Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Alarming report: Black hawk mines says “online gaming worsen”
harrygrant Offline

Threads: 1
Lightbulb  Alarming report: Black hawk mines says “online gaming worsen”

“We take
responsibility in our action; things like this can be avoided if all gamers
know their limit and how to make our hobby much fun and enjoyable”

From the words itself, addiction, imagine how
bad can possibly be? Like many other
addiction like alcoholic addiction and drug addiction, gaming addiction is as
serious. Many have lost their jobs,
their spouses and even their lives for playing online games. They are literally living in the virtual
world.

In late July, a 21-year-old online-gaming
addict was found dead in his home in Inchon, South Korea. He’d played intensely
since graduating from high school, rarely sleeping or leaving his room,
according to family members. In 2005 a
28-year-old man collapsed and died from organ failure after playing for 50
hours straight. He had apparently just lost his job because of his
online-gaming habit. Both incidents
prime suspect is online gaming.

A gaming shutdown law is now being implemented
in Korea where it aims to demolish the addiction

The country thought of another strategy to
abolish the online game addiction or at least lessen it. “Cooling Off” system is introduced; this is
to regulate the students of the amount of time they spend in playing online
games within the 24 hours. Soon the
video games addicts in South Korea will have limited hours to play online games.

Cooling off will work like this, their games
i\will be switch off after two hours, where they will be given ten minutes
to rest, and then they can only log
again in once for a maximum two hours in the following 24 hours.

The newest strategy of Korea is this new law
where allow parents to communicate with online game providers and set time
limits for their children's online gaming.
This comes as South Korea struggles to deal with rampant Internet
addiction among young people in South Korea.
And only shows how serious this online games addiction truly is. Online game addiction is not a laughing
matter; it is as deadly as alcohol and drug addiction.
12-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Alarming report: Black hawk mines says “online gaming worsen”

Not sure the purpose of this thread, but my input is this:

Why should a few people's irresponsible, and perhaps insane actions be grounds for restricting those who know their limits? I'm tired of countries making up rules for those who do not commit stupid deeds, yet still face consequences as though they did commit them. This rule will be inevitably futile as people will find ways to bypass this "time restraint". It's absurd and premature. If people want to do stupid things, let them do so and learn their lesson. It's OBVIOUSLY a problem to play a game for 50 hours straight. But those who are willing to force themselves to do this should only face the consequences themselves.

I believe in New York, they passed a law where restaurants are limited to how much soda and carbonated beverages they can provide to customers. Why should I be forced to limit myself when fatass in the other booth can't control himself? Why should I pay the price for his behavior?

It's self explanatory.
12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

So after two hours of play, there's a ten minute *COMMERCIAL BREAK*, as inforced by law. Well, at least you're not living in North Korea, so no matter how bad it gets, you're still the lucky ones.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

12-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-11-2012, 10:24 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: So after two hours of play, there's a ten minute *COMMERCIAL BREAK*, as inforced by law. Well, at least you're not living in North Korea, so no matter how bad it gets, you're still the lucky ones.
It starts out with little stuff like this.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. This isn't little; it's like limiting alcoholics to 4 drinks a day. Cutting down on somebody's consumption of an addictive substance (in this case online games which certainly are psychologically addicting - to some people anyway) is dangerous. Personally, I don't think this is a smart move for a country with one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Making video game addicts practically stop playing is going to cause them to have serious withdrawal that will probably manifest itself in extreme depression and, ultimately, maybe suicide.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM by Bridge.)
12-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(12-11-2012, 10:52 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 10:24 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: So after two hours of play, there's a ten minute *COMMERCIAL BREAK*, as inforced by law. Well, at least you're not living in North Korea, so no matter how bad it gets, you're still the lucky ones.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. This isn't little; it's like limiting alcoholics to 4 drinks a day. Cutting down on somebody's consumption of an addictive substance (in this case online games which certainly are psychologically addicting - to some people anyway) is dangerous. Personally, I don't think this is a smart move for a country with one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Making video game addicts practically stop playing is going to cause them to have serious withdrawal that will probably manifest itself in extreme depression and, ultimately, maybe suicide.
If games were designed with this feature in mind, it would be pretty okay to take ten minute breaks, but Korea is known for its Starcraft tournaments, and a single match can go on for quite a while. If people are so stupid that they will die because they were too distracted to eat or go to the bathroom, then why not provide homes for stupid people? Also, what constitutes a "game"? What if some guy dies from YouTube? Will the internet have commercial breaks as well? I blame women. I bet Korea has feminism now, and that out-of-control women are causing this. In my days you could tell who was a woman and who wasn't. Now it's all so confusing, not just for me, but for the kids as well. The boys are getting even more feminine than the girls, and we have all these mismatched sexualities going around, and ... What were we talking about again?
Oh yes, North Korea. Everything's better than North Korea.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

12-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-11-2012, 11:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 10:52 AM)Bridge Wrote:

If games were designed with this feature in mind, it would be pretty okay to take ten minute breaks, but Korea is known for its Starcraft tournaments, and a single match can go on for quite a while. If people are so stupid that they will die because they were too distracted to eat or go to the bathroom, then why not provide homes for stupid people? Also, what constitutes a "game"? What if some guy dies from YouTube? Will the internet have commercial breaks as well? I blame women. I bet Korea has feminism now, and that out-of-control women are causing this. In my days you could tell who was a woman and who wasn't. Now it's all so confusing, not just for me, but for the kids as well. The boys are getting even more feminine than the girls, and we have all these mismatched sexualities going around, and ... What were we talking about again?
Oh yes, North Korea. Everything's better than North Korea.
This is just an infringement upon basic human rights and is one step removed from fascism IMO. I feel nothing for the people stupid enough to play until they're dead. If you really want to help them, get them help, don't forcibly make them quit.
12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:This is just an infringement upon basic human rights and is one step removed from fascism IMO. I feel nothing for the people stupid enough to play until they're dead. If you really want to help them, get them help, don't forcibly make them quit.
Agreed, rehab would be a more appropriate way to go, that way you help the individual instead of punish every gamer in SK.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Find