Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice.
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
Need some advice.

Hey everyone I know in the past I said I was going to create a custom story, but I lost motivation and got bogged down with school work. However I kind of feel compelled to make a custom story again I just need a few questions answered:

1) Should I even bother making it for Amnesia or wait for A Machine for Pigs? I don't think my machine can handle A Machine for Pigs... as it stands anyway. I think I should do it for Amnesia though.

2) Should I have the entire story written out before hand?

04-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Need some advice.

So... anyone have some advice? please.

04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

wait for Machine, and yes, story first.

04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

1) I don't think it'd make much of a difference either way personally. Do whatever you like on this one Wink

2) My personal advice for this is that if your mod is going to be story based you should have a general idea of the entire plot from start to finish thought out before development even starts. You can leave out details for a later date, but I highly recommend that you at the very least have a basic outline of the entire plot.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-28-2013, 06:34 PM)Amn Wrote: wait for Machine, and yes, story first.
I know I asked for advice, but I am thinking I am going to make it for ATDD mainly because I want to practice and AAMFP will be using the same engine (but upgraded).

(04-28-2013, 06:36 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: 1) I don't think it'd make much of a difference either way personally. Do whatever you like on this one Wink

2) My personal advice for this is that if your mod is going to be story based you should have a general idea of the entire plot from start to finish thought out before development even starts. You can leave out details for a later date, but I highly recommend that you at the very least have a basic outline of the entire plot.
Well I'm reading the tutorial section (the dev. wiki I mean). I need a bit of help on making a starting script. Like what do I need to write in the script so I can have it load my map and spawn me (the player)? also where does it go? these are newbie questions obviously so sorry about that.

This is the script I'm looking at now.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM by darkely.)
04-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

For extreme basic needs, you do not even need a script file to spawn the player. All you'll need is the PlayerStartArea in your map, and you're good to go.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-28-2013, 06:51 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: For extreme basic needs, you do not even need a script file to spawn the player. All you'll need is the PlayerStartArea in your map, and you're good to go.

Well at the moment I am trying to make a simple room just so I can get a feel for mapping.

Once I finally make a level/map what should I do from there? should I make a script for maybe opening a door? like grabbing a key off the desk then use it to unlock whatever door. I can figure out how to make a script (on the dev. wiki I'll bet) however I get confused about where the .hps file goes.

04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

The best way to say where stuff needs to go,
Download a mod on MODDB, then you can see where the Hps \ . english and where your folders need to be.
I think it is the best way to show you where what needs to go and how it should look like.
Check MODDB\amnesia for custom storys.
For more questions offcourse ask them here.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM by DnALANGE.)
04-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Well there is this issue.

Any help is appreciated Smile.

04-29-2013, 04:29 AM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Make the ambient active!
and... WHY are you using mapvieuwer anyway?
i've NEVER used it!
Just open your map trough the game { play it WINDOWED mode }
Then look for the DEBUG mode "debug mode is IF you have a script and you made a mistake the game will NOT crash, it will say what the problem\error is. } <-- MUST HAVE!!!
-
SO go to MyDocuments and there is a amnesia folder, and there is a MAIN folder and in there is this : main_settings. OPEN and make this LoadDebugMenu="true" , default is false.
-
So, try that and you don't really need the mapvieuwer.
-
For opening the DEBUGMODE -> f1 in the game!
Good luck for more questions ask us.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM by DnALANGE.)
04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Find