Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The moment of nothing
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: The moment of nothing

(04-18-2013, 11:09 PM)Wooderson Wrote: Already seen Cabin in the Woods Sad

I knew it was too early in the film for shit to happen.
Same here. This scene did build a bit of tension true, but was diminished by the fact that I was 95% sure nothing would happen.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

My thoughts on it (nothing are facts, just a rant of sorts):

It's "the psyche scare" (my favourite one). As you are put into a situation of percieved, or real, danger your body prepares itself for "combat/an encounter". Imagine a human walking through a dark forrest 2000 years ago. The human hears cracking noises, following it along the road. As adrenaline starts rushing, the heart-rate increases, all for allowing muscles to be used quickly for fight or flight. The body is ready to "take on the danger".

The feeling is unpleasant, because by nature (everything wants to live/fear of death), your body teaches you to avoid dangerous things (dead rats = feel sick, standing on the edge of a large height).

[Image: The-Scare.png]

Following the image I made: I believe as the adrenaline has been circulated in your body for a while it becomes subject to diminishing returns. You will feel "drained" as your body slowly becomes "un-combat-ready". Naturally, as the body now has "chosen" not to fight or flee. I suggest that introducing "the real threat" at this time will produce a greater scare reaction, since you are "physically" in the recess period of an adrenaline rush.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(04-19-2013, 12:53 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: That was beautiful.
Th-. . . Thank you.

I'd like to remind everyone that scenes that have a building moment of tension, then pause, then FUCK!! Are not what we should look for. Those are shitty.

I don't have anything like that, but I do have an interesting horror effect.

That was... funny yet weird yet disgusting.
I didn't find it to be scary, except for the fact that he just cut off a head, and he still has the body in the car...

This effect would rather have the player giggle a litte bit i think, than actually being scared... But that's only because he man is getting a blowjob, or what looks like a blowjob.
Were they instead kissing, with romantic music in the background the scenery would change.

@Acies
If doing what you suggest with the real scare, it'll be pretty hard to find the right time between the "let-down" of the body, and the real encounter.

If done too quickly it would just be the tension-nothing-A FUCK, as FailedAlias described.

Doing it too late will make it a separate scare that has nothing to do with the tension building...

Trying is the first step to success.
04-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Find