Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spoiler Did anyone find Tesla to be difficult?
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Did anyone find Tesla to be difficult?

OMFG TCR STOLE BIOSHOCK'S MONSTER!!!11!!

But seriously, it could be a mere inspiration or coincidence.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
10-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

(10-05-2013, 12:27 PM)The Mug Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks the tesla pig looks a little like a big daddy(bioshock)?
The thing in their mouth resembles a diving helmet, and having a big gun/drill/thing on one arm is a pretty common trait for them as well.
Spoiler below!
[Image: Tesla_Render.jpg]

Lawl, PIG DADDY! XD

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
10-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Hadn't played Bioshock, but I have gotten a decent look at the Big Daddy from Sony Smash Bros. Must admit, although they do look somewhat similar, their behavior is quite different (as to what I have seen), so I doubt there is a form of plagiarism, but I can see where you're coming from.

If they wanted to rip it off quite a fair bit, they would get a Wretch to come at you in a dress :3

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 04:34 PM by Romulator.)
10-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

(10-05-2013, 04:27 PM)Romulator Wrote: Hadn't played Bioshock, but I have gotten a decent look at the Big Daddy from Sony Smash Bros. Must admit, although they do look somewhat similar, their behavior is quite different (as to what I have seen), so I doubt there is a form of plagiarism, but I can see where you're coming from.

If they wanted to rip it off quite a fair bit, they would get a Wretch to come at you in a dress :3

Naw, don't even mention Playstation All-Stars! It's a rip-off of Smash Bros, and a terrible one at that.

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
10-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Anyways, back to slightly somewhat on-topic:

What about the run from the Engineer pig while on the streets? I must admit, I looked at it, then looked ahead as if to say "Nahh, that won't chase me.", but without moving from my spot I looked at it again and then said, "Actually, I had better run" and screamed as I raced for that cage fence.

Running through those alleyways with the fire and stuff made me think of the first level from The House Of The Dead II however, that reminded me of the $30 I spent over the years in that machine, and am the only person at my local cinema to set a score above those developer 500000. (and now we are back off-topic)

Back on topic to the topic I am now raising: How did you feel running from the Engineer Pig on the street?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 04:42 PM by Romulator.)
10-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Find
Fleische Offline

Threads: 5

For me this was the most disappointing part of the game, because it felt the most gamey -- ie, unless you have the reactions/luck to pass this obstacle, you're not going to progress, game over.

Whereas you might say skill, I say reactions/luck because the actual solution is quite obvious (like most posters even I managed the first encounter on my second attempt) so it's just a question of moving the mouse/pressing the keys at the right time to get through it. (Plus a technical bug rendered the labyrinth impossible for me).

So otherwise it really is a story-driven game of exploration. Yes, the interactivity is minimal and it does effectively boil down to a lot of walking, listening, looking, and reading.

But I think this is part of the reason why I felt a bit duped by the tesla encounters, because they felt quite out of place with the preceding gameplay.
10-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Find
ChrisAU Offline

Threads: 0

I enjoyed the 'Tesla' encounters.
I liked how the game changed the rules which is a good method for getting players out of their comfort zones. My whole strategy leading up to that point was to creep around in the dark, listening and hitting the lantern on only when I needed to light up a section or find a pathway.

It was enjoyable to find that method didn't really work against 'Tesla' (I died once, 2nd time I led him away from the control panels and then ducked around the vat things to clear the room).

I died in the small maze section once as well - From going back to my tried and true method of hiding in a dark corner. Was a pretty good adrenaline rush in comparison to most of the game being a large build up of fear. Smile

I don't agree that it was 'gamey' to be honest. Reminded me of the water chase part from Dark Descent where you have to run from the water monster and quickly open and close the doors to create some more breathing room for yourself. Or the part shortly before? Where you have to throw the bodies into the water, and then speedily raise the grill to move into the next room.

-----

The 'Engineer' in the streets killed all my immersion and I stopped playing the game for about 3 weeks after I cleared that section. Sad
I walked up to the T-Junction, looked around the corner and spotted him so I started backing back the way I had just come to try hide somewhere, when he came running around and chased me.

I realised I had nowhere to go, so I tried to juke around him...He hit me once and then I was running with him chasing. Then the game bugged out, and I was inside of his model and I could see parts of his skin yet he didn't hit me again. Really killed it for me.

-----

I'm glad nothing in the game was too difficult puzzle wise or enemy wise. Spending ages in one area trying to solve a puzzle to progress would have killed the build up for me, as well as repeatedly dying in the same area.

As a foot-note, in the 'Piston-Room' (I think from memory) I got surprised by the monster because I couldn't hear him walking around so he chased me and killed me, but he took about 8 shots to do it...That killed the immersion because after 3 I knew I was dead, and just sat there for another 15 seconds waiting for him to finish me off. Should have been reduced to 2 or 3 swipes IMO.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 10:54 PM by ChrisAU.)
10-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Find
Fleische Offline

Threads: 5

(10-08-2013, 10:52 PM)ChrisAU Wrote: I liked how the game changed the rules which is a good method for getting players out of their comfort zones.

That's a good point. But also changing the rules too radically and too suddenly can totally break immersion/atmosphere. And as MFP is all about that, breaking it is bad.

You compared this sequence with TDD's water levels. I'm not generally keen on comparing the 2 games like this as their gameplay is too different so it's apples and oranges. But perhaps this was the problem: perhaps surprisingly I loved TDD's water levels. I died many times before I completed them although again there was no great mystery about what was required. But the frustration of having this sort of progress blocker was outweighed by how well those levels were realised and how well that sort of sequence fit into that game and that point in that game.

With Tesla, that wasn't true. It felt out of place and jarring. That said, I'll admit that I may have had a softer opinion of it if it hadn't also been bugged to unplayability on my computer.

Quote:I'm glad nothing in the game was too difficult puzzle wise or enemy wise. Spending ages in one area trying to solve a puzzle to progress would have killed the build up for me, as well as repeatedly dying in the same area.

Yes. This is really what I meant by 'gamey'. I mean this sort of thing is fine for some games but out of place in such a narrative-driven work as MFP.

And I agree about the swipe-to-kill. I got jumped and beaten up like that too, Problem is each hit knocks your view and because your vision is so poor (because it's so dark, even with the lantern) it's really difficult to get your bearings again (make sure you aren't just looking at the floor or a wall) and run away before the next blow.
10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(10-05-2013, 04:42 PM)Romulator Wrote: Back on topic to the topic I am now raising: How did you feel running from the Engineer Pig on the street?

At first I thought it was just idleing and then I walked pasted it and it begin to scream and then I panicked.I got killed the first but the second try I manged to escape.One of the scariest parts in AMFP in my opinion.
10-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Find
blueberry Away

Threads: 11

Well, it was chilling but indeed it was difficult. The pig was hard to avoid sometimes and i died many times there... So it was pretty hard.

[Image: 80912c88643a023617c8c4165f3dad77.png] Gimme a sex~

- Some twat 2014
10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Find