Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speech on why AMFP is good for me. *SPOILERS*
Corbent Offline

Threads: 1
Speech on why AMFP is good for me. *SPOILERS*

Full speech on why AMFP was successful for me.

Disclaimer: Of course, this is my opinion, as valid as any other, but maybe someone finds it interesting.

Greetings.

I want to share my thoughts about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

First and foremost I enjoyed the game. A lot. Yes. I did. Bash me.

I think that the problem with all the rage about the game is that players sabotage themselves. Horror, even when you may think it's an aggresive and overwhelming subject that should be able to subdue you against your will, is a delicate genre that needs cooperation from the player in order to have a full effect. It's a lot like a good magic performance. I will elaborate:

The less you know, the better: I'm pretty sure a lot of people watched videos about the game before playing themselves (I'm looking at you Pewdiepie). I absolutely never watch videos of horror games I want to play. I watch the trailer and hope for the best. Why? Simple, they usually aren't really expensive games and I'm not gonna die if the game wasn't that great in the end. Second and more importantly: It spoils your own fun! Horror games are magic performances that play with you and fascinate you but in the process the tricks are revealed! And so they are much less effective when performed a second time.

The following spoiler may ruin your experience if you haven't played:
Spoiler below!
People talking about "Walking Simulator", "Boring game", "No reason to stop and fear", etc. are people that knew beforehand that there was no danger!

When I played I didn't know, I walked slowly, checking doors carefully (I dreaded slightly opened doors), always made sure to know where to run in case of emergency (in the secret passages I made sure they could be closed as to run inside and slam the door on any creature face to gain time). I heard footsteps, I was tense, waiting for something to appear. When I could interact with a door but it didn't open I was scared that something was going to burst through it after I did something (I remember when I got inside the bathroom, and was on my way back outside I heard the lights flickering outside and I know that wasn't good, it took me a little while to think what to do if everything went to hell).

Now I know it was all smoke and mirrors, and I wouldn't feel the same if I play again, but the trick was well played. It was successful! I'm not going to tell the magician "Man you cheated, you didn't really made that rabbit disappear." I play for the emotions, the unease, the unknown, the adrenaline if things go to shit. If the trick was successful, it doesn't matter what was the trick behind it. I like it.

I was in such a disposition that I missed some things entirely for example the parts where you can watch the pigs minding their own bussiness (eating, playing, etc). I didn't see it on my playthrough. I never felt te urge to watch the monsters, as soon as I heard the minimum indication of their pressence I would kill the light, hide and try to spot them while keeping on my way. Crouching most of the time.

Now touching other very "popular" topics:

Resources: Damn, I don't understand why this causes so much trouble for people. I used very little oil and tinderboxes in the previous game. I always prefered the dark, you could even see pretty well in the dark with that cat's eye effect. The chance to be seen scared me more than anything else. The limiting factor for using the lantern was the fear, not the oil plus I found the effects of sanity weren't really that bad and it was manageable, Even sometimes if I felt danger I would try to drop it on purpose so he had his seizure and recovered to keep going. Or used a tinderbox to recover a bit of sanity beside the candle.

Resources weren't as vital as some people want to believe. In AMFP you have that blueish effect at first, but when you get to the factory it becomes pitch black and it is more dreadful. Even when the light is unlimited I used it very sparingly for the fear of being seen, and I did have a related accident but survived.

Another point on the resources topic is "Since there is no resources I need, there is no point in exploring". Too bad for you, you are not enjoying the trip then. To uncover the plot is a good reason to explore. To experience a disturbing event is a good reason to explore. And both reasons are present in this game.

Puzzles: First of all they are not puzzles really. They are obstacles in the way. A padlock, a pound of flesh, a beverage for a guy who's gonna loose his head, etc, etc, etc. There are times in which they don't get in the way of the story and there are times in which they do. I didn't find the obstacles in the first game particularly amazing or innovative, they were just obstacles.

In this story the protagonist is in a hurry. He needs to save his children, time is of the essence, it would be against the atmosphere to put him to perform an hour long circus every now and then. Obstacles were there because they might be there on a real setting but straightforward enough to not break the pace.

To sum it all. I found it to be a good game. A good experience and I thank The Chinese Room and Frictional Games for it. But remember that in this genre, much like with hypnosis, you should participate to get the best effect and have fun.

Advice on playing horror games:
-Basics: Lights off, headphones.
-The less you know, the better. DO NOT watch gameplay before.
-Be the character. Believe you are there.
-If you need it, take a therapy for bitterness.
-Have fun.

TL;DR: Read the post. If you don't have the habit of reading, this game is not for you.
09-13-2013, 05:45 AM
Find