Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Steam Rant
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
Sad  Steam Rant

(This thread contains contains anger. Read at your own discretion. It is also off-topic and not related in any way to these forums or Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If this is the wrong place to discuss this, a moderator may delete it at will. There may also be traces of stupidity so, again, read at your own discretion.)

Spoiler below!

Most of us use Steam as a choice game platform. And unless you've been living in a cave for the past year, you'd know about the new "Steam hubs" feature. Here, you find screenshots, discussions, and videos about the game in choice. It seemed like a good idea at first but now it's just degenerated into a horrible mess.

For instance, most discussions are about people moaning about how bad the game is for not exactly meeting their standards. These posts usually consist of things that would be impossible to change and end with "For the love of God, do NOT BUY (creators of the game)'s GAMES EVER AGAIN! DON'T PAY THEM!".

The rest of the stuff is just blatant sex references from self-centered children who think that the world revolves around them. It seems everywhere I go this happens as well. Go to the Battle.net forums for any of their games. You'll find complaints with little suggestions but rather just focusing on the bad parts.

There are other bad things too. For one, the underaged. Many users are not of legal age to use the Steam platform. I will see people with usernames such as "john2004" implying that they were born in the year 2004 and revealing that they are only eight. This means that they are five years too young to be using the Steam gaming service.

Not only that, but the language of some of these users just flat-out disgusts me. Take this "john2004". He is either making sex jokes or asking any female player unfortunate enough to meet him in-game to "blow me plz" either through microphone chat or text-to-text. This is not something you learn at eight years old. How would he know this? Are his parents either unaware of what he views on the Internet, or just too sleazy to care?

Here's a list of things I would do to fix the proposed issues.

1) To prevent Steam hub vandalism: add a team that filters Steam hub content. Have some of the staff of Valve work specifically on filtering vulgar or unrelated content out of the hubs. Since there are so many hubs for games, I propose that they start with removing already existing inappropriate things from popular game hubs (Team Fortress 2, PlanetSide 2, Amnesia) and then focus on removing any other content.

Have a system where you must get moderator confirmation to post a screenshot or video within a hub. If this screenshot or video is off-topic or just flat-out disgusting, the request is denied and you will not see this content appear. If it is approved, then it will be submitted as normal.

2) Prevention of underaged players: there isn't a whole lot we can do about this as underaged people on the Internet will always be there. However, one system may be to provide proof of age. Whether this be an email from a parent, a photo, or anything of that sort, this might help to filter out the people who are not allowed to play on Steam and those that are.

That is all.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM by Zaffre.)
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Steam Rant

its not just steam, it's everywhere.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
12-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I'm agree. I'm sick of those little 7 year old kids with a microphone that think they are cool and good in TF2 just because they think so. +, when a pro kills them a lot of times, they begin to say things, and things... this happened so many times that I just silence them. Easy as that.

What you are proposing is the Moddb system. I think the Moddb system is really cool, there isn't any unrelated content.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM by Juby.)
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

yes let the anger fester your soul!
12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Website Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

I am suprised these call of duty players even know what TF2 is, i mean, its hardly your standard Modern consoley MMS game is it?, i mean, it has MEDPACKS for a start.

these FPS "deffmatch" troll cod kids need to stick to there foul, consoley, MMS rubbish and its equally putrid clones, and stop ruining PROPER games for the people they were created for, Adults and other players who remember and prefer shooters in the vein of Quake III and the original Unreal Tournament.

"go back to the playground junior!"
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM by the dark side.)
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

sorry robosprog, ill go and edit the post, i just got LIVID watching some moron call of duty kid ruining team fortress 2 for the other players with pathetic cod style tactics and his douchey behavior! .i am sorry if i caused you offense.

Actually TF2, despite its cartoony graphics and slapstick humour is kind of for Adults, as its based on a much more old fashioned FPS gameplay model, similar to Quake III: Arena i find, the kind of gameplay that will mostly be remembered by older gamers.

Sure, you had the privalege to grow up with games like Doom and Quake like the rest of us "real gamers", but you came to them as retro classics, were as they were brand new when we came to them, sadly you are in the minority for kids your age, as many came up with the MMS games, many of who think the FPS didnt exist until "modern warfare" and think every FPS should be exaclty like it, a dumb, consoley, "hold your hand", MMS, and think TF2 and games like that suck.

that is why i call cod a kids game, as it is very easy and uses the vaslty inferior "modern" gameplay style and constantly holds your hand, and i call TF2 Adult as it uses the "classic" gameplay style of Quake, and has a pretty feirce challenge level, attributes mostly remembered by older gamers as many of the teenagers out there came up with call of duty rather than quake, you really are a rare minority. wich is a shame. more kids need the opportunity to grow up playing FPS like you have instead of these pathetic MMS games.

Annotation: MMS= Modern Military Shooter
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM by the dark side.)
12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(12-12-2012, 10:18 PM)Robosprog Wrote: I'm 14 and 11 months, Darkside. Does that mean I shouldn't play TF2? That's some shitty logic right there. Anyone should play any game, TF2 is not an adult game, far from it.
No offense dude. I am sure You are mature for your age.... But thats pretty much it. Kids are kids and usually that means they are brats. Hell. Even 18 years olds can still be brats! The minimal age system should be taken more seriously.

Although I have to disagre what some things Darkside just said. TF2 For a game made for adults does seem a bit Happier and more vivid than what kids play this days.
12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Website Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(12-12-2012, 10:09 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: yes let the anger fester your soul!
u just jelly cuz he awesome

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(12-12-2012, 10:18 PM)Robosprog Wrote: I'm 14 and 11 months, Darkside. Does that mean I shouldn't play TF2? That's some shitty logic right there. Anyone should play any game, TF2 is not an adult game, far from it.
I see no problem with a child playing an adult game if they're mature enough to handle it. For instance, imagine there is a 16 year old named Thomas. Thomas is immature, and plays Grand Theft Auto. He constantly visits strip clubs and makes sexist remarks about it.

Now imagine Thomas's brother John. John is 11 years old. John also plays Grand Theft Auto but prefers exploring the city and visiting different landmarks.

They both play the game. John is much younger, but also more mature about the content given to him. If you had to play with one of these two people, who would you want to play with?

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
12-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Find