Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Please convince me
Ketran Offline

Threads: 1
Please convince me

Hi there! I'm new to the forums but I've owned Amnesia for a while now and wanted to ask the community to help me out. You've probably had many threads like this.

I completed the demo at the expense of many pairs of trousers and naturally bought the game. Only problem is as soon as I boot up the game I can't bring myself to actually do anything. I don't usually let a game control me so much but I can't find it in me to play the damn thing. I am terrified.

Is there any words of courage of inspiration you can offer to help me play my money's worth? I look at the trailer for A Machine for Pigs and think oh man that looks awesome but I know I'll just be stuck in the same boat.

Please help me!
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Please convince me

Yerp I know what you mean Tongue

Had Amnesia and Penumbra for a couple of years now... Completed Overture, started Black Plague and don't have it in me to go back D:

As for Amnesia, done about 1/8 of the game I reckon and same thing.

[Image: luv.gif]
01-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

haha, well, it's good to hear it's scaring ya =P

Me personally, the more scared I get, the more I feel it was worth the money, which Amnesia is most certainly. I fearquit about 2-3 times, actually. I played in the dark, with headphones, all by myself, but if you REALLY can't do that, perhaps put on a light in the room, or have a friend on Skype. I wouldn't recommend it because you'll feel more accomplished in the end like "Hell yeah! I got through all of Brennenburg Castle all by myself and didn't need a puny little LIGHT. COME AT ME AMFP!", ya know? lol

I suggest trying to fight through it in the dark and alone, it'll feel well worth it in the end!
01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Find
Ketran Offline

Threads: 1

Well It's currently 17:18 where I am, it's dark out and I'm playing with my crappy room light on with my brand new surround headphones. Why did I have to buy new headphones ;_; I have started it however and I'm in the castle area that said Labarotorium or something like that. Where a woman's scream came from.

I can deal with the sounds and the spastic doors and winds but I know old flappy mouth can come at me any time he likes.

I don't want this to happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbE9-3s7qvo
01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

The worst thing that can happen in Amnesia is trying to hide from a monster, failing after a short amount of time, starting to run from it, and then turning around to check if it's still there, and you find him running straight at your face.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

What you have to keep in mind when you are playing: don't worry, you'll be warned when a monster is around. There's a particular music when a monster is in the neighbourhood; when it's looking for you; when it's chasing you. You can even hear a sort of a signal that alerts you that you are in the monster's sight (Click here to hear it now if you can't wait.)

Don't worry, even after reading this the game won't get any less scary Wink
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM by felixmole.)
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Simply say that you will never be a man if you don't finish the game while looking at some scissors right next to you.

Worked whit me!
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Website Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

Played penumbra overture black plague and requim also played amnesia from start to finish.
And however I really had some moments in both TDD and BP the thing that freaked me out the most was justine.
Horrified, I was however it give a kick to be scared an running try to either save ppl or not.
The fact there would be no afterlife made it feel so real and how strong the guards actually were.

BP and TDD were trully amazing BP when you first see the monster while walking trough the shaft OMG what is that thing and what is that red xray doing.
And then the first encounter while looking for syringe AW GAWD.

Personally I found BP scarier that TDD and TDD Justine scarier than BP.

So my word of courage for you are if you like feeling thrilled then you should definitely get it.
Otherwise no sweat you could ether ask your friends how it was or you could play it with your gamma up in an extremely bright room with speakers turned low but that will just leave you with cheap jump-scares and no real haunted horror feel.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM by maarten12100.)
01-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Find
Stayler Offline

Threads: 0

Well the game is scaring you that's a good thing.
But don't worry after a time you will get used to it, and not be that afraid. It's not like it will stop being scary but you will see how the monsters react and how to hide from them.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 10:28 PM by Stayler.)
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(01-03-2013, 08:33 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Simply say that you will never be a man if you don't finish the game while looking at some scissors right next to you.

Worked whit me!

I don't think you of all people should be giving any sort of advice involving the use of scissors.

What I do to get me ready for something scary, is I first either read some of Lovecraft or listen to an audiobook of his work. What this does is not only get me in a horror mood, but make me feel like a protagonist -- albeit a short-lived one, but one all the same -- and excites at any prospect of adventure, mystery, and thrills.
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Find