Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script Help PathNodes with ShowEnemyPlayerPosition?
Dominic0904 Offline

Threads: 14
PathNodes with ShowEnemyPlayerPosition?

Hey there, I was wondering if there was anyway to get path nodes to "work together" with the function ShowEnemyPlayerPosition? Because here is how I got my level set up;

[Image: tumblr_mj5d5x7yZp1rie02no4_1280.png]

The Brute (which is stationed in the bottom right room) is set to become active when the player walks through the door from the top left. I want this area to be where the player is chased constantly as they try to find the key to get out. But when I use ShowEnemyPlayerPosition. The Brute just stands in the corner moaning. At the beginning the Chase Theme starts playing, I stand there waiting to hear if any doors are being broken down. Then about 5 seconds after the music plays, it stops, as if the Brute has given up.

So I was wondering if there was a way to put down path nodes in this area in order to let the Brute navigate the area easily but still use the ShowEnemyPlayerPosition function in order to constantly chase the player.
04-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Find
Yare Offline

Threads: 2
RE: PathNodes with ShowEnemyPlayerPosition?

Nope, ShowEnemyPlayerPosition will make a monster simply ignore all his PathNodes and run directly at player. A monster moves along PathNodes only when he doesn't see the player.
Yet I know there is some way to make a monster run correctly, without getting stuck at walls or anything else. We can see that in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpvyUtxT_I
Brute chased the player properly through the bridge, though originally he should have turned directly at player and get stuck at bridge railing. I think it has something to do with NODES files, but I have no idea how they work.
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

It's like this, if there is two ways to get to the Player, the monster will automatically choose the shorter path to the Player. This is why it ran through walls -- it saw that the only short path is to go through and he get stuck.
A way to do this is adding block boxes to the edges. However, that doesn't always worked. As you can see, between the Player and the bridge is an endless chasm. There's no path there. So it took the longest way.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Find
Dominic0904 Offline

Threads: 14

Hmm, I think I'll just have the Brute patrol around the maze then, knocking down doors as he patrols the area. Don't have the time to figure out how to get ShowEnemyPosition to work as this is for my university project.

Hmm but then I have the issue that when the Brute sees the Player, he does not chase the player very far because the Brute doesn't strain fair from it's assigned path node. How would I get around this? Cause I'd want the Brute to chase the play properly if they are seen by it.
04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Find