with criticals without stopping pointing for half-second, I made 5 headshots in ten seconds with it. A scout, a heavy, a medic, and 2 pyros.

On-Topic:
Amnesia doesn't really have a lot of options with water, so I think you can forget this idea by the moment (maybe HPL3 has this).
It's a good idea, though. You would have to animate (that's the first "fuck!") but you could still have a specular map for it.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Find