Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Slender: The Arrival Beta
Josh The Biker Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta

(02-21-2013, 03:04 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Crazy combination:
Play Slender, Slender: The Arrival, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and finally Amnesia one after the other. YOU CANNOT SLEEP FOR 2 MONTHS!

Slender's not scary. Amnesia's not scary. I've never played Penumbra but it probably wouldn't scare me.

[Image: Pearl_Normal_1.gif]
03-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-28-2013, 12:47 AM)Josh The Biker Wrote:
Play Slender, Slender: The Arrival, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and finally Amnesia one after the other. YOU CANNOT SLEEP FOR 2 MONTHS!

Slender's not scary. Amnesia's not scary. I've never played Penumbra but it probably wouldn't scare me.

whoa bro so edgy any edgier and you might accidentally cut someone

Posting Freak
03-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Website Find
Zaari Offline

Threads: 0

(03-28-2013, 12:47 AM)Josh The Biker Wrote:

[Image: tumblr_llgun0q1711qafrh6.gif]

"Marzipan, darling."
03-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

I don't know why I really don't think Slenderman is a very interesting concept. If somebody really wants to make a horror game why don't they just come up with something on their own, I mean creating your own thing is kind of a big part of the whole creative aspect.
03-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Find
Rheft Offline

Well slenderman is really popular back then so some people out there would like to use it as an idea for a horror game,but suddenly went...mainstream. Oh yeah,and Slender: The Arrival is a great game for me ,which made me stay awake all night freaked out.
04-01-2013, 05:15 AM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

The beta was promising. Full game disappoints me. It's just so poorly designed. A lot of cheap deaths and a focus on player skill but with super clunky mechanics that just don't support it. It's a shame. The visuals and music are great and do craft a great atmosphere. It's terrifying, until you die over and over and get frustrated. An unfair difficulty does not equate to good horror.

They cite Amnesia as their largest inspiration but totally miss the point.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013, 05:50 AM by Nyarlathotep.)
04-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I just finished watching Pewdie play it, and I know exactly why the concept of the "Finding pages" mechanic from the original does not work here in a full game.

In a simple phrase it was because the mechanic was built upon you being "supposed" to die before you found all 8 pages. Successfully finding all 8 pages in the original is something a bit like beating impossible mode in other video games, it is difficult as hell, but not absolutely necessary for the standard experience, which in the Eight Page's case is only finding a few of the pages.

That brings me to what I think is the standard experience of the original Slender game. It is a unique take on the genre of a "survival" game, where you try to stay alive as long as possible. Getting all eight pages is the highest score possible while getting fewer just means you get a lower score. You do not have to get all eight for the game to not be considered a complete failure. It can sometimes be fun to push yourself to get a new "high score" in this respective.

In Slender: The Arrival though, it takes this concept, and turns it into a objective for necessary progression, turning what was previously the hardest, and highest score possible into something you must do in order to progress further in the game, which in turn will turn the game from something that is seen as a challenge which pushes your skills to the limit into a frustrating thing you must accomplish.

It's a bit hard to explain, but I hope you get my meaning.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Didn't they make the 'The eight pages'-level easier in Slender: The arrival?
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Find
Rheft Offline

After watching some vids about slender the arrival, i think its much easier, but the improved graphics is a big problem to some player like me,who easily got freaked out.
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Find