Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
Plot Theories
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Plot Theories

Not much of a theory, but I looked up the word Pathos (the name of the ship/station they're on)

Pathos (noun) - a quality that evokes pity or sadness.

The game takes place on PATHOS - 2

Could they be studying... emotions? As in human emotions? Perhaps they are making artificial intelligence? Or maybe, the machines are making their own intelligence.

(assuming SOMA, isn't an acronym or something)

Soma - 1. the parts of an organism other than the reproductive cells
2. the body as distinct from the soul, mind, or psyche.

This, seems to be emulating the theme we've been think of. Ironically, I haven't bothered before to just "look up" the definition of these words.

The last man on Earth stood in a room.
There was a knock on the door.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 11:23 PM by HorrorElementFilms.)
11-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Website Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

So what's the deal with the guy who you put a robo-brain into? Are we going to have cyber zombies in this game? Are we gonna PLAY a cyber zombie?
11-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(11-08-2013, 11:38 PM)Alardem Wrote: So what's the deal with the guy who you put a robo-brain into? Are we going to have cyber zombies in this game? Are we gonna PLAY a cyber zombie?
(11-08-2013, 08:37 PM)Acies Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...IP1b8#t=43

I believe that the process seen above is how they 'copy a person'.
To expand on that: I do not think the people on the 'operating boards' are actually going to walk around like zombies, merely that when you die a copy of you is made - to preserve your consciousness.

The mind of the dead person is connected into a hub of other minds, under the illusion of still being alive. The dead 'copies' possibly interact and build a fantasy world for themselves.

As for being a 'cyber zombie'; maybe, in the sense that you might actually just be a mind connected into a illusionary world.

(11-08-2013, 11:19 PM)HorrorElementFilms Wrote: Could they be studying... emotions? As in human emotions? Perhaps they are making artificial intelligence? Or maybe, the machines are making their own intelligence.

(assuming SOMA, isn't an acronym or something)

2. the body as distinct from the soul, mind, or psyche.

This, seems to be emulating the theme we've been think of. Ironically, I haven't bothered before to just "look up" the definition of these words.
Definition number 2 does seem to fit into my card-house theory.. As for the 'studying', they might be aiming to create "immortality" (you live on forever through having your mind copied) :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

What interests me is the cold, business-like manner in which Reed addresses the Golaski-bot. It indicates to me that she's dealt with such machines before.
11-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Find
mmallory22 Offline

Threads: 0

Given the aforementioned Lovecraftian atmospheres, the possible outer space setting, and the fact that all the worst entities in Lovecraft's universe come from deep, unimaginable reaches of space, the antagonists of the game could be supernatural. A being like Nyarlathotep, the supposed "soul" of the amoral Outer Gods, could twist and warp the AI of the ship to turn on its crew in some horrifying way. I mean, Nyarlathotep's a jerk like that, and was ostensibly very good with technology in the books.

He (or it) also had a tendency to punish humans who delved too far into the mysteries of the outer universe. If people in SOMA are busy copying themselves, melding machine and man to achieve some kind of immortality, such a being might take affront and sabotage our efforts as punishment.

I hope something like this is the case, because I preferred the incomprehensible "Shadow" in the Dark Descent.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2013, 09:45 PM by mmallory22.)
11-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

(11-22-2013, 09:42 PM)mmallory22 Wrote: Given the aforementioned Lovecraftian atmospheres, the possible outer space setting, and the fact that all the worst entities in Lovecraft's universe come from deep, unimaginable reaches of space, the antagonists of the game could be supernatural. A being like Nyarlathotep, the supposed "soul" of the amoral Outer Gods, could twist and warp the AI of the ship to turn on its crew in some horrifying way. I mean, Nyarlathotep's a jerk like that, and was ostensibly very good with technology in the books.

He (or it) also had a tendency to punish humans who delved too far into the mysteries of the outer universe. If people in SOMA are busy copying themselves, melding machine and man to achieve some kind of immortality, such a being might take affront and sabotage our efforts as punishment.

I hope something like this is the case, because I preferred the incomprehensible "Shadow" in the Dark Descent.

Someone argued that an entity like Nyarlathothep was also the one behind Mandus' madness in A Machine For Pigs.

Personally, I hope we don't resort to the cliche of "man delving into things they shouldn't." Because, frankly, if the universe in which Frictional's games take place is chock-full of entities offended by humans, then it goes against the whole idea of human insignificance. Plus the Shadow was a rather rubbish antagonist IMO.

That being said, I would enjoy the idea of coming across alien entities in SOMA. Or machines created by aliens. Blending technology with 'magic', or blurring the lines between the two, is an idea that really needs to be explored more.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2013, 10:01 PM by Alardem.)
11-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Find
mmallory22 Offline

Never played AMFP. If they already went that way twice I suppose it's time for something new.

I also love the concept of blending science and magic, though. It's why I was really taken with the Dwemer in the Elder Scroll's series, and the Old Ones in Stephen King's Dark Tower universe. The idea that man advances to the point of reconfiguring the structure of creation was inspiring.
11-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Find
Gary Alexander Stott Offline

I have a crazy theory about an end-game plot twist.

What if you discover that you're actually experiencing everything from inside a machine, like The Matrix? You're a brain plugged into a malevolent A.I. computer, and it's making you experience this horrific ordeal. You beat the game thinking you've escaped and defeated the monsters or whatever...and then it restarts. You're back to the beginning. Maybe you have your memories wiped. Better yet, you don't!

That would also make it a total metagame. Every time you did a playthrough it'd be another cycle of malevolent computer torture.

Furthermore, it'd be in line with the philosophical ideas they've been referencing (like Descartes' whole 'I Think, Therefore I Am' maxim) by being a literal case of the 'brain in the machine' idea, and being exactly the sort of world Descartes was trying to argue against.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013, 07:54 PM by Gary Alexander Stott.)
12-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(12-19-2013, 07:52 PM)Gary Alexander Stott Wrote: I have a crazy theory about an end-game plot twist.

What if you discover that you're actually experiencing everything from inside a machine, like The Matrix? You're a brain plugged into a malevolent A.I. computer, and it's making you experience this horrific ordeal. You beat the game thinking you've escaped and defeated the monsters or whatever...and then it restarts. You're back to the beginning. Maybe you have your memories wiped. Better yet, you don't!

That would also make it a total metagame. Every time you did a playthrough it'd be another cycle of malevolent computer torture.

Furthermore, it'd be in line with the philosophical ideas they've been referencing (like Descartes' whole 'I Think, Therefore I Am' maxim) by being a literal case of the 'brain in the machine' idea, and being exactly the sort of world Descartes was trying to argue against.

1. Done to death
2. AMFP already sort of did that. I think. You probably have to be high to tell.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
12-20-2013, 03:50 AM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

Yup, that's way too obvious and overused for FG imho. Well there's no way to be sure about it yet, but I'd be disappointed if they didn't come with something a lot more twisted than this. So yeah, I am pretty sure we won't have any : "You were a robot all along roflol", because that's what everyone expects and they'd be tracking clues about this situation. Or at least I'd be.

12-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Find