Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimization?
stormtrooper106 Offline

Threads: 3
Optimization?

So my first map it looking nearing completion....However, my map now starts to lag when ever I load it up. Though, it is not a bad lag, but it looks a little choppy, like the framerate had dropped a little. Now, before you say anything about graphics cards, and computer specs, that's not the problem. I can run Amnesia and other games perfectly fine on ultra settings. So, I'm pretty sure it's because of the lack of optimizing my map.... And I looked around on the wiki, and I didn't find any topics about optimizing maps......unless I missed it or read over it.....tends to happen when you have ADHD, and it makes your attention span rather small, and takes your concentra..."OOOH LOOK AT THE SHINY THING ACROSS THE ROOM" *Looks at shiny thing* XD
But, my question is, what are some methods of optimizing maps if there are any?
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM by stormtrooper106.)
06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Optimization?

You can add culling fog to your level, just a very faint fog. When using sounds and particles, you can do this too:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...erformance

PreloadParticleSystem(string& asPSFile);
PreloadSound(string& asSoundFile);

These two Preload a Particle system or a sound, and when you use them, they cause less lag.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM by The chaser.)
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Find
stormtrooper106 Offline

(06-20-2013, 03:04 PM)The chaser Wrote: You can add culling fog to your level, just a very faint fog. When using sounds and particles, you can do this too:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...erformance

PreloadParticleSystem(string& asPSFile);
PreloadSound(string& asSoundFile);

These two Preload a Particle system or a sound, and when you use them, they cause less lag.
Thank you for the quick response!
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM by stormtrooper106.)
06-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

In the level editor, at the side of "File" (where you load, save the maps, etc) there's a panel called "Edit". Click it, and, at the final, there's something called "Level Settings". Click it, and go to "Fog". Tick the "Active" box and play with the color and Start/End values. I like to have the start to 10/20 and the final at 40/50 Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
06-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Find
stormtrooper106 Offline

(06-20-2013, 03:21 PM)The chaser Wrote: In the level editor, at the side of "File" (where you load, save the maps, etc) there's a panel called "Edit". Click it, and, at the final, there's something called "Level Settings". Click it, and go to "Fog". Tick the "Active" box and play with the color and Start/End values. I like to have the start to 10/20 and the final at 40/50 Wink
Thank you again!
I think I read somewhere it said that lights can also reduce the performance somewhere? So I should ease up on the lighting then, because I did have a lot of point lights in places where they don't necessarily need to be.

(Edit) False alarm. I work on a laptop, and I had closed it for the night last night, and I forgot that re opening it takes a performance hit on my games for some reason >.< So I just had to reboot it, and the map runs perfectly now Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM by stormtrooper106.)
06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Find