Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Breaking doors (glitch) & Monster Assistance
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3
Breaking doors (glitch) & Monster Assistance

Hello fellow Amnesia fans. The other day I was messing around in the Storage level and I believe I've found something. I've tried searching for this apparent glitch and haven't come up with anything relevant. So as far as I know it's something new. Undecided

Or maybe it isn't...? I titled this topic 'Breaking Doors'. Which is what I managed to do... Only once, and I haven't had any luck yet reproducing the 'glitch'.

The 'Door' in storage which can't be opened (on the other side of the corner, just before the caved in area you have to blow up). I used a barrel, swinging it very fast with the mouse. Using this method I've encountered a few possible outcomes. The barrel gets stuck in the door (just like it does in walls), the door gets displaced (and may slowly move back to it's correct position), or the door totally disappears. I've even had plenty of barrels to pass through the door also.

Yet, this one time I must've hit the door just right. I couldn't believe it when it happened. I also destroyed the barrel in the process, causing the game to lag for 5 to 10 seconds.

Is a broken barrel the key to this door?

Next, I did the shovel glitch to get inside this room (along with a barrel or 2). I even moved the drill piece on some boxes to the outside wall (long story there). Long story short - I had the 1st monster that appears to start chest butting(?) the door... But nothing was happening. All I could see from the inside was stuff flying as if he's hitting the door - but it's not breaking down. The thing I was trying to do here was get myself trapped, then have the monster get me out -lol. I happened to have a barrel on the left side (in the other room). I was able to move the barrel infront of the monster -I presume, the monsters strike must've destroyed the barrel and also destroyed the door. Yes. It lagged here too.

Anyway. I wanted to share what I found and I hope it isn't already common knowledge amongst everyone else but me. Blush
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM by Tetrafish.)
12-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Breaking doors (glitch)

I believe what could have happened is that the barrel get stuck inside the door. But not stuck as if it was static... It keeps slamming the door very fast, (Makes the game lag) and inflicting damage on it making it breaking down.

Trying is the first step to success.
12-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(12-08-2012, 09:09 PM)Tetrafish Wrote: Yet, this one time I must've hit the door just right. I couldn't believe it when it happened. I also destroyed the barrel in the process, causing the game to lag for 5 to 10 seconds.

So, what was there across that door? Tongue
12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

(12-08-2012, 11:33 PM)felixmole Wrote:
(12-08-2012, 09:09 PM)Tetrafish Wrote: Yet, this one time I must've hit the door just right. I couldn't believe it when it happened. I also destroyed the barrel in the process, causing the game to lag for 5 to 10 seconds.

So, what was there across that door? Tongue
Mainly the walls are untextured. There's the "33:36" speedrun vid on Youtube at about 7:50. The person playing uses the barrel push (save?) glitch to get inside... You can look that up, or go into the game yourself and get a shovel from downstairs in the room on the left, take that back up and place it in front of the door, then jump on it or walk over it and explore at your own leisure (or peril?). But be careful - it will be difficult to get out (but not impossible).

Veering slightly off-topic... Inspired by Crazyshooting's monster trolling vid where he knocks the drill-part piece around and into the other room - just right by the spot where the monster spawns after picking it up, I made a 'train' of boxes to carefully move the drill piece. I started with 2 of the large square shaped boxes underneath where the drill part is. Then I pushed it onto the top box with another item in the room/on the shelf, then having another box on the floor beside the 2 stacked boxes - I grabbed and rotated the top box slowly to the left. Because if you try to simply carry the box -even crawl with it- the drill piece will eventually fall off. And getting it into that one passageway when it's on the floor should be extremely difficult.

This will be a long process if you try it yourself. But just have a long line of boxes to keep sliding the top box over. Do NOT walk with the box, only grab and then turn w/ the mouse. You will need to go back and move some of the boxes you've already passed over to the front of the line and continue. You'll want to eventually get the top box on the outer side of the wall of the untextured "locked" room (or just get the drill piece over there if you've passed that 'board' on the floor). You can still manipulate things from inside since the walls are untextured (or whatever the technical reason is for that).

Anyone else that wants to try this themselves - I suggest having a few barrels on the outside that you can still reach from inside/through the wall, as well as getting another object through the door (by swinging it around "violently") so you can have something to make noise with to draw the monster to the door.

Back on-topic... One small detail, I did swing the barrel from up left to down right when I destroyed the door. I'll try to keep messing around with it to see if there's some exact way to make it work. Sorry for the long post.

eta: I see this was moved to 'Technical Support'. Well, this wasn't an "issue" as much as it was something I was wanting to share, but if it's better suited here then that's okay. Blush
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM by Tetrafish.)
12-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

I hope double posts aren't frowned upon here. I thought this would warrant an new reply since it was so closely related (I guess).

Regarding the caved in rocks you must explode to get past... Place about 3 barrels right beside them, also place some boxes around the spot you'll be standing to keep enough distance from the monster. You'll be near the corner and the barrel/s will be closer to the stairs. Get the drill-bit piece then lead the monster to the caved in area. Hopefully he will try to swipe at you when at least on of the barrels are between you and him. If he breaks the barrel... Big Grin (try it!)

I've had the monster glitch out (doing a fast run animation) or come after me. Just a heads up.

ETA: This is what you want.

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac310...-06-12.png

Regarding the original post: From what I can tell it seems that doors are more likely to be displaced if you're able to get a barrel stuck between the door and the frame/wall around it. I still haven't blown one up again.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM by Tetrafish.)
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Find
h4xx0r Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Breaking doors (glitch) & Monster Assistance

Hey
I managed a similar glitch a few minutes ago.
I smashed a barrel against that door and the rocks barricade exploded, so I didn't even had to prepare the chemical and get the drill part.
Unfortunately I didn't record it.
12-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Find