Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern kitchen models
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
Modern kitchen models

Hey there,

This is a little project I've been working on for the last time. It doesn't contain much yet, but I'm going to add much more!

--Counters----------------------------------

- Coming soon! -

--Stove-------------------------------------

- Coming soon! -

Things I'm going to add:
- stove
- counters
- counter with a sink
- dishwasher
- fridge
- food (Items, statics and entities)
- anything you guys want/recommend!

Don't need to credit me if used.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Modern kitchen models

The textures don't look that very good, (512x512 or 1024x1024 at the best?)

The Stove/Oven is really blocky, the edges should be more rounded at the very least.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM by Rapture.)
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-17-2013, 06:03 PM)Rapture Wrote: Don't know why you would show those few models vs what you have written down which is a lot more.

The textures don't look that very good, (512x512 or 1024x1024 at the best?)

The Stove/Oven is really blocky, the edges should be more rounded at the very least.

Because I'm making more I'm not supposed to make a thread already with the stuff I already have? That seems silly to me. Why not let everyone download my models when they're already done..
Yeah, they're 512x512. I'll up the quality
And have you downloaded the stove? Because some edges are round-ish. I'll work on that anyway.
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Derp me, sorry I didn't read the title very well "Things I'm going to add". I thought it was what you have completed. Sorry!

I haven't downloaded the models yet, but I'm just judging from the picture. The edges are very sharp, so I guessed they aren't rounded. But I'll take a look at it later.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM by Rapture.)
04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-17-2013, 06:28 PM)Rapture Wrote: Derp me, sorry I didn't read the title very well "Things I'm going to add". I thought it was what you have completed. Sorry!

I haven't downloaded the models yet, but I'm just judging from the picture. The edges are very sharp, so I guessed they aren't rounded. But I'll take a look at it later.

Haha, it's okay Wink
Yeah, the top isn't rounded but the sides are rounded-ish. Is there a better way to do this except adding more edges and making them round looking?
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

You forgot to include the ".dae" files for some of your models. ("counter_convex.dae" & "counter_concave.dae" are the only ones in their)

You also need to organize it, like which ones are for "static_objects" folder and which one are for the "entities" folder. Include a "read-me" txt about which were each one goes, and any other misc. information you may want to include, credits, etc...

I don't know what modeling program your using, but say if you were using Blender. You can select the edges and do the "Bevel" to smooth the edges. I'm guessing your models are all under 800 Tris, so adding another 50-100 faces won't hurt at all.
If your using Maya/3Ds, someone else will have to help you.
04-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-17-2013, 07:14 PM)Rapture Wrote: You forgot to include the ".dae" files for some of your models. ("counter_convex.dae" & "counter_concave.dae" are the only ones in their)

You also need to organize it, like which ones are for "static_objects" folder and which one are for the "entities" folder. Include a "read-me" txt about which were each one goes, and any other misc. information you may want to include, credits, etc...

I don't know what modeling program your using, but say if you were using Blender. You can select the edges and do the "Bevel" to smooth the edges. I'm guessing your models are all under 800 Tris, so adding another 50-100 faces won't hurt at all.
If your using Maya/3Ds, someone else will have to help you.

Really?! Am I that stupid?! I really thought I included everything. I'll remove the download link for today and fix everything tomorrow (I'm tired, going to bed..)
I'll definitely add those things, thank you for that.
And I re-did all the textures on the counter
Spoiler below!
[Image: TK99Pvo.jpg]
Let me know what you think!
04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

This is perfect! I've been using Penumbra models for my circa- 2000 lodge level. I can't thank you enough!

Eagerly awaiting a re-upload with fixed paths and updated models. Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM by Streetboat.)
04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-17-2013, 07:51 PM)Streetboat Wrote: This is perfect! I've been using Penumbra models for my circa- 2000 lodge level. I can't thank you enough!

Eagerly awaiting a re-upload with fixed paths and updated models. Smile

You're welcome. I'd wait until I fixed everything if I were you. There is still a lot to be done Wink
04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Haha, it's okay [Image: wink.gif]

Yeah, the top isn't rounded but the sides are rounded-ish. Is there a better way to do this except adding more edges and making them round looking?
Well that's what a normal map is usually used for. (Apart from faking surface details) You make a highpoly model with rounded edges, then bake a normal map from your highpoly to your lowpoly. It makes your lowpoly looks as cool as your highpoly, without it needing more polygons. Big Grin
Of course, like Rapture said, with your model having so few polygons, beveling the edges wouldn't hurt either. But you could use a normal map anyway to make your model more interesting, so why not bake one! (You can combine a baked normal map with one you made from a 2D texture, too, by overlaying them with certain layer settings in Photoshop.)

Since I've never worked in Blender, I can't really give you a tutorial for that myself, but if you google something like "Blender normal map baking tutorial" you should find something rather quickly. It's a core element of 3D modeling for real-time use so there's a lot of good tutorial material for it out there.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Find