Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help How to make good pointlights ?
GoranGaming Offline

Threads: 30
RE: How to make good pointlights ?

(02-03-2013, 06:21 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: A dark pointlight (0,0,0,0) is pretty much useless. I have no clue why they're spammed throughout FG's prison levels. You can however, "diffuse" light intensity/color to make it look much more realistic and natural.

For example:

You have a hole in a ceiling. For simplicity's sake, lets assume its creating a yellowish/brownish light. You can have one pointlight directly under the light source. Because of its location, it will have the highest intensity and color definition. It could be colored to a light brown (0.5,0.4,0.3,0).

But, it looks strange having just that one light then darkness all around it. You can add additional point lights around the edge, with a darker brown color (0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0). Finally, you can add one last color of point light (again around the edge), an even darker brown (0.2, 0.1, 0, 0).

Try something like that. Idk.

They are connected to a torch/lamp. When you light the lamp, the pointlight gets lighted to, with the same color and brightness as the lamp/torch.

Current projects:

The Dark Prison 85 % (Stopped working on this one)

Unnamed Project 7 %
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: How to make good pointlights ?

(02-03-2013, 05:48 AM)No Author Wrote: So yeah, I've seen some people having trouble using pointlights including myself. Especially darkness.
How do I make natural darkness ? (Not pitchblack darkness)

You're not supposed to think about "Natural darkness".
You should instead think about natural light.

Darkness is something that appears when there is no light, or if something is blocking the lightsource from reaching a specific place.

Though light reflection can still reach this place. Therefore most places should be lit, around a lightsource, but in various colors, depending on the surroundings. Further away from the lightsource should the light fade out into black.

Having a lightsource changing from the lightsource color, directly into pitchblack is very unnatural.

(02-03-2013, 06:21 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: A dark pointlight (0,0,0,0) is pretty much useless. I have no clue why they're spammed throughout FG's prison levels.

And yea, they are connected, which is a very good way having normal lamps giving natural light when lit.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
02-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Find