Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Book Cases
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
Book Cases

So I'm making a rather large library (as a lot of you know) and I've become a stickler for detail on it. Problem with this is that, after finishing decorating only the fifth floor and sixth floor, the file is 1MB. This isn't including any decals or particle systems.

I was thinking perhaps making static bookshelf entities that already have books would be a good idea because it would allow me to decrease the number of entities I have to incorporate. The problem with this is that I'm not exactly sure how I would go about making these bookshelves and all the good tutorials are buried somewhere I can't find them (or incomplete) Confused

To sum it all up: How do I merge multiple static objects and entities in the level editor, make them into one large static object, then delete the unnecessary parts of the models?

Thanks in advance for any help! Big Grin

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
04-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Book Cases

If you need the model itself changed, then it will need a 3D-process. I don't know though, perhaps what you're searching for is a compound.

Make a shelf, with your books, and then make it a compound, pressing b. Then, its just like a single model.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
04-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I don't think your map size is to large (Sure the loading time might varyingly be longer or shorter on different comps.) right now. If you have (I think 6 floors), you will only reach 3-4mb in size when your done.
If your gonna go with Decals, try using what is available in the "static_objects>decals" section first.

The actual decals (That apply to any surface) really bloat your map size and I only use those for special cases and very sparingly.

//////
To elaborate on what The Chaser said, select the objects you want. And click "B" to make them into a compound.
04-27-2013, 01:50 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(04-27-2013, 12:09 AM)The chaser Wrote: If you need the model itself changed, then it will need a 3D-process. I don't know though, perhaps what you're searching for is a compound.

Make a shelf, with your books, and then make it a compound, pressing b. Then, its just like a single model.
Yay compounds! Actually, I'm already using those to arrange the layout of the shelves (although, from my past experiences with compounds, I should really avoid them at all costs). I was just hoping there might be some easy fix to file bloating other than downloading Maya or Zbrush. Thanks for the suggestion though Smile

(04-27-2013, 01:50 AM)Rapture Wrote: I don't think your map size is to large (Sure the loading time might varyingly be longer or shorter on different comps.) right now. If you have (I think 6 floors), you will only reach 3-4mb in size when your done.
Well that's a relief (you're right about the floor count, by the way) - I was actually really worried about the amount of lag a larger map would cause. Thanks for clearing that up!
(04-27-2013, 01:50 AM)Rapture Wrote: If your gonna go with Decals, try using what is available in the "static_objects>decals" section first.

The actual decals (That apply to any surface) really bloat your map size and I only use those for special cases and very sparingly.
I will definitely keep that in mind. I had to re-do my atrium map because it ended up being 9MB from all the grass decals (oops).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 02:50 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
04-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

You could make custom billboards using the textures for the sides of books and stick them on the bookshelves. Just a thought.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
04-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

divide the map in two
that's my advice before you keep adding stuff

and block access to those sections you know the player won't need
put a fallen bookshelf or something
this way you don't need to design that area.

04-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I could do it if all this doesn't work. Just let me know
04-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Can't you just copy the bookshelf into a new entities folder > Open it in the model editor and fill it with books = New Entity

And is it the file-size that bothers you? It's not a problem at all. I've seen maps 3 times bigger (3 MB) and bet you can make them even larger and filled. Keep doing what you're doing! And if you're really worried, make backups so you can start again from a place that wasn't just as filled as before

Trying is the first step to success.
04-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

Can't you make your shelf with your LVL ED and then save as .expobj?
remember to not make it a compound. Just select your shelf plus all your scenery (make a selection of the ents), go to file - export selection and that should do it Big Grin
AND THEN, you make your entities static. I don't think it will do anything if you make em static.

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 01:39 PM by Hardarm.)
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Website Find