Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Frictional's next game...
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
Frictional's next game...

Okay, we know that Frictional is working on a Penumbra expansion right now, but what next?

What would you like to see?

With "Sneaker" I mean games like the Thief games, Hitman games, or even the No One Lives Forever games and the Project IGI games. But of course, with focus on physics-based puzzles.

With "Exploration" I mean a Tomb Raider kind of game, but with focus on physics-based puzzles.

With RPG I mean kind of like Vampire Bloodlines, or maybe like Anachronox. But with physics-based puzzles (the physics were largely absent from the Vampire game, which disappointed me somewhat, but it´s still a great game).
04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Frictional's next game...

Horror game of course. But letting Frictional experiment with other game genres isn't all bad.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
04-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Find
TheLight Offline

Threads: 2

You can't really stick to one genre only. That would be a bit boring.

I really like to see a physics-based sandbox game. That would be fun (to me, anyway).

If you are dying and walking towards the light, please stop. Your entering my house.
04-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

TheLight Wrote:I really like to see a physics-based sandbox game. That would be fun (to me, anyway).

Hmm... what exactly do you mean by "sandbox"? A game where you have total freedom to do anything?
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Find
TheLight Offline

Threads: 2

spukrian Wrote:
TheLight Wrote:I really like to see a physics-based sandbox game. That would be fun (to me, anyway).

Hmm... what exactly do you mean by "sandbox"? A game where you have total freedom to do anything?

Yes. That's what a sandbox game is. Freedom to do anything. Perfect Example: Garry's Mod 10 for Half-Life 2.

If you are dying and walking towards the light, please stop. Your entering my house.
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

Unbirth/fiend remake whats unbirth?
04-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Unbirth was a project startyed by Thomas. Penumbra is the spiritual sequel to the game. Though unbirth looks more interesting than penumbra i must say.

04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

Where can I find information on this?
05-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

hmmmmmm...this is strange. Did a google search on "unbirth" frictional games

and it turned up this.
Quote:Tell us about your company Frictional Games. What games have you worked on in the past and how was your staff assembled?

Thomas GripFrictional Games was started during the Penumbra project. However the team members have worked together before, most recently for an educational game called Energetic. We have also been worked together on an old adventure game called Fiend and the more recent Unbirth (which is on hold because of Penumbra).

Most members have known each other long before the start of Penumbra through school and Internet. We all live in Sweden and like true “indies” work in our apartments to reduce costs.
http://www.justadventure.com/Interviews/...umbra.shtm

!

EDIT2: Here's the site.
http://www.unbirthgame.com/

It's old though, hasn't been updated for many years (probably since the tech demo)

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:There have been a few unsuccessful attempts at episodic adventure games in the past which have made adventure gamers leery of purchasing such games. What guarantee is there that the series will continue, especially if the first episode does not meet sales expectations?

First of all the entire story is already completed for the games so we already know what each episode will contain. This make it a lot easier for us to plan the episodes and release it on much more regular basis than previous episodic games. The episodes will also be somewhat self-contained stories so the player will feel as if something was accomplished at the end of the each episode.

Since the scope is limited to only three episodes we have already planned when each episode should be released and have been able to plan this budget wise. This means that we should be able to complete all the episodes even on modest sales. We are also reusing content for all episodes and saving time and money that way. We work in a way similar to how Lord of the Rings and The Matrix trilogy was made.

Hopefully all episodes will be released over the next year and the wait should not be too long for players that want more

You somewhat failed, but not completely. Tongue

05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Find