Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story Settings Mess up?!
T122002 Offline

Threads: 10
Custom Story Settings Mess up?!

Hello!
I got a new computer so I had to transfer my custom story on my flash drive. That way once I got a new computer, then I can get right back to making the story. Well, I finally have a new computer and I downloaded the HPL level editor, notepad++, pretty much all of the essential stuff needed to create the story.

Well, all of my coding works. But I wanted to go right back to the map I was editing and bug testing.

Here is my CFG:
<Main
Name="Amnesia: Ben's Story"
Author="Taylor122002"
ImgFile="coverimage.jpg"

StartMap="map05.map"
StartPos="PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

However, when I try to get back to "map05", it brings me back to the very first map. The original story name was "Amnesia: A New Story". So when I went to play the game and click on my story, it would say "Amnesia: A New Story". Which is what I want. However, it wouldn't bring me to "map05" like I have set it to do.

So I completely deleted the CFG file and retyped everything. I even changed the name of the story. But when I go back into the custom stories option when I'm in game, it still says "Amnesia: A New Story" when it should be "Amnesia: Ben's Story" and it still brings me back to the first map, even though its set to "map05".

How do I fix this? This is really annoying.
09-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Custom Story Settings Mess up?!

Are any of your Amnesia custom story files located in C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Website Find
T122002 Offline

(09-14-2013, 10:06 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Are any of your Amnesia custom story files located in C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore?

No, I didn't see anything located in the VirtualStore. Am I supposed to?
09-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-15-2013, 12:35 AM)T122002 Wrote: No, I didn't see anything located in the VirtualStore. Am I supposed to?

The Virtual Store is the only thing i could think of off the top of my head that could have caused what you're experiencing (since that's what the issue was for previous instances for other people). This makes it more difficult to troubleshoot your issue if it is true that you didn't see anything in the VirtualStore folder.

Just to be clear, did you really reach the VirtualStore, or did you stop at C:\Users\<YourUserName> because you didn't see an AppData folder in there (the AppData folder by default is a hidden folder)? And are you sure you're not editing the files on the flash drive instead?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Website Find
T122002 Offline

RE: Custom Story Settings Mess up?! [SOLVED]

(09-15-2013, 01:08 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 12:35 AM)T122002 Wrote: No, I didn't see anything located in the VirtualStore. Am I supposed to?

The Virtual Store is the only thing i could think of off the top of my head that could have caused what you're experiencing (since that's what the issue was for previous instances for other people). This makes it more difficult to troubleshoot your issue if it is true that you didn't see anything in the VirtualStore folder.

Just to be clear, did you really reach the VirtualStore, or did you stop at C:\Users\<YourUserName> because you didn't see an AppData folder in there (the AppData folder by default is a hidden folder)? And are you sure you're not editing the files on the flash drive instead?

I believe I looked right. When I found my AppData folder, it was kind of like.."invisible". I mean I could still click on it, but the icon was transparent. I doubt that means anything, but yeah, there's nothing here.

I didn't set up a name for my PC, so its just Owner.

(09-15-2013, 01:17 AM)T122002 Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 01:08 AM)Your Computer Wrote:

I believe I looked right. When I found my AppData folder, it was kind of like.."invisible". I mean I could still click on it, but the icon was transparent. I doubt that means anything, but yeah, there's nothing here.

I didn't set up a name for my PC, so its just Owner.

Its always a possibility that I'm editing it on my flashdrive... I just took the custom story off my flashdrive and transferred it to the desktop. So I'm not completely sure.

[SOLVED]
I don't know what I was doing. I was getting really frustrated and almost gave up on the story. I was messing with things in the map and re-naming everything. Somehow, that fixed it.
Also while doing this, I had to take my custom story out of Amnesia and re-put it back in the custom stories folder.
I don't know what happened, but it suddenly works now.
Thank you, YourComputer, for your help!

Attached Files
.png   Untitled.png (Size: 114.86 KB / Downloads: 116)
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 02:22 AM by T122002.)
09-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Find