Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2008-08 Friday 29th, Penumbra: Requiem released, trailer out and Mac & Linux
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
2008-08 Friday 29th, Penumbra: Requiem released, trailer out and Mac & Linux

Two days ago Penumbra: Requiem was released and made available on Gamer's Gate, the game is also heading for Direct2Drive, but not up yet.

The official site for the game is located here and today we also added the trailer for the game.

Mac & Linux users can look forward to a release as soon as possible, the game is in the process of being ported. More news on this as the ports near completion.

About Penumbra: Requiem

"Penumbra: Requiem is an expansion for the horror game Penumbra: Black Plague and takes off where the last game ended. Requiem sees Philip, the game protagonist, falling deeper into madness and has to fight inner demons as well as outer ones.

Penumbra: Requiem is to be considered an epilogue to Penumbra: Black Plague and not as a new episode in the Penumbra series. The main goal with Penumbra: Requiem has been to focus more on the physics puzzles and to see how far the current game engine could be pushed. This has made Requiem into a game that focuses more on gameplay and puzzles than the previous Penumbra instalments and a game that is more experimental in nature.

Although having a strong emphasis on puzzles the game still features a dense atmosphere, a trade mark of the Penumbra series. In Penumbra: Overture the goal was to induce strong fears from isolation, in Black Plague a main theme was paranoia and in Requiem you'll find a nightmarish and feverish atmosphere.

Penumbra: Requiem is an attempt to deliver a fresh and rewarding experience and not just some rehash of previous material."

08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: 2008-08 Friday 29th, Penumbra: Requiem released, trailer out and Mac & Linux

But the the previous material is what made penumbra great!

With overture, I was often scared and turned off the game.
In black plague, I only cancelled it once (in the computer room)
In requirem; well, I stopped several times because it becomes repetive and rather bland at points. The 3-d scenes are increasily low-quality (I've seen a ton of areas not filled in, displaying the color of ambient fog)
Requirem has a ton of loose ends so far, even when I'm only at level 5 (I think it's level 5). Besides a few references, it doesn't even seem like Requirem is related in the slightest doubt to penumbra.

Puzzles range from stacking boxes to get onto a ledge (quite exploitable Smile to breaking chains with bottles of explosive. Quite a wide range of puzzles, however after a few levels it begins getting repetive. I don't want to spoil anything.

It's well worth the $10 and the support you give frictional in doing so, but as far as replacements go, this one shall be abnormally normal.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Find
Paulaner Offline

Threads: 0
RE: 2008-08 Friday 29th, Penumbra: Requiem released, trailer out and Mac & Linux

I have to say that I like the puzzle oriented nature of Requiem. A different mood, but this "Portal" flavour is intriguing Smile
09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Find
Guyra Offline

Threads: 2

I'm looking forward to playing the final part of the story! Big Grin
09-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

i must say, overall great game, but the portal idea has given you a bit of bad feedback. Still , i really loved the puzzles and especially the script!

Not an image
09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

sorry to bother you jens, but is there a word on the linux release of requiem?
10-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Find
ced117 Offline

Threads: 1

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:sorry to bother you jens, but is there a word on the linux release of requiem?
yeah... +1 we speak from the Mac port too, of course :p
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Website Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Maybe in 1-3 weeks time, some time progress is faster and sometime it is slower. The porter does the work in his sparetime so it's at a pace that he is able to find the time for.
10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

thanks. Ive been wanting to send you feedback; just wasn't sure what until now.
10-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Find
dannotdan Offline

Threads: 0

Can we get a new update on the Mac version?
11-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Find