Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Post, Model Editor question PLEASE HELP
vengey Offline

Threads: 7
First Post, Model Editor question PLEASE HELP

Hi guys, I am new to the community, well that's a lie, I have been making Amnesia Mods for about 7 or 8 months now, I am the creator of the Amnesia Hill series, and have a new upcoming project that I will be working on with Mr. DnALANGE, and his friend, but anyways, I finally was able to get Maya 2011 courtesy of Mr.Lange, so Im ready to make some 3D Models, I have a decent idea of what I am doing considering I took 3D Modeling class, but my issue is not Maya, but the Model Editor itself. I am able to make custom models and have them appear in the model editor as well as have physics, so with that said I can make just about any kind of entity in amnesia whether it be static or dynamic, but my issue is something with the items. Is there anyone here on this community that could give me a step by step tutorial JUST ON THE HPL MODEL EDITOR portion on how to get an ITEM to work in amnesia, like I said I can make entities they work well, but for some reason, whenever I put an item in the game, the player can never seem to have the ability to pick it up, it just glows but doesn't disappear or go in the inventory when the player clicks it. So could anyone help me out on this? Once I fix this issue, I shall begin development on my next mod a COMPLETE REMAKE OF RESIDENT EVIL 2, I know exactly how to make the Amnesia Engine work to my desires so it should be no problem ;D and on top of that I shall begin making my own custom models for the community just as soon as I figure out how to get this stupid item issue to be fixed Sad Help is greatly appreciated! Smile
02-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: First Post, Model Editor question PLEASE HELP

Ugh...

Try here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start
And here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/start

02-25-2013, 02:38 AM
Find
vengey Offline

(02-25-2013, 02:38 AM)darkely Wrote: Ugh...

Try here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start
And here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/start
Nonono I know how to use the model editor, but my issue is the fact that when the ITEM is put into the game, the mouse over event occurs, the object changes colors and highlights itself, but the player can't actually pick up the object, it doesn't go into the inventory, it doesn't give the prompt that says "Picked Up" nor does it disappear.
02-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Where do these people come from...
02-25-2013, 05:37 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

1. Import the mesh into the model editor
2. Add a body
3. Got to Settings > User Defined Variables
4. Change the type to Item, and the SubType to Puzzle.
5. Put something for SubItemTypeName, and make sure that it is using an Image File.
6. Put it in your map, and use it in game

Smile

In Ruins [WIP]
02-25-2013, 06:01 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(02-25-2013, 05:37 AM)Rapture Wrote: Where do these people come from...

02-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Find
vengey Offline

(02-25-2013, 06:01 AM)NaxEla Wrote: 1. Import the mesh into the model editor
2. Add a body
5. Put something for SubItemTypeName, and make sure that it is using an Image File.

Smile

Well you see, I did all of that, but it still won't work, plus I am trying to make this be an oilPotion entity so I used the subtype to OilPotion. See I am planning on replacing the oil with handgun ammo for my upcoming full conversion mod, and yes I know some code that will allow a handgun in amnesia, but the only issue is the player cannot pick up the OIL, or in this case HANDGUN AMMO. I have a picture, and a subitem name and a 60x60 TGA image applied to it, but the item still won't pick up, should I submit some screenshots so you can get a better idea of what is going on?

(02-25-2013, 06:01 AM)NaxEla Wrote: 1. Import the mesh into the model editor
2. Add a body

Smile

OH CRAP I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING! YOU COMMENTED ON THE SAME STATUS I LOOKED AT EARLIER TO SEE IF THERE WAS A WAY TO FIX THIS!He was having the same issue, but I never found a solution because you just 3D Modeled the item for him! Im having the same exact issue as this guy: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...age-2.html was having where the item just would not pick up for the life of him! See he only wanted one item, but difference is that I need to do this process a whole ton of times since there will be so many custom pickups to match Resident Evil 2. I am glad I wasn't the only one, I personally am clueless because I am doing just about everything right, but am having the same problem as that guy.

Okay I am going to post a link to my 3d model and .ent file, I simply have no idea what is wrong, and yes the model is oversized, but when it is scaled down to .07x.05x.03 it looks perfect
http://www.mediafire.com/?ubw3k9tg0yjlx2r
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013, 06:35 AM by vengey.)
02-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Ok, so I'm not really sure what was wrong with your .ent, but when I deleted yours and madea new one from scratch, it worked fine. You can download it here. Also, you image for it isn't working properly. It's too big and has white around it when the mouse is over the item in the inventory. Smile

In Ruins [WIP]
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

You need to assign it an image - there should be an option for it in the Modeleditor. The image should be approximately 60x60 px with a black background and an alpha channel. I think items without images becomes "un-pick-up-able". :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

02-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

(02-25-2013, 04:53 PM)Acies Wrote: You need to assign it an image - there should be an option for it in the Modeleditor. The image should be approximately 60x60 px with a black background and an alpha channel. I think items without images becomes "un-pick-up-able". :]

If you download the file he posted, you'll see that be has already made a .ent, and, if I remember correctly, there was an image assigned for it.

In Ruins [WIP]
02-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Find