Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

PHOBIA - Tales of Terror (Horror Web Series)
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5
Video  PHOBIA - Tales of Terror (Horror Web Series)

I'm currently producing a horror web series titled "PHOBIA" which is just entering onto it's second season. This web series is inspired from shows such as "Are You Afraid of the Dark", "The X-Files", "The Twilight Zone", "Goosebumps" and from popular texts such as H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe and the many many Creepypastas found on the internet.

I figured fans of Amnesia would enjoy it. So please, turn off the lights, put on your headphones, and watch. Feedback is always appreciated.

Series Playlist
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/_AzD8iWfRLw?list=PLImwNw...mUoHGvEAu1[/video]

We have just released the first episode of the second season on our new channel "Horror Hive". This new channel will be collecting a huge amount of user submitted content of all things horror, while having Open Sign Productions produce official content such as the PHOBIA series.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2014, 06:33 AM by J.R.S.S..)
09-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: PHOBIA - Web Series

I used to watch Twilight Zone and Goosebumps, I'll have to check these out soon. And I did not know you took part in films, so there's that. :D
09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Episode 4 just released. Enjoy.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
09-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Website Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Episode 5 just released. Quite a step up from the previous episodes. Enjoy.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
10-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Didn't really like it that much (I've only seen episode 5). Poor cinematography and music in my opinion, hammy acting, extremely minimalistic narrative (almost nonexistent), etc. I guess the editing is good though (I'm not really a good judge of that but there was nothing about it I had any problem with) and the lighting is decent (with a more clearly defined and solid style of cinematography it would look great). By far my biggest gripe at the moment though is that there is no narrative structure whatsoever. These short sketches are beyond pointless if there isn't at least some substance, even if there is no overarching storyline. I'll probably be watching these as they come out. Best of luck with this series.
10-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

(10-20-2013, 10:58 PM)Bridge Wrote: Didn't really like it that much (I've only seen episode 5). Poor cinematography and music in my opinion, hammy acting, extremely minimalistic narrative (almost nonexistent), etc. I guess the editing is good though (I'm not really a good judge of that but there was nothing about it I had any problem with) and the lighting is decent (with a more clearly defined and solid style of cinematography it would look great). By far my biggest gripe at the moment though is that there is no narrative structure whatsoever. These short sketches are beyond pointless if there isn't at least some substance, even if there is no overarching storyline. I'll probably be watching these as they come out. Best of luck with this series.
I thank you for the opinions and thoughts, they do help. To say something about the series being non narrative in structure, one episode not involving the next, we took this idea from series such as The Twilight Zone and Goosebumps/Are You Afraid of the Dark. Those were made to tell individual stories, as we make these to tell individual creepy stories made for the web (as in, under 10 minutes). It's a taste that one has to already enjoy or acquire. Each one is made to induct some type of fear or oddness into the minds of the watchers. That is also why I suggest watching it at night, alone, with headphones, and the lights off. Amnesia style of playing I suppose. Again, thank you for the comments and for the best of luck, it's very much appreciated.

And with that, and the weekend of Halloween, here is our Halloween special, twice as long as the previous episodes and (in our own thoughts) a higher production value.

Enjoy, and comments/criticism is much appreciated.

H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
11-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(11-01-2013, 10:33 PM)J.R.S.S. Wrote: To say something about the series being non narrative in structure, one episode not involving the next, we took this idea from series such as The Twilight Zone and Goosebumps/Are You Afraid of the Dark. Those were made to tell individual stories, as we make these to tell individual creepy stories made for the web (as in, under 10 minutes). It's a taste that one has to already enjoy or acquire.

Yes, I understand that and I don't have anything against that type of format (I enjoy The Twilight Zone - what I've seen anyway). When I say that the narrative is minimalistic I'm not referring to the overarching narrative but the isolated narrative contained within each episode. I just feel the episodes don't really tell a compelling story. Maybe it just isn't for me. BTW, the latest episode was a step up in my opinion, but most of the problems I mentioned I felt are still prevalent to some degree.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 11:00 PM by Bridge.)
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

It's alright, and definitely has a creepy vibe, but the music is a bit too wet sounding, and the camerawork could use some improving. Episode 6 however, looks a lot better. Only problem would be acting, which being a filmmaker myself, I know how hard it is to find really good actors. I wish it had a little bit more story though... I can see a ton of potential here. Perhaps I could submit one of my unused scripts for you to build off of. I have tons.

The last man on Earth stood in a room.
There was a knock on the door.
11-02-2013, 03:41 AM
Website Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

(11-01-2013, 11:00 PM)Bridge Wrote: Yes, I understand that and I don't have anything against that type of format (I enjoy The Twilight Zone - what I've seen anyway). When I say that the narrative is minimalistic I'm not referring to the overarching narrative but the isolated narrative contained within each episode. I just feel the episodes don't really tell a compelling story. Maybe it just isn't for me. BTW, the latest episode was a step up in my opinion, but most of the problems I mentioned I felt are still prevalent to some degree.
Ah, I see. Well, the biggest issue is the time limit we have when making these. It's quite difficult to grow character development and a full story in such a short time (usually, 5 minutes or less). Since these are also inspired by Creepypastas, we just wish to tell a creepy story in a short time. I have some special plans for the second half of the seasons so perhaps the new episodes will entertain you more. Thank you again for the comments.

(11-02-2013, 03:41 AM)HorrorElementFilms Wrote: It's alright, and definitely has a creepy vibe, but the music is a bit too wet sounding, and the camerawork could use some improving. Episode 6 however, looks a lot better. Only problem would be acting, which being a filmmaker myself, I know how hard it is to find really good actors. I wish it had a little bit more story though... I can see a ton of potential here. Perhaps I could submit one of my unused scripts for you to build off of. I have tons.
Thank you for the comments. I'd love to look at one of your unused scripts, always love to see new ideas. You can go ahead and send me whatever you wish to my email at jer08k2@gmail.com

H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
11-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Website Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

And the second half of the season starts.
(warning: this episode takes some thinking)

H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM by J.R.S.S..)
01-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Website Find