Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spoiler Story Discussion
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Story Discussion

Warning: There will be lots of SPOILERS in this thread. If you not completed Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you may not want to continue on.

Okay. To start off, we all know that the story of Amnesia is very deep and immersive. However, there are some things that I don't understand, and some theories I have about them. For instance: where exactly is Castle Brennenburg? We know that it's in Prussia, and it may be in certain areas, but if this castle really existed, then where would it be exactly? How does Alexander control the Gatherers, and how do they stay alive with the horrible injuries they have sustained? What world does Alexander come from and why did he leave it? These are just some of the many questions I have.

Let's have a discussion. And please, stay on topic.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
10-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Story Discussion

It says somewhere on the wiki (I think) that Brennenburg is located in northeastern Polish woods. This information may have been derived from the "Remember" stories.

We can only assume that Alexander's control over the gatherers is of supernatural origin. It is true that some of the gatherers were once human (e.g. Wilhelm), and a note in the Archives does state that they have been known in rumours since the thirty years war of the 17th century. Deserters were apparently "transformed" into the gatherers. However, that does not mean all gatherers are human, as there may be some original gatherer (perchance a creation of Alexander) that isn't.

"How do they stay alive with the horrible injuries they have sustained?" This shouldn't really be a question. Considering how magic exists in the game there can be an infinite number of possibilities. I'd personally go with Vitae feeding.

Alexander's world is never once explained in-game or in "Remember" so everything is all up to speculation. "Through the Portal" custom story does provide a pretty satisfying answer. In that mod, the world of Alexander is extremely barren; Kaernks originate from there, and there is a large tower where much technological research is conducted. The inhabitants of this Realm are able to perceive the Shadow and Kaernks and can control Orbs very effectively. They use it to travel to other worlds.

"Abduction" also takes you into Alexander's world, but all you get to see is his castle. In that custom story, it is explained that Gatherers are the baron's servants who have been operated on using alchemy procedures that allows them to be immortality.

Personally, I've always found Daniel's psychology to be the most interesting part of Amnesia's story rather than speculative stuff. Most of the worst atrocities in history are committed by people who are "simply following orders."

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2012, 04:21 AM by Froge.)
10-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(10-26-2012, 04:21 AM)Chronofox Wrote: It says somewhere on the wiki (I think) that Brennenburg is located in northeastern Polish woods. This information may have been derived from the "Remember" stories.

We can only assume that Alexander's control over the gatherers is of supernatural origin. It is true that some of the gatherers were once human (e.g. Wilhelm), and a note in the Archives does state that they have been known in rumours since the thirty years war of the 17th century. Deserters were apparently "transformed" into the gatherers. However, that does not mean all gatherers are human, as there may be some original gatherer (perchance a creation of Alexander) that isn't.

"How do they stay alive with the horrible injuries they have sustained?" This shouldn't really be a question. Considering how magic exists in the game there can be an infinite number of possibilities. I'd personally go with Vitae feeding.

Alexander's world is never once explained in-game or in "Remember" so everything is all up to speculation. "Through the Portal" custom story does provide a pretty satisfying answer. In that mod, the world of Alexander is extremely barren; Kaernks originate from there, and there is a large tower where much technological research is conducted. The inhabitants of this Realm are able to perceive the Shadow and Kaernks and can control Orbs very effectively. They use it to travel to other worlds.

"Abduction" also takes you into Alexander's world, but all you get to see is his castle. In that custom story, it is explained that Gatherers are the baron's servants who have been operated on using alchemy procedures that allows them to be immortality.

Personally, I've always found Daniel's psychology to be the most interesting part of Amnesia's story rather than speculative stuff. Most of the worst atrocities in history are committed by people who are "simply following orders."
You have a point about the Gatherer origins; it is mentioned in various notes written by Wilhelm himself that he served in the military, and Gatherer notes suggest that they are from military deserters. If Wilhelm deserted the military to serve Alexander this may support that theory, but this is probably not the case.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
10-26-2012, 04:31 AM
Find
Thinker Offline

Threads: 4

Why Alexander left?
It does mention in some notes about finding Tampter (I think that's what it's called) that Weyer has to go into Alexander's world for him. This lead me to believe that Alexander has been banished, or something, and that he's trying to harness the orbs power to return.

Not sure though.

We need to go deeper.
10-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Quote:For instance: where exactly is Castle Brennenburg?
[Image: tumblr_m50gbdRnCP1rtqfv6o1_400.jpg]
Quote:How does Alexander control the Gatherers,
[Image: 1251remote_control.jpg]
Quote: and how do they stay alive with the horrible injuries they have sustained?
[Image: hmd_meth_bag.jpg]
Quote:What world does Alexander come from
[Image: Mars.jpg]
Quote:why did he leave it?
'cuz furries.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

Threads: 8

Wait a second!How does Alexander control the Gatherers?
I thought they were chasing Daniel because of the "orb thing
"!

[Image: 2H1Mc.jpg]
10-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(10-26-2012, 04:04 PM)belikov Wrote: Wait a second!How does Alexander control the Gatherers?
"!

10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-26-2012, 04:04 PM)belikov Wrote: Wait a second!How does Alexander control the Gatherers?
"!

There's an telepathic link between him and them. Daniel accidentally picks up on it, and Alexander uses that to communicate with him.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(10-26-2012, 04:27 PM)Aldighieri Wrote:
"!

There's an telepathic link between him and them. Daniel accidentally picks up on it, and Alexander uses that to communicate with him.

10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Not enough control, Corinthian.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Website Find