Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

New computer
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
New computer

Hello people.

I don't know if any of you have discovered the game "Planetside 2" but it's really cool.
It's a first person shooter game.
Enormous map.
Huge amount of players.
3 races.
and vehicles.

Oh yea, and massive lag for me...

So I though, now is the time to get a new computer.

My laptop is 3 years old. It has 4 GB RAM and 2.2 Ghz..
I'm don't really know anything about processers and such, but it isn't that good anymore.
If i install the newest Windows Update pack to it, then it won't accept my mouse anymore.
It just denies the drivers and denies that it is plugged it... (I tried different mouses)
So i can't update my windows anymore..

So now is the time to get a new computer i guess...

I found this: http://www.sharkgaming.dk/value-madness.html
Looks good to me, and a very good price.

Yes, the site is danish, but you should be able to read the stuff inside it.
Do you think it's good enough?

Sometimes in Planetside 2 i have a framerate drop to 0.5 FPS... or at least very very low. Cannot control.
I usually play games like L4D2 and, yea amnesia (Mostly with settings on low or medium).
But yea, PS2 is a heavy game...

So what do you think of what i found? Should i buy it?

Trying is the first step to success.
11-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: New computer

It looks decent but you can do far better in terms of GPU. It will probably run most games well enough (certainly PS2) but I don't think it will last that long. The memory is sufficient and the processor is great, although you may want to get a better PSU. 500W for a gaming computer is pushing it (especially if you want to dual GPU later on), although it will probably be sufficient. It's a good computer as far as I can tell, and the price is insane. For that price, I'd buy a PC half as good.
11-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Find
Posting Freak

You mean the price is insanely good? or bad?

I'm sorry to make you write a bit more, but could you explain to me what GPU, PSU and 500W is?
Smile
The most i know of computers is CPU and RAM.

And thank you for answering. Kind of you Smile

11-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(11-22-2012, 09:57 PM)beecake Wrote: You mean the price is insanely good? or bad?

I'm sorry to make you write a bit more, but could you explain to me what GPU, PSU and 500W is?
Smile
The most i know of computers is CPU and RAM.

And thank you for answering. Kind of you Smile
I'm saying it's an excellent price (low). And sure no problem. The GPU (graphical processing unit) is the piece of equipment that draws graphics on your computer screen. Anything you see when playing a game is controlled by the GPU. PSU stands for power supply unit and is the box-shaped thing in the back of your computer. It's responsible for supplying power to all of the equipment that needs it within the computer. 500W stands for 500 watts which is a measurement of energy, in this case meaning that the power supply can only supply 500 watts at a time. The newest games put an unspeakable amount of stress on your hardware, especially your graphics card, which is why it is important to have both good cooling and a good power supply. If you are playing an especially demanding game it is not unreasonable for the power usage to exceed 500 watts, especially if you are using two graphics cards (which some people do). Whatever you do, never cheap out on a power supply. If it overloads it is capable of irreparably damaging pretty much all of your system's components. 500 is the minimum for a modern gaming computer, 750 is OK (what I have), 850 is more than enough and 1000 and above is for overclockers and rich people.
11-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Find
Posting Freak

So the GPU is good. But the PSU should be higher Smile I understand. I'll see what i can find! Thank you! You've a great help!

Though i'm not a tough gamer... What games are we talking about that could need more than 500 watt? I mean you say that this computer can certainly run PS2, but that's the heaviest game i've ever tried to run... What could be heavier that hundreds of players and a huge map?

11-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(11-22-2012, 10:59 PM)beecake Wrote: So the GPU is good. But the PSU should be higher Smile I understand. I'll see what i can find! Thank you! You've a great help!

