Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Goals and Storytelling
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Goals and Storytelling

I certainly read your worthwhile contribution to it.

Seriously, with the amount of "omg necropost, omg nobody cares, omg repost, omg tl;dr" posts here it's a wonder anything gets discussed at all.
02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

That was mainly just referring to the fact that TDS makes up most of the posts, and from what I've gathered not a whole lot of people really read his posts anymore.

Posting Freak
02-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Website Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(02-05-2013, 08:40 PM)Kman Wrote: Honest question, did anyone actually read this whole thread

(02-05-2013, 08:40 PM)Kman Wrote: did anyone actually read this whole thread

(02-05-2013, 08:40 PM)Kman Wrote: read this whole thread

Spoiler below!

[Image: no-nope.gif]

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM by Mine Turtle.)
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: Hmm, interesting idea with the cutscene issue, Aldigheri, how about
having it so that, although the cutscenes cannot be skipped on the first
time they run, the player is given the option to skip them on all
subsequent runs.. gives the best of both worlds i think.
It's a feasible system, that is apparently not hard to do(Because many companies do it) but some game developers feel that cutscenes are soo very important that they must not be skipped under any circumstances.

I don't understand that one bit. I've seen it done profusely with Japanese games, but I may be biased with that one.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
02-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

I know, hazarding a quess, i think those developers they make the cutscenes unskippable to fool the player into making the games seem longer than it is? hide the fact they are too lazy to develop more than 10 levels. games these days do seem to be getting shorter. and you cant tell me multiplayer takess up that much room on a PC dvd-9 or blu ray.

i mean, my own ip, if i ever get anyone to look at it, is very story based, and im going to run the cutscene skip system i prescribed, so i cant see why these developers insists on making us sit through three hours opf angry americans.. again... trying to hide how scandalously short the actual playable part of the game is strikes me as the only logical answer.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013, 09:00 PM by the dark side.)
02-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(02-08-2013, 07:39 PM)the dark side Wrote: I know, hazarding a quess, i think those developers they make the cutscenes unskippable to fool the player into making the games seem longer than it is? hide the fact they are too lazy to develop more than 10 levels. games these days do seem to be getting shorter. and you cant tell me multiplayer takess up that much room on a PC dvd-9 or blu ray.

i mean, my own ip, if i ever get anyone to look at it, is very story based, and im going to run the cutscene skip system i prescribed, so i cant see why these developers insists on making us sit through three hours opf angry americans.. again... trying to hide how scandalously short the actual playable part of the game is strikes me as the only logical answer.

I think the reason they make cutscenes unskippable is because they believe that the player will not have the intended experience with the game, if they do not watch and engage with the cutscene.

Problem is, a lot of people hate cutscenes, and for good reason - you lose control of your characters actions. If you have to watch a cutscene, even once, and you don't want to, then you are not going to engage with it anyway, making the whole reason to make it unskippable pointless.

In my opinion the best way around this is to change the plot so it does not require a traditional cutscene in order to show that part of the plot.

But, if you have to have an expositional scene like that for your story, why not have a scene that is set up like a cutscene, but does not take control away from the player - that's more like how Bioshock or Half Life have done it, as well as Amnesia (flashbacks?), to great effect. Particularly for first-person games, it makes for a far more immersive experience if the events are happening to you, rather than your character.

Events/conversations happen around you but you still feel engaged with the game because it is still happening in a 'gameplay' scenario to you, where you still have, even limited, interaction with the world. If the player can at least move and look where they like, you can make it unskippable because its a seamless in-game event, and simultaneously lessen the chance that they will disengage with the narrative due to losing control of their character

02-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Find