Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fantastic Anti-piracy Statement
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Fantastic Anti-piracy Statement

(04-29-2013, 10:21 PM)Adny Wrote: says the man who gets in youtube comment arguments.

Says the man who skims through serious topics, so that he might catch someone and make cracks at them, in sentences he fails to capitalize.
04-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-29-2013, 10:14 PM)darkely Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 10:07 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 09:59 PM)darkely Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 09:54 PM)Bridge Wrote: Another reason is that it's completely absurd, not to mention disrespectful to the customer.

It's not absurd if a company wants to protect its product.

Since when did protecting your creation become inappropriate? the Steam profile linking thing is helpful for weeding out pirates who don't deserve customer support.

If someone wants to pirate the game they are completely within their right to do so. Why should legitimate customers suffer for their actions?

Because logging in through Steam is so terribly hard and makes people suffer? nope not really. The legitimate customer can play the game with no issues and people who didn't buy the game get no support.

If you only knew what kind of DRM Steam places on its products. Anyway, Steam is not the issue here. I am talking about DRM in general.
04-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(04-29-2013, 10:31 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 10:14 PM)darkely Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 10:07 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 09:59 PM)darkely Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 09:54 PM)Bridge Wrote: Another reason is that it's completely absurd, not to mention disrespectful to the customer.

It's not absurd if a company wants to protect its product.

Since when did protecting your creation become inappropriate? the Steam profile linking thing is helpful for weeding out pirates who don't deserve customer support.

If someone wants to pirate the game they are completely within their right to do so. Why should legitimate customers suffer for their actions?

Because logging in through Steam is so terribly hard and makes people suffer? nope not really. The legitimate customer can play the game with no issues and people who didn't buy the game get no support.

If you only knew what kind of DRM Steam places on its products. Anyway, Steam is not the issue here. I am talking about DRM in general.

I don't know the technical side of it however I do know that using Steam is better than other forms of DRM (*cough Origin *cough*. It doesn't force you to be online and it is not very intrusive.

I've been talking about Steam the entire time not DRM in general.

04-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-29-2013, 10:34 PM)darkely Wrote: I don't know the technical side of it however I do know that using Steam is better than other forms of DRM (*cough Origin *cough*. It doesn't force you to be online and it is not very intrusive.

Understood. The thing is, Steam does force you to be online because it has this DRM scheme with timed executables. Basically, every month or so you have to download a new executable for the game because it is designed to expire. There are explanations online for all of the DRM systems in place on Steam which you can check out if you want. In general, I don't have a problem with it. I am a fan of Steam, it is convenient and while I disagree with the philosophy it doesn't get in the way.

That's not to say however all developers have the wisdom to implement DRM so cleverly, which is why I am against it. People who buy the game are treated like thieves, and the actual "thieves" develop cracks that circumvent whatever measures the devs throw at them. It simply is not an effective solution. I question the validity of such a solution anyway. People who are spoken down to and "forced" to do something they are not willing to do are not generally ideal candidates for loyal customers. Quite the opposite actually, they plan revolutions in secret.

The bottom line is: appeal to the customer and treat him with respect and he will be willing to pay for the product.
04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

(04-29-2013, 10:27 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 10:21 PM)Adny Wrote: says the man who gets in youtube comment arguments.

Says the man who skims through serious topics, so that he might catch someone and make cracks at them, in sentences he fails to capitalize.

Sorry man, but he's right. Pirating a game because you hate the company is really poor justification. It's just an emotional rationalisation for what you did to make yourself feel better about it instead of an actual reason. "Psh, I'm superior to this company, therefore I'm allowed to download these games!"
04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(04-29-2013, 10:43 PM)Funderbunk Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 10:27 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:

Sorry man, but he's right. Pirating a game because you hate the company is really poor justification. It's just an emotional rationalisation for what you did to make yourself feel better about it instead of an actual reason. "Psh, I'm superior to this company, therefore I'm allowed to download these games!"

Is that directed at The chaser, Andy or FailedALIAS? Pretty confusing when you're quoting something completely unrelevant.

