Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which protagonist do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mandus
42.11%
56 42.11%
Daniel
57.89%
77 57.89%
Total 133 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Daniel vs Mandus
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Daniel vs Mandus

Phillip is the most sympathetic of Frictional's protagonists as far as I'm concerned. The most questionable thing he's done is demand the death of the Tuurngait, and by that point I'm entirely on his side.

Funnily enough, he also has a split-personality problem that he eventually transferred into a separate entity. Just like Mandus. I wonder if this theme of duality is a deliberate action on Frictional's part, because so far ALL the player-characters can be argued to possess two distinct personas - inhuman violence and fearful vulnerability. SOMA seems to be heading in that direction as well.
10-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I guess I could sympathize more with daniel, but I liked both characters. Daniel's story seemed to be told better (not sure how at the moment) but I felt more connection to Daniel. I guess having notes that talk directly about his story were more easy to follow than mandus notes. Daniel's reaction to his situation seemed realistic because what he did seemed reasonable for the situation he was in, it made a lot of sense why he tortured people (they're bad people says alexander and he needed to save himself) and then it made sense why he had a breakdown after realizing how far he'd gone. And how is he a coward, exactly? What he did seemed like something anyone would do in his situation.

For Mandus, it just doesn't make that much sense. Why did he go to Mexico, why did the egg split his soul? And wtf happened that made him realize what he'd done and give him amnesia? I'd have to find a plot description to know all of this stuff. All of this that I've listed so far wasn't even clear to me until I saw someone's quick description of the story. Needless to say I was pretty confused throughout the game. Also I don't have children, so the whole thing with the children didn't really make a lot of sense to me. Maybe if I was 40 I'd understand better.

I do really like the idea of the amfp story though and the whole aesthetic. Perhaps if it was all a bit more clear to me I would pick mandus over daniel.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

(10-21-2013, 12:50 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: For Mandus, it just doesn't make that much sense. Why did he go to Mexico, why did the egg split his soul? And wtf happened that made him realize what he'd done and give him amnesia? I'd have to find a plot description to know all of this stuff. All of this that I've listed so far wasn't even clear to me until I saw someone's quick description of the story. Needless to say I was pretty confused throughout the game. Also I don't have children, so the whole thing with the children didn't really make a lot of sense to me. Maybe if I was 40 I'd understand better.

I'm not even 20 and I can answer all that. :p

Mandus went to South America because he's a rich man who could do that - and because his 'great-uncle' had books that spoke of archaeological treasures hidden in the ruins of great civilizations like the Aztec. Upon arriving, he encountered an otherworldly artifact just as Daniel had done 60 years before and it granted him a twisted vision of the future. As for his change of heart; it seems to have taken place after the Professor's arrival and subsequent murder around Christmas Eve. I think that prompted Mandus to search his soul, attempt suicide in despair by sabotaging the Machine, and having his memories fried out of his skull.

As hateful and depraved as Ozzie is, his fear of the future, his desperation to change society, his myopic sense of superiority over humanity - those traits can still be applied today. One only has to look at the doomsday prophets, the people claiming that World War 3 is just around the corner, and many an armchair misanthrope on the internet to see just how ridiculous and crazy such a perspective actually is. :p

I don't empathize with the character, but I can understand him.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 01:12 AM by Alardem.)
10-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-21-2013, 12:50 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Daniel's story seemed to be told better (not sure how at the moment) but I felt more connection to Daniel.
It's generally easier for us to connect with someone who committed atrocities as a result of circumstance than someone who carefully planned and orchestrated a mini-genocide.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(10-21-2013, 01:10 AM)Alardem Wrote: I'm not even 20 and I can answer all that. :p

Well, I meant to understand what it's like to have kids. And for the rest, very interesting, that helps a bit. Still a lot of holes and confusion though

@Chrono
Yeah, I'd imagine the majority of the players of this game aren't Hitler

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 04:12 AM by Damascus Rose.)
10-21-2013, 04:11 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

(10-21-2013, 04:11 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 01:10 AM)Alardem Wrote: I'm not even 20 and I can answer all that. :p

Well, I meant to understand what it's like to have kids. And for the rest, very interesting, that helps a bit. Still a lot of holes and confusion though

@Chrono
Yeah, I'd imagine the majority of the players of this game aren't Hitler

I'd imagine most of Amnesia's fans aren't cowardly torturers either. For their sake anyway. :p
10-21-2013, 04:21 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(10-21-2013, 04:21 AM)Alardem Wrote: I'd imagine most of Amnesia's fans aren't cowardly torturers either. For their sake anyway. :p

Hopefully. But I think that it would make more sense (given the context) to the Average Joe than a mass-genocide would

10-21-2013, 04:51 AM
Find
Toothbrush Offline

Threads: 1

Defenitly Mandus.
Because if more people acted like him, the world would have less filthy humans walking around the Streets! Wink
Somehow when "being" Mandus, i felt less scared then "being" Daniel. Some of Mandus recorded speakings i could relate to very much.
No, i wont start a mini genocide, but love the thought of being able to actually do so.
Perhaps being just a toothbrush gives me a valid excuse for that?!
10-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Find
JohnDoe Offline

Threads: 0

(10-21-2013, 02:30 PM)Toothbrush Wrote: Somehow when "being" Mandus, i felt less scared then "being" Daniel.

Given that we were playing a horror game, I suspect that this was a downside for many of us.

Alardem Wrote:I'd imagine most of Amnesia's fans aren't cowardly torturers either.
As I said in my poll response - Daniel's actions to save himself are the ones that you hope you could never take, but secretly fear that you might if pushed far enough.
10-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

It also has to do with the way the notes in both games are written. In addition to putting a lot of fluff in his prose, Mandus is very unsubtle, saying things like "Well, my descent begins!" (after reasoning his children are down in the machine) or "into the loam where surely only bodies may be found" whereas Daniel narrates his experiences as they are.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Find