Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4.82 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 3
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 3

Mhh, but I wouldn't conclude from that statement, that there will be random monster spawning. I think it would be quite difficult to implement such a system. It must stay fair for the player.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 02:47 PM by Draug.)
08-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(08-23-2013, 02:46 PM)droog Wrote: Mhh, but I wouldn't conclude from that statement, that there will be random monster spawning. I think it would be quite difficult to implement such a system. It must stay fair for the player.

Um, implementing random monster spawn location isn't that hard actually. But it is un-fair.

So having fewer spawn points would be great.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(08-23-2013, 02:46 PM)droog Wrote: Mhh, but I wouldn't conclude from that statement, that there will be random monster spawning. I think it would be quite difficult to implement such a system. It must stay fair for the player.

I honestly don't think it would matter that much though, because for a game like Amnesia which is designed to be enjoyed once with little replay value beyond that, you'd likely fully appreciate the game from having only played it around twice.

In which case a "set" monster spawn would have the same effect as a "random" one, because it being your first (Or second) time, you wouldn't know where the monsters were coming from anyways.

Used as a system as its own however...that's an entirely different case.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM by Kreekakon.)
08-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Find
Peci Offline

Threads: 1

(08-23-2013, 01:41 PM)droog Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 07:38 PM)Peci Wrote: Yeah. Biology isn't my strong suit but I think hippos only live in Africa so I guess he travelled quite a lot.

No matter if Mayans have anything to do with the plot or not, this is something to read for a horror fan. Didn't know they were so brutal.

"Aside from decapitation, the favored method in Postclassic times was a trick acquired from the Mexican cultures to the north, the removal of the heart. Women and children were sacrificed just as often as men. The intended victim was stripped and painted blue before being led to a courtyard or temple where the victim would be placed face-up over a convex altar-like stone also painted blue.

The arms and legs of the victim were held by specially designated priests while a fourth, called the nacom, would penetrate the victim's chest with a flint knife just below the left breast. Reaching inside the chest cavity, the nacom would pull out the still beating heart and hand it to another priest, who would then smear the blood on that idol to which the sacrifice had been made
(maybe that's why to cover art pig idol is bloody? Big Grin).

If the sacrifice had taken place on the top of a pyramid, the corpse would be thrown to the courtyard below where priests of lower rank would skin the victim except for the hands and feet. The skin would then be worn by the officiating priest who would solemnly dance among the spectators. If the victim had been an especially brave warrior his body might be butchered and eaten by the nobles and other spectators."

Read the whole thing from:
http://ambergriscaye.com/museum/digit14.html

You have to watch the movie "Apocalypto" from Mel Gibson. They do the thing with the heart there. One of my favourite movies. Don't be deterred by the fact, that the movie is completly in their language (with subtitles).

I know the movie but haven't seen it -thanks for the tip! No problem with the subs, nothing is dubbed here in Finland (except for some cartoons and animations).

..and now back to the topic Smile
08-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

(08-23-2013, 06:01 PM)Peci Wrote: nothing is dubbed here in Finland

And thank god for that because I've been to Italy once and watched some TV, everything was subbed .. and it wasn't good Tongue plus Finnish would probably be a lot worse

(.. maybe partly because I don't speak Italian, but that's not what I really meant Big Grin)

Anyway, any news on pre-loading? It's gonna take me at least 2-3 days to DL that baby. Then again, probably will save it for the weekend anyway. (I don't think I'll be able to resist a little try, though. Angel)
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 06:35 PM by Sampyli.)
08-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Find
fancreeper Offline

Threads: 3

Frictional games twitter:"First round of review copies have been sent out! The pigs are stirring."

Steam ID: fancreeper
08-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

(08-23-2013, 06:37 PM)fancreeper Wrote: Frictional games twitter:"First round of review copies have been sent out! The pigs are stirring."

inb4 google amfp reviews and ruin everything.
08-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(08-23-2013, 06:30 PM)Sampyli Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 06:01 PM)Peci Wrote: nothing is dubbed here in Finland

And thank god for that because I've been to Italy once and watched some TV, everything was subbed .. and it wasn't good Tongue plus Finnish would probably be a lot worse

(.. maybe partly because I don't speak Italian, but that's not what I really meant Big Grin)

Anyway, any news on pre-loading? It's gonna take me at least 2-3 days to DL that baby. Then again, probably will save it for the weekend anyway. (I don't think I'll be able to resist a little try, though. Angel)
subbed isn't bad at all dubbed however is hell.
When I'm in Austria I have a hard time getting myself understood even though they speak german their tongue is the worst.

I can live with subs but dubs are boggling my mind I don't want to hear non english of something that used to be English.
Sollen wir ein whisky in saloon trinken? (If there are non native Germans here I'm pretty sure they'll get the reference)
08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
VadimLongcat Offline

(08-23-2013, 03:30 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: In which case a "set" monster spawn would have the same effect as a "random" one, because it being your first (Or second) time, you wouldn't know where the monsters were coming from anyways.
Well, i disagree with you. I've played Amnesia TDD for maybe 5 times, and each time there was something new, that i haven't seen before. And now it's boring for me to play it, only because i know all of the monster spawns. In other case, i would play it again.
08-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

(08-23-2013, 08:54 AM)Tillion Magnet Wrote: Interesting tweets. A little disappointed he didn't comment on the game's 'scare level' though. To be honest we haven't had much focus from anywhere put on how scary the game actually is, more on the story than anything else.

Which is fine if they want to keep it a surprise, but it's still a little disconcerting to me.

Why disconcerting? The game is a survival horror, and has the Amnesia title. The scary part is a given, it's how the horror and the story interwove that makes it far more interesting than just Boo!

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
08-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Find