Edit: I just realized I've become a posting freak. Yay! :3
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM by Tiger.)
04-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2013, 10:41 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 10:34 PM)darkely Wrote: I don't know the technical side of it however I do know that using Steam is better than other forms of DRM (*cough Origin *cough*. It doesn't force you to be online and it is not very intrusive.

Understood. The thing is, Steam does force you to be online because it has this DRM scheme with timed executables. Basically, every month or so you have to download a new executable for the game because it is designed to expire. There are explanations online for all of the DRM systems in place on Steam which you can check out if you want. In general, I don't have a problem with it. I am a fan of Steam, it is convenient and while I disagree with the philosophy it doesn't get in the way.

That's not to say however all developers have the wisdom to implement DRM so cleverly, which is why I am against it. People who buy the game are treated like thieves, and the actual "thieves" develop cracks that circumvent whatever measures the devs throw at them. It simply is not an effective solution. I question the validity of such a solution anyway. People who are spoken down to and "forced" to do something they are not willing to do are not generally ideal candidates for loyal customers. Quite the opposite actually, they plan revolutions in secret.

The bottom line is: appeal to the customer and treat him with respect and he will be willing to pay for the product.

Agreed.

04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

The only games I download (or pirate) is stuff I can't get legally anymore, thank god GoG for SS2. Examples of those games are old DOS games. Recently I skimmed the internet for a copy of toonstruck, couldn't find it. I also make sure the company isn't alive and kicking or if the license has been bought up by someone else.

I don't think piracy is justifiable. Even if you think the price tag is too high or that you don't like the company, or you just want to "try it out".

If you can't pay, wait for your next paycheck. Or buy a similar game with a smaller price tag. It's the same as any other type of product, want the highest quality shirt? Then get ready to pay up, want the highest quality games? Then get ready to pay up.
If you don't like the company, you wouldn't play their games to begin with.
And if you just want to "try it out", well, you don't get to permamently try things out in your local furniture store, what makes games any different?

I don't get it, games are not any different than any other product, and yet people try to justify stealing things.

It's these things that makes me cringe and think twice about making games, too many damn thieves around.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 11:03 PM by eliasfrost.)
04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(04-29-2013, 10:14 PM)darkely Wrote: Because logging in through Steam is so terribly hard and makes people suffer? nope not really.

It is, actually. I dislike Steam, and the reason is because I own very few games. I just couldn't be bothered with having to run a program in the background every time I want to play a game. I always prefer DRM-free or physical copies over Steam.

On topic: While it is a pretty clever and amusing anti-piracy statement, I have mixed feelings about it. I think that by doing something like this, they might be actually hurting their sales. Consider this: many people pirate in order to try a game before buying it (I know that there is a demo for the game, but many people are afraid of the limitations that a demo might impose on them, or are just used to pirating everything). So , they encounter said "balance issue", realize that there is no way around it, decide that the game sucks, delete it and forget about it - a potential buyer lost.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
04-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2013, 10:57 PM)Naked? No Wrote: I don't get it, games are not any different than any other product, and yet people try to justify stealing things.

A lot of Amnesia players are 17-20 and may not have jobs. Some of them just pirate the game and simply don't care and don't feel the need to justify it.

In the past when I pirated a lot more I used to just want to play the game, but my mom wouldn't let me buy it (even if I had the money). Was that an excuse to pirate it? not really, but I didn't care.

Now I don't pirate nearly as much. Part of the reason is I realize now that developers deserve to be paid for their work.

(04-29-2013, 11:00 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: On topic: While it is a pretty clever and amusing anti-piracy statement, I have mixed feelings about it. I think that by doing something like this, they might be actually hurting their sales. Consider this: many people pirate in order to try a game before buying it (I know that there is a demo for the game, but many people are afraid of the limitations that a demo might impose on them, or are just used to pirating everything). So , they encounter said "balance issue", realize that there is no way around it, decide that the game sucks, delete it and forget about it - a potential buyer lost.

That is the oldest excuse in the book "oh well I just want to try it" then they play the entire game and don't feel the need to buy it.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM by darkely.)
04-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Find