Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Merging custom entities textures into one?
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Merging custom entities textures into one?

(03-23-2013, 11:50 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I wouldn't recommend pulling 3 textures into a 2048 - just for optimization's sake. Even though it might look clean and neat having all the files as one you're going to end up using more texture space than having 3x1024.
That's true... but I think it's not only texture size that causes performance issues, the number of textures that need to be looked up also plays a role. I'm no engine coder however, so I might be wrong. I bet Your Computer would know more about that! Big Grin
I became unsure as you wrote that.. Wanted to look it up.

http://wiki.polycount.com/Framerate%20Op...ing%5Cb%29

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50588

If all of that is correct "today" I do not know. Well, things to be considered:
- polycount doesn't matter as much. 1-300 polygons (during that time, cross all engines) = the same use of performance
- drawcalls; the amount of textures is the most important "bottle-neck"
- Don't bevel edges into very small borders
- Use geometry rather than alphas

So, is 3x1024 a better optimisation than one 2048? Well I guess the "safest" bet would be to create a 2048 and include a fourth 1024 texture into it = utilizing all of the texture space (same memory usage) + lower drawcall.

(03-24-2013, 12:20 AM)ClayPigeon Wrote: I actually just gave up on this idea because it's just too complicated to do, and for what? to save a 100, 200 kB of space?
I'd stick to the multiple textures idea, thanks for your efforts to help though Smile
In your case I think you should do whichever fits you best. Ultimately I don't think you're going to stumble upon performance issues developing your mod.

I personally will have to start thinking about these things..

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Merging custom entities textures into one?

(03-24-2013, 12:10 PM)Acies Wrote:
(03-23-2013, 11:50 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I wouldn't recommend pulling 3 textures into a 2048 - just for optimization's sake. Even though it might look clean and neat having all the files as one you're going to end up using more texture space than having 3x1024.
That's true... but I think it's not only texture size that causes performance issues, the number of textures that need to be looked up also plays a role. I'm no engine coder however, so I might be wrong. I bet Your Computer would know more about that! Big Grin
I became unsure as you wrote that.. Wanted to look it up.

http://wiki.polycount.com/Framerate%20Op...ing%5Cb%29

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50588

If all of that is correct "today" I do not know. Well, things to be considered:
- polycount doesn't matter as much. 1-300 polygons (during that time, cross all engines) = the same use of performance
- drawcalls; the amount of textures is the most important "bottle-neck"
- Don't bevel edges into very small borders
- Use geometry rather than alphas

So, is 3x1024 a better optimisation than one 2048? Well I guess the "safest" bet would be to create a 2048 and include a fourth 1024 texture into it = utilizing all of the texture space (same memory usage) + lower drawcall.

(03-24-2013, 12:20 AM)ClayPigeon Wrote: I actually just gave up on this idea because it's just too complicated to do, and for what? to save a 100, 200 kB of space?
I'd stick to the multiple textures idea, thanks for your efforts to help though Smile
In your case I think you should do whichever fits you best. Ultimately I don't think you're going to stumble upon performance issues developing your mod.

I personally will have to start thinking about these things..

Yeah I mean, after all I'm not some world-class modeler. I create simple models which don't take much space anyway so the difference is very small.
No issues until now with it, just wanted to merge them for the sake of file organization but I'll do good without it Smile
03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Find