Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Is it possible?
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27
[Help] Is it possible?

Hi i was just wondering if it's possible to make critters follow pathnodes?
Or are they always random?

Thanks

- Inactive account -
05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18
RE: [Help] Is it possible?

(05-14-2013, 09:28 PM)Zandorio Wrote: Hi i was just wondering if it's possible to make critters follow pathnodes?

Thanks

Firstly, i cannot say for certain as i do not recall trying this. I don't think they can though (to test it, just add some path nodes and see if they can follow them - if it doesn't work with this test then it can't be done).

All is not lost if you cannot get them to follow the pathnodes though! You can always make a custom enemy from the critter by adjusting the entity type. You will probably need to mess around renaming the animations and perhaps adding some dummy ones in the entity file (you shouldn't need to do any modeling stuff though unless you want your critter to attack, which it doesn't have the animations for!). You will then need to configure the enemy variables so it has the same hitbox and speed of the critter. Getting all this configured right will probably be a bit of a slog and take some time - but it will work eventually.
After adding your enemy-critter to the map you will need to disable enemy triggers through scripting so that the critter doesn't start chasing the player instead of following path nodes.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013, 03:54 AM by Apjjm.)
05-15-2013, 03:53 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

But if you'd make the critter a enemy, wouldn't it drain your sanity and have the sanity-lose effects?
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

(05-15-2013, 03:53 AM)Apjjm Wrote:
(05-14-2013, 09:28 PM)Zandorio Wrote: Hi i was just wondering if it's possible to make critters follow pathnodes?

Thanks

Firstly, i cannot say for certain as i do not recall trying this. I don't think they can though (to test it, just add some path nodes and see if they can follow them - if it doesn't work with this test then it can't be done).

All is not lost if you cannot get them to follow the pathnodes though! You can always make a custom enemy from the critter by adjusting the entity type. You will probably need to mess around renaming the animations and perhaps adding some dummy ones in the entity file (you shouldn't need to do any modeling stuff though unless you want your critter to attack, which it doesn't have the animations for!). You will then need to configure the enemy variables so it has the same hitbox and speed of the critter. Getting all this configured right will probably be a bit of a slog and take some time - but it will work eventually.
After adding your enemy-critter to the map you will need to disable enemy triggers through scripting so that the critter doesn't start chasing the player instead of following path nodes.

Thanks, guess I could try. Would be really cool!

- Inactive account -
05-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Zandorio, you have to consider Smoke's post. It's hard-coded in the game you have to disable sanity drain in order so you don't loose sanity.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

(05-15-2013, 02:59 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Zandorio, you have to consider Smoke's post. It's hard-coded in the game you have to disable sanity drain in order so you don't loose sanity.

Alright, I do understand fairly advanced coding, and I've tried a few different methods to see if It's possible without changing to much.

Thanks for the help anyways, I appreciate it alot.

- Inactive account -
05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(05-15-2013, 04:31 PM)Zandorio Wrote:
(05-15-2013, 02:59 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Zandorio, you have to consider Smoke's post. It's hard-coded in the game you have to disable sanity drain in order so you don't loose sanity.

Alright, I do understand fairly advanced coding, and I've tried a few different methods to see if It's possible without changing to much.

Thanks for the help anyways, I appreciate it alot.

You can turn off the screen effects if it's a full conversion. But then the player won't be able to see the screen effects when looking at monsters. I'm not sure how hard it would be to turn off the hard coded part, but I think it'll be hard. Just some things to be considered when making this.
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

You could probably do it. It'll probably require a lot of work though. I got a spider to follow me around a while back. That took a good long while. It was really funky because I had to switch between two entities so the critter would face weird directions.

Anyways, yeah you could probably make it a water lurker monster type, since I don't think you lose sanity when looking at lurkers. Lurkers can't be assigned path nodes if I remember correctly...so you'll have to use "food" entities to get him to move.

Edit: that'll also cause issues if you want more than one critter, because they'll both probably chase the food, so it'll be hard to control them. But anyways this is just off the top of my head.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM by palistov.)
05-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(05-15-2013, 11:12 PM)palistov Wrote: You could probably do it. It'll probably require a lot of work though. I got a spider to follow me around a while back. That took a good long while. It was really funky because I had to switch between two entities so the critter would face weird directions.

Anyways, yeah you could probably make it a water lurker monster type, since I don't think you lose sanity when looking at lurkers. Lurkers can't be assigned path nodes if I remember correctly...so you'll have to use "food" entities to get him to move.

Edit: that'll also cause issues if you want more than one critter, because they'll both probably chase the food, so it'll be hard to control them. But anyways this is just off the top of my head.

Actually, Water Lurkers can follow pathnodes and they drain sanity. This is proved on the Cellar Archives and Archive Tunnels.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Yes, they follow them. I said you can't assign them path nodes. You can't command them to follow a path you want them to.

05-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Find