Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Tokenism, Character Development and Writing
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Tokenism, Character Development and Writing

(05-09-2013, 04:58 PM)Adrianis Wrote: I read it, and equally wished to put an end to this in a quick way.

I'll just say that my hostility was based on the fact that what you presented was not just your position on the whole PC thing, but you actually insinuated that the people who advocate it are condescending, faking concern, and promoting segregation and inequality. You assumed the intent of the people behind it without understanding it, which I find personally insulting. Had you talked about it being a way to avoid the problem and focused on language and not ideas, I would have only argued against those points, and would not have been so hostile.

As I said, I just think we have different conceptions about what political correctness is. When I think "political correctness" I think of the fake language and the insincerity that characterizes a considerable amount of PC's efforts. This is not baseless by the way. You can really tell that some people are fighting the urge to speak freely - which is of course what everyone should do. As I said before, it doesn't matter what words you use; racism is at its core an idea. That is my biggest beef with PC; I just feel it addresses the wrong issues and tries to avoid confrontation with forced diplomacy - it doesn't work. I do think we are agreed on a fundamental level though, about equality.
05-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Back on topic, Naked? No (which is really awkward as a name to refer to, by the way Smile), I agree with and respect that decision. If you're work came across as disingenuous, it wouldn't matter how thoughtful you are being, the work itself would fall flat and it would lose any potential for profound meaning. It's a difficult position to be in but I would hope there are enough sensible people around to appreciate your reasons for portraying your characters in the way that you do.

I think problems tend to arise when all the good characters are Upstanding Caucasian American Males and the antagonists are nondescript brown foreigners. However, I would have thought that any story with characters so ill-thought out is going to be trash anyway, and therefore not worth regarding.

05-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Honestly I agree whit this. And It actually reminds me of an interesting "Extra Credits" video that mentioned the fact that the protagonist from The Walking Dead (game) was black. The character's personality, goals, weaknesses and straights could be given to a character of any race, religion (or none), or even sex. The fact of him being black and male changes nothing. Its only the character's outer layer. The only thing this outer layer should be relevant on is how characters subtly react to it.

And yes. Making a character gay, black, or insert another minority/ Discussable trait here. Just for the sake of it or to make it "correct" like. (Hey we need black/gay/Muslim dudes cuss heya people will say shit about us if we don't!). Thats crap honestly. Making a fuzz about a minority even if you defend it is ridiculous. Is like making a joke about black dudes is for some reason a taboo because I must be racist if I do it. Its "racist" to give a fuck about it at all times! Unless of course if I suddenly started to beat the living shit out of someone only because of their skin color! If you want minorities to have the same rights as others. don't elevate them! treat them like you treat everyone else and not like a greenhouse flower that needs its daily duce of care and hugs.
05-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Website Find