Though i'm not a tough gamer... What games are we talking about that could need more than 500 watt? I mean you say that this computer can certainly run PS2, but that's the heaviest game i've ever tried to run... What could be heavier that hundreds of players and a huge map?
Actually I'm sorry I confused it with another game. I just looked at the requirements and your PC can easily run it (your new PC that is). And there is no such thing as a game that requires a specific set of watts, it depends entirely on your gear. But it's good to always be prepared, because if something crazy happens in the game having more power to distribute is not going to hurt you at all. Having no spare power on the other hand is dangerous. I recommend just getting a 750W, it's going to cost you like 500-1000 DKK (everything is expensive over here in Iceland so I have no real frame of reference - judging by the deal you are getting on the computer I expect it will be 500 DKK or less). You won't regret it, and you will never have to worry about power again, unless you go into 3D graphics or hardcore image manipulation. But if you are hurting for cash you will probably get by on a 500W.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM by Bridge.)
11-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Thank you Smile

For what i could find in there, i'll have to deal with 500W since it has a graphic card around 3.6 Ghz.
And it's still a good price.

You've been helpful! Thanks!

11-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

It depends on your preferences. If you simply want to click-buy something and get the package delivered to your home, already built, this is what you should go for. If you're aiming for something cheap - but want the maximum performance for your money I have a suggestion.

Graphic cards:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

CPUs:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Looking at those lists:
---------- CPU ----------
(Your Order) AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core 4,013 $97.99
VS
(Potential upgrade) AMD FX-6300 Six-Core 7,145 $139.99

Your order has a performance value of 4,013 at a price of 97.99. Performance per 100$ dollar ~ 4,0953.

Potential upgrade has a performance value of 7,145 at a price of 139.99. Performance per 100$ dollar ~ 5,1039.

Theoretically - Buying the upgrade would mean you get 25% more CPU power for your each dollar you put into your computer.

Practically - Compared to your order the potential upgrade is 78% more powerful for a 43% increase in price. Pay 42 dollars more -> Get a CPU which has 78% more power.

--------- GPU --------------
(Your Order) GeForce GTX 560 3,043 $154.99
VS
(Potential upgrade) GeForce GTX 480 4,205 $199.99

Your order has a performance value of 3,043 at a price of 154.99. Performance per 100$ ~ 1,9633.
The potential upgrade has a performance value of 4,205 at 199.99. Performance per 100$ ~ 2,1026.

Theoretically - Buying the upgrade means you get a 7,1% more GPU power for each dollar you spend on your computer.

Practically a ~ 38% more powerful graphics card for 45$ more.

In the end you would get a computer which is more powerful and more cost-effective! The increased cost would approximately be 476 DK. You would however have to build the computer yourself. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with - perhaps you think it's worth buying something which isn't optimal (get your money's worth) in exchange for the simplicity of having someone else build your computer.

Hopefully this information will be helpful when you make a decision. Cheers! :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Good post by Acies, also if you think building a computer is way above your head or you feel insecure about it, I recommend just trying it out. It's much easier than you'd think, especially if you have the motherboard manual. It will take about 30-60 minutes of careful inspection, reading the manual and trial and error (hopefully no errors - the stakes are high) and after that you will practically become an expert on building computers, because it's really simple once you figure it out.

If you absolutely are not willing to do that, you can still take Acies' advice - just go to a computer store and ask for all of the individual parts you selected, and then ask if they can put it together. Over here, they will actually create a custom deal for you if you buy a "new computer", which includes free installment. Should be similar over in Denmark.

EDIT: But be careful to "ground" yourself before you touch anything inside your computer, which means releasing any build up of static energy within your body. If it discharges while you are working on your computer you can fuck up your hardware. Just touch something that conducts electricity well; something made of metal being an ideal choice.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 03:59 PM by Bridge.)
11-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(11-22-2012, 10:15 PM)Bridge Wrote: Whatever you do, never cheap out on a power supply. If it overloads it is capable of irreparably damaging pretty much all of your system's components. 500 is the minimum for a modern gaming computer, 750 is OK (what I have), 850 is more than enough and 1000 and above is for overclockers and rich people.

Newer motherboards should have some kind of protection against an undesirable increase in voltages. Nevertheless, even overclockers would know buying a 1000w power supply is going overboard. You have to remember, whatever the system isn't using gets converted into heat. The power supply can easily overheat if you've bought a 1000w power supply and your system only needs 450w.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Website Find