Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Reviews] Amnesia – A Machine For Pigs
ZeazyZ Offline

Threads: 0
RE: [Reviews] Amnesia – A Machine For Pigs

(09-09-2013, 06:16 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 06:14 PM)ZeazyZ Wrote: But mosSmilet of them have been 7.5-9/10, I think those are pretty great numbers

Well, Penumbra also got this scores and it's even better than all in my opinion. Such scores often doesn't say anything about how good a game really is.

Okay you got a point in there. I guess we'll just have to play the game and then decide if it was good Smile
09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

I find it morbidly amusing how people treat reviews as universal truths.

The vast majority of people view reviews in the wrong way and use them in the wrong way.

"10 OUT OF 10??!!??!?!?! NEED TO PLAY IT. IT'S AMAZING."

"5/10? Meh, it's shit. The reviewer clearly hated it so i'll hate it too."

I wish people would teach the gaming ''scene'' how to interpret reviews.

And a few of the criticisms i've read scream ''Amnesia was my first game and thus this one didn't surprise me."

Frictional Games' scares have ALWAYS been linear and timed. If you aren't looking at the correct area you can easily miss a lot of things. That's the risk they've taken since day ONE.

As for ''being able to see through the seams of the scares''? Puhlease. That was my main issue with A:TDD. These people are experiencing what we, the ones who played Penumbra before Amnesia, experienced during the later chapters of BP and the whole of A:TDD. Ie, this will always happen in games like these, so I would take their opinion with a healthy dose of salt.

So when I see these reviews I know where they're coming from and thus analyze it from there. I don't just have a knee jerk reaction and go "SEE!?!?!?!??! SEEEE!?!?!?!??!!? TCR DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING CAUSE SOME JOURNALIST ON THE INTERNET SAID THIS.''

*rolls eyes*
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM by Cuyir.)
09-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-09-2013, 06:55 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: I find it morbidly amusing how people treat reviews as universal truths.

The vast majority of people view reviews in the wrong way and use them in the wrong way.

If common points are raised by multiple people, that's more than enough reason to make a judgment about the game i.e. that it's easier than Amnesia 1/more story-based/got an ageing engine.

That said, I'm not surprised to see that people have grown accustomed to Frictional's scare tactics. I always cared more about the story than anything else.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM by Alardem.)
09-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

(09-09-2013, 07:04 PM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 06:55 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: I find it morbidly amusing how people treat reviews as universal truths.

If common points are raised by multiple people, that's more than enough reason to make a judgment about the game i.e. that it's easier than Amnesia 1/more story-based/got an ageing engine.

Funny how people will act superior for claiming not to listen to public opinion, when in reality that's what they do believe.

I'm not claiming any superiority. I'm just saying the truth. People view and analyze reviews the wrong way. What you just said is the correct way to view reviews. You SHOULD take what a lot of people mention and have it in mind but NOT treat reviews as universal truths.

But all i'm seeing is people pissing and moaning because of the low scores without playing the game.
09-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

Well said. Ultimately reviews should only be used as a very rough guideline, the best review being your own when you've played the game. Smile

Beefjack gives it a Recommended:

http://beefjack.com/reviews/amnesia-a-ma...review-pc/

"A Machine for Pigs is decidedly an Amnesia game, but it bravely heads off
in its own direction. Many described Dear Esther as an experience more
than anything else, and this one certainly fits that bill. It is a
harrowing experience that’ll probably turn you off pork, and not the way
Babe’s adorable piglet would."
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM by Ossie.)
09-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Find
fede91fede Offline

(09-09-2013, 07:08 PM)Ossie Wrote: Well said. Ultimately reviews should only be used as a very rough guideline, the best review being your own when you've played the game. Smile
+1
09-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

To me critics doesn't mean shit, look at cod. Same whit every time
and still got positive reviews.
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

One of the main things that seems to be repeated is that a lot of journalists started with Amnesia: TDD and thus they were massively impressed. And now their second experience doesn't seem to be as good as that first blush.

What does that remind me of?

How I felt after I played through A:TDD, after experiencing the Penumbra trilogy a fear years beforehand.

What does that make me think?

It'll probably be a good game but nothing I haven't seen before from FG and TCR but still enjoyable.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM by Cuyir.)
09-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

Note that at this time, 17 critics have commented on AMFP (27 for Outlast), so we should expect something around 75 as the final mark on metacritic (hopefully I am wrong).
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

Still waiting on Destructoid's one

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
09-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Find