Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia units?
Feared Offline

Threads: 2
Amnesia units?

Maybe I didn't look long and hard enough but I couldn't find any documentation on Amnesia's unit system. What is one unit in Amnesia equal to? I know it's not 1 AU = 1 meter because I've modeled things to scale and imported them into Amnesia and they end up being too small.

What are the measurements of Amnesia's Units? I know the player is 0.8 AU's wide and 1.8 AU's tall but what does this mean to me as a level designer and a 3d modeler?

Just realized I didn't put this thread in the forum I intended. Sorry about that.

Maybe 1 AU does equal 1 meter? It's possible there is something wrong with my exports from Blender.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM by Feared.)
06-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Amnesia units?

Set your scale to "meters". Walls are (usually) 4x4 meters for example ~

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Find
Feared Offline

(06-05-2013, 11:44 PM)Acies Wrote: Set your scale to "meters". Walls are (usually) 4x4 meters for example ~

I have my scale set to imperial but I don't think that's the problem. My walls are 8' high (2.4384 meters). These are not meant to be castle walls but cabin walls. The doors are about 6.5' high and seem way tiny. Why does the scaling seem so off in this engine? Am I missing something? I know in the Source engine a 6.5' high door looks fine. Something doesn't feel right about this. Is the camera attached properly to the 'face' of the player or is it on top of the player? Maybe this is the cause?
06-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Everything in Amnesia is measured in meters. If you're using Blender with its factory settings, then one Blender unit is equal to one Amnesia unit (meter). In other words, nothing needs to be changed. However, before export you should apply the mesh scale (Ctrl+A, Apply > Scale).

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
06-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Website Find
Feared Offline

(06-06-2013, 02:32 AM)Your Computer Wrote: Everything in Amnesia is measured in meters. If you're using Blender with its factory settings, then one Blender unit is equal to one Amnesia unit (meter). In other words, nothing needs to be changed. However, before export you should apply the mesh scale (Ctrl+A, Apply > Scale).

Thanks but my Transforms are all zero's and one's. I'm understanding that 1 AU is 1 meter but it certainly doesn't FEEL that way. I'm wondering why this is the only engine I've used where 1 meter feels like 2 feet. Also, I'm using Blenders Imperial units. That's irrelevant, though.
06-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Maybe because the grid units in the Level Editor are default set to 0.25 meters. so you'd have to move an object 4 times along the grid for it to move 1 meter. Dunno, it could just be your perception.
06-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Well, if everything in blender checks out (e.g. scale slider, under units? - not sure, but it should matter), since you said that it "feels" wrong, maybe the problem is just the way the player camera is setup in game?

Try lowering it down by, say 0.2m, and see how it feels, using:
PHP Code: (Select All)
MovePlayerHeadPos(0, -0.20101);    // change the second (negative) parameter to experiment. 
(In this case, the camera height will be 1.8m - 0.2m = 1.6m; I found on the internet that average eye height for men is 1.540 m to 1.785m, do the value is within that range.)

<EDIT>
You can also try moving the camera a bit forward, to get a slightly different feel when rotating
MovePlayerHeadPos(0.0, -0.2, 0.2, 10, 1);
</EDIT>

Anyone knows if there's a way to change player's head position, and things like that, for the entire scope of a custom story using a config file or something (and not script functions)? Calling MovePlayerHeadPos() from OnGameStart() in inventory.hps actually works (Big Grin) but it's kind of hackish, I don't like it.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2013, 03:43 AM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
06-09-2013, 03:36 AM
